Page 7 of 30 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: DREAM Act Failed - Crisis for America!

Quote Originally Posted by mikesandy View Post
    Found a contradicting article to what you claim.

National Literacy Policies/China

Literacy Rate 85.2 %
    Illiterate Population 142.0 million

This is back in 2002. A literate person is a person who can perform basic functions such as reading and writing.
    You just said that they are outperforming us in math and reading when they have a demonstrably lower literacy rate.

ORLY?

According to 2000 census data, 86.992 million adults in China were illiterate, 20.55 million of whom were between the ages of 15 and 50. Three quarters of these illiterates lived in rural areas. Seven provinces and regions had the highest illiteracy rates, including Tibet, Yunnan, Guizhou, Gansu, Qinghai, Ningxia and Inner Mongolia (Figures 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 and Tables 1, 2, 5 and 6) Tibet’s illiteracy rate was 37%-38%, the illiteracy rate of Yunnan, Guizhou, Gansu and Qinghai varied from 10%-15%, and the illiteracy rate of Inner Mongolia was 7%-8%.

Literacy in China - China Philanthropy
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Hit By Ban Bus!

It's 99% for the US on Wikipedia and 93.3% for China. There is also a margin or error according to this:

"Some use educational attainment data as a proxy, but measures of school attendance or grade completion may differ. Because definitions and data collection methods vary across countries, literacy estimates should be used with caution."

http://www.google.com/publicdata?ds=...tal+population

According to 2009 estimates, China's population is 1.33146 billion people. So if you are saying it's 86.9 million, I would round that number up to 87 million and create a basic math equation saying:

87 million people divided by 1.33146 billion people, which gives you 6.53% illiteracy.

The US population is about 300 to 305 million people, about to decipher it for the US now. First thing I found was that, so basically here's what the math is:

30 million people divided by 305 million people which gives you 9.83% illiteracy. It's the exact same figure as our country's unemployment rate.

All over the U.S.A. 30 million (14% of adults) are unable to perform simple and everyday literacy activities.[5]
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Functional_illiteracy

On a positive note, the United States is above the United Kingdom.

"The UK government's Department for Education reported in 2006 that 47 percent of school children left school at age 16 without having achieved a basic level in functional mathematics, and 42 percent fail to achieve a basic level of functional English. Every year 100,000 pupils leave school functionally illiterate in the UK."
    Last edited by mikesandy; December 20th, 2010 at 12:20 PM.

It's 99% for the US on Wikipedia and 93.3% for China. There is also a margin or error according to this:

"Some use educational attainment data as a proxy, but measures of school attendance or grade completion may differ. Because definitions and data collection methods vary across countries, literacy estimates should be used with caution."
    It looks even worse for China. They are a state-run country, who routinely block negative information about the country. It's probably a safe bet that to the extent that they look good at all, it's because they have cooked the books regarding education.

Moreover, the duration of compulsory education in China is only 9 years, vs. 12 in the United States.

Well to be fair, the US government only mandates education from 6-16. However, 13 grades is considered standard.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Hit By Ban Bus!

In my opinion, I believe that another reason of why the bill failed is because of an intellectual disconnect within us. I'd like for someone to challenge my post and make a claim that my mathematics are wrong.

In my opinion, I believe that another reason of why the bill failed is because of an intellectual disconnect within us. I'd like for someone to challenge my post and make a claim that my mathematics are wrong.

Intellectual disconnect? How so?

And why don't you challenge the fact that China sends immigrants back where they came from, if they just don't shoot them in the head first.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Well most of the cities on the Answers.com site are either Texas or California, where the Border Patrol is, which is a truly troubling thought.

And by the way Greysfang, I'm a black male. You're a black female. We just have different viewpoints. Nice debating this with you.

Also, it's not a problem for the Chinese because of where they are located. There are huge differences between the US and Mexico for us, so it's a geographical reason for why we have to deal with this issue.

Well most of the cities on the Answers.com site are either Texas or California, where the Border Patrol is, which is a truly troubling thought.

And by the way Greysfang, I'm a black male. You're a black female. We just have different viewpoints. Nice debating this with you.

Answers.com? You're fucking quoting answers.com? Seriously?

Quote Originally Posted by *DIVA! View Post
    My ancestors were brought here from their native land against their will.. we didn't get a DREAM ACT to pay for college! Our dream act is and was called student loans and the united negro college fund! Am I wrong for feeling that way? maybe?

DIVA!

I am a wimp when it comes to children and I feel bad thinking that there are kids who were brought her illegally without any real choice in the matter who are now taking it in the neck with a thing or two.

I am sorry for quite inadvertently causing you any disrespect at all.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    Answers.com? You're fucking quoting answers.com? Seriously?
    Well what's so wrong with it? What if it was Yahoo.com? Also, please take a quick look at this 2002 article. They aren't throwing the foreigners out?

http://www.hartford-hwp.com/archives/55/315.html

Also, it's not a problem for the Chinese because of where they are located. There are huge differences between the US and Mexico for us, so it's a geographical reason for why we have to deal with this issue.
    FYI, Border Patrol is in all 50 states.

Well what's so wrong with it? What if it was Yahoo.com? Also, please take a quick look at this 2002 article. They aren't throwing the foreigners out?

China to Adjust Immigration Policy to Attract Overseas Skills

We have those programs too, its called the A-1 visas.

And yet you stated that if faced with the same situation, China would have passed the Act because they're so much smarter than we are.

Hit By Ban Bus!

The article that I posted at least hints that they would have. If we could take a trip to China and examine their immigration policy documents, the reader can make a consensus saying, "Well, China would pass the DREAM Act".

The article that I posted at least hints that they would have. If we could take a trip to China and examine their immigration policy documents, the reader can make a consensus saying, "Well, China would pass the DREAM Act".

No, you can't.

Page 7 of 30 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread Information