Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Doctor refuses to treat Obama supporters

Elite Member

I'm not going to flame you, Sunshine, but it is not quite the same situation.

A person who won't prescribe BCPs or the morning after-pill, etc. or a pharmacist who won't fill the prescription is objecting to the use of a specific medication. (And yes, I do have some problems with people who deny patients a treatment that has been FDA-approved, but that's another story.)

That's different from making a distinction based on the patient's politics. Ideally when I go to see a physician his or her political affiliation and mine should be moot. Ideally we shouldn't even know each others' political affiliation.

I said before that I think he's entitled to his opinion. And I really would rather not see him targeted--I'd prefer to see him be ignored. With that said, there are plenty of doctors who go into politics, on both sides of the aisle, and if that's what he wants to do, he should go for it. He might want to leave the actual patient care to someone who cares for patients.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine View Post
    He is not refusing to treat people he is suggesting that people who do not agree with him seek care some where else.
    Isn't advising people to go somewhere else kind of the same thing?

Maybe he'll lose a lot of business.

In a stunning, unexpected development the moron doctor in question doesn't even know what's in the health care bill.

Teabaggers will be teabaggers no matter how much education they have. Audio of the interview inside the link. Alan Colmes:

Cassell: Hospice cuts in 2012…Does the government want people to die slowly?

Colmes: Do you really think the government wants people dead?

Cassell: Well I think that they’re cutting all supportive care, like nursing homes, ambulance services…

Colmes: What to you mean they’re cutting nursing homes?

Cassell: They’re cutting nursing home reimbursements

Colmes: Isn’t what they’re cutting under the Medicare plan what was really double dipping; they were getting credits and they were getting to deduct them at the same time.

Cassell: Well you know, I can’t tell you exactly what the deal is.

Colmes: If you can’t tell us exactly what the deal is, why are you opposing it and fighting against it?

Cassell: I’m not the guy who wrote the plan.

Colmes: But if you don’t know what the deal is why are you speaking out against something you don’t know what the deal is?

Cassell: What I get online, just like any other American. What I’m supposed to understand about the bill should be available to me.

Colmes: It is; it’s been online for a long time; it’s also been all over the media…

AMERICAblog News: Florida doctor who posted sign about not wanting Obama supporters has no idea what's in health reform bill
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

^ How.... unsurprising.
    "Oh! I've been looking for a red suede pump!"
    - Marie (Carrie Fisher), When Harry Met Sally

Elite Member

Unsurprising, but scary. Doctors are supposed to practice 'evidence-based medicine,' where they diagnose and treat patients based on the aggregate of available high-quality data regarding what works and what doesn't.

I wonder if this guy reads his medical books and journals or if he just decides how to treat his patients based on what he thinks they say.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by BBDSP View Post
    I'm not going to flame you, Sunshine, but it is not quite the same situation.

A person who won't prescribe BCPs or the morning after-pill, etc. or a pharmacist who won't fill the prescription is objecting to the use of a specific medication. (And yes, I do have some problems with people who deny patients a treatment that has been FDA-approved, but that's another story.)

That's different from making a distinction based on the patient's politics. Ideally when I go to see a physician his or her political affiliation and mine should be moot. Ideally we shouldn't even know each others' political affiliation.

I said before that I think he's entitled to his opinion. And I really would rather not see him targeted--I'd prefer to see him be ignored. With that said, there are plenty of doctors who go into politics, on both sides of the aisle, and if that's what he wants to do, he should go for it. He might want to leave the actual patient care to someone who cares for patients.
    In my case I think it is kind of the same thing. The doctor refused to treat me (prescribe b/c) because of her political/religious stance (abstinence only). She could have put a sign up stating that she would not prescribe b/c to unmarried women, but she did not, causing me the aggravation and expense of having to get 2 exams. I was absolutely dumbfounded. I was fully an adult and she was aware that I was sexually active and refused to prescribe b/c. How utterly irresponsible. If I had gotten pregnant she would've opposed the abortion as well and probably would've voted to make it a criminal act, based on her politics. That's inexcusable. Was she stupid enough to think that if I couldn't get the pill I would stop having the sex she thought was so sinful/immoral or whatever?

Quote Originally Posted by travelbug View Post
    In my case I think it is kind of the same thing. The doctor refused to treat me (prescribe b/c) because of her political/religious stance (abstinence only). She could have put a sign up stating that she would not prescribe b/c to unmarried women, but she did not, causing me the aggravation and expense of having to get 2 exams. I was absolutely dumbfounded. I was fully an adult and she was aware that I was sexually active and refused to prescribe b/c. How utterly irresponsible. If I had gotten pregnant she would've opposed the abortion as well and probably would've voted to make it a criminal act, based on her politics. That's inexcusable. Was she stupid enough to think that if I couldn't get the pill I would stop having the sex she thought was so sinful/immoral or whatever?
    Doctors should have their licenses revoked for refusing to prescribe legal medication on moral grounds.

Here where I work, there are medical providers who refuse to see pts. who are asking for the emergency contraceptive pill, for religious reasons...

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    In a stunning, unexpected development the moron doctor in question doesn't even know what's in the health care bill.
    Not surprised at all.

I am surprised that Alan Colmes is still doing something in the media after breaking free of the InHannity.

Quote Originally Posted by visitor42 View Post

I am surprised that Alan Colmes is still doing something in the media after breaking free of the InHannity.
    I didn't know he was still working either!
    "Oh! I've been looking for a red suede pump!"
    - Marie (Carrie Fisher), When Harry Met Sally

Quote Originally Posted by cmmdee View Post
    Isn't advising people to go somewhere else kind of the same thing?

Maybe he'll lose a lot of business.
    Yeah, it's the same thing. If a doctor tells someone to get treatment somewhere else because of their personal feelings then it's the same as refusing to treat them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information