Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Does this sound sexist to you? Barack Obama comments on Sarah Palin

^^I guess nobody finds McCain's POW story compelling?

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    ^^I guess nobody finds McCain's POW story compelling?
    John McCain was a POW? When was this?

Quote Originally Posted by dexter7 View Post
    Obama himself offered a noncommittal assessment of Palin during a television interview released Saturday. Speaking during a taping of CBS' "60 Minutes," Obama said of Palin "Obviously, she's a fine mother and an up-and-coming public servant" but added "It's too early for me to gauge what kind of running mate she'll be. My sense is that she subscribes to John McCain's agenda."

source Palin jumps into campaign fray: Gov. Sarah Palin | adn.com

why is the first thing he is commenting on her role as a mother? that's not the first thing anyone comments on a man when he is running for a public office....i certainly don't know too much about what a "fine" father biden is...

as a female, that just struck me as slightly offensive. yes, it's nice to know she is a good mother, but by obama bringing that up right away it makes me think he is trying to use her motherhood as a negative reminder that she may be to busy raising her children to be a good vice president.
    I think that is reaching for straws! Every candidate wants to be presented as a "good family man" and this is no exception. Biden was presented exactly the same way-he is a fantastic father. This isn't sexist at all,IMO. If it sounds negative, it is because one is searching for flaws to the point of ridiculous. They ALL best be good family people-look at Edwards downfall. Larcency would have gone over better!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by Quazar View Post
    John McCain was a POW? When was this?

I'd say the Civil War. He's old enough to remember it.

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    I think that is reaching for straws! Every candidate wants to be presented as a "good family man" and this is no exception. Biden was presented exactly the same way-he is a fantastic father. This isn't sexist at all,IMO. If it sounds negative, it is because one is searching for flaws to the point of ridiculous. They ALL best be good family people-look at Edwards downfall. Larcency would have gone over better!
    i'm not normally sensitive to sexist comments, which is why i'm surprised it caught my attention. my main concern is that it was the FIRST thing he said about her, not that he said it all. i doubt that anyone's first comment about biden was "he is a great father".

Considering she made her family one of the major planks of her public life right from the get-go, i don't think it's sexist
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

I posted this on the alleged pregnancy thread..however Palin herself speaks to the issue of sexism in this video.
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

McCain's life as a POW probably would of interested people more if they weren't reminded of it so many times, just a thought.

Re: OP
    No, no I didn't find it sexist, not at all.

Quote Originally Posted by dexter7 View Post
    why is the first thing he is commenting on her role as a mother? that's not the first thing anyone comments on a man when he is running for a public office....i certainly don't know too much about what a "fine" father biden is...
    Maybe because thats one of the first things out of HER mouth.. "i'm a mother of 5!' 'My newborn!' etc etc.

And I also see that as Obama not wanting to say anything offensive or incorrect, so he goes with the facts: she's a mother, and an up-and-coming public servant. Both true facts.

It is also clear that he, like the rest of America, is confused about her selection and in the dark on her views about most issues because she's never made her position clear on them.

yeah.. "i'm a mother of 5, so i know about multitasking"

yeah, well some of your kids came out retarded. Doesn't say much for your inherent genetic skills, lady.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

^^that is just rude, I don't care if you hate Palin- it's offensive to anyone here who might have a special needs child...

I've worked with special education kids before, and they're as sweet as can be, so they're very near to my heart and it really bothers me when people (especially grown adults) call them names. Plus it's not the mom's fault. I'm sure you didn't mean to offend, Grimm, but maybe you could just try and be a little more sensitive.
    Last edited by nycgirl; August 31st, 2008 at 01:11 PM.

I personally don't think there was anything wrong with what he said.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    yeah.. "i'm a mother of 5, so i know about multitasking"

yeah, well some of your kids came out retarded. Doesn't say much for your inherent genetic skills, lady.
    This is very, very offensive.

1) Calling special needs children "retarded"

2) Saying there is something wrong with women who give birth to children with special needs

You may not like Palin, but your post was totally uncalled for.

Not in my opinion. She's repulsive, and I'll say what I like about her anti-choice christian fascist, gay hating, retard kid spewing ass.

What's so sexist about bringing up what kind of mother she is? Especially if he thinks she's a good one?

The Republicans are really grasping for straws, here.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information