Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dear "Yes on prop 8" voters: Fuck you.

Elite Member

Everyone has the right to be happy, regardless of sexual orientation. The fact that this argument continues is ridiculous. Equal rights for everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    That made me laugh.
    That marriage didn't make me laugh. My divorce did, though! Hmm, maybe the laughter was fueled by the Belvedere at my divorce party?

This prop passing pisses me right off and makes me sad at the same time. Way to strip people of rights and treat them like second-class citizens all while hiding behind the bible. Morons.

Oh and that stupid light rail amendment sounded like a huge waste of money too. I'm disappointed in California for many reasons.
    Last edited by Beeyotch; November 5th, 2008 at 12:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RevellingInSane View Post
    That marriage didn't make me laugh. My divorce did, though! Hmm, maybe the laughter was fueled by the Belvedere at my divorce party?

dreaming about being on a lake in Ontario

The reason this stupid amendment passed is because they focused on education. They told people that we would have to start teaching about gay marriage in school. We already teach about homosexuality in school, but not until 6th grade or so. They teach it as a matter of fact, not right or wrong. Gay marriage would be taught the same way. However the Mormans who endorsed and paid for this new law really made it sound as if all the 1st and 2nd graders would be learning all about gay marriage and what it means. The other side tried to convince people that there was NOTHING in the law that would make that happen, but they just lied their way to passing it. My joy of Obama winning is tempered by this loss for gay Americans. Grimm is right, we need to get together and march on Sacramento, and Washington. Our next campaign should be equal rights for everyone whether they be , white, black, brown, religious, atheist, gay or straight.
    If I can't be a good example, then let me be a horrible warning.

Prop 8 is in no way protecting marriage, IMO. It is simply discriminating against a certain sector of our society. There is no reason, again IMO, that 2 adults who want to commit to each other should not be able to, regardless of sexual orientation. My husband voted yes on this proposition, and believe me, we had quite a discussion about it a few days ago. I was, however, pleasantly surprised to hear my 9y.o. daughter pipe in in the middle of our discussion "Daddy, there's nothing wrong with 2 gay people getting married! If they're in love, why shouldn't they?". Upon hearing that it had probably passed, both she and my 11y.o. son were somewhat disappointed...

we need a constitutional amendment. this is beyond ridiculous. I wonder if Obama had supported gay marriage would prop 8 have passed. I hate that largely the minority vote took marriage away from gays. It's insane.

To say that this is demoralizing is understating it, particularly as this ocurred in California. Yes, the state that is supposed to be more 'tolerant' and 'open' than the others.

I hate to harp on this, but the support this proposition received from certain groups to me was very disheartening. Someone else posted stats like majority of African Americans exit polled supported this proposition, about half Latinos, and 49 percent whites (not sure how others voted).

I mean, it's one thing to blame the religious nut boogeyman but all things considered when the right wing fundies aren't the only ones supporting this but average joes and janes that probably live and work next to you, it is very devastating.

In California of all places.

Hit By Ban Bus!

I've already had a close friend call me today about leaving California. He married his partner one month ago and doesn't even know if it's legal any more.

As for not allowing same-sex couples to adopt: it's so much better that they stay in orphanages or dubious foster homes than go to a loving couple who wants to take them on for life. WTF?

Yes, fuck you assholes.

Silver Member

The irony and heartbreaking factor is that most of the people who voted in favor were minorities. Not to mention the Yes on 8 campaign was run entirely on false claims and deliberately encouraged discrimination.

How was this proposition even allowed on the ballot? Taking away a right legally granted to citizens?? I'm sure as hell the supporters of this ban would be mad as hell if any of their rights were suddenly reverted.

Help fight the hypocrisy and sign this online petition: Re-open Proposition 8 for California Petition
    I'm a motherfucker and sell candles

Hit By Ban Bus!

Makes you wonder about Californians? Do they have Steakums stashed in the back of the freezer behind the tofu and do they secretly not wash out the soda cans they are supposedly recycling as well?

The world is topsy turvy now.

Quote Originally Posted by Valley Doll View Post
    Everyone has the right to be happy, regardless of sexual orientation. The fact that this argument continues is ridiculous. Equal rights for everyone!
    I agree. If 2 people are committed to each other and want to get married I don't feel the government has a right to prevent it.

Quote Originally Posted by flipstick View Post
    Makes you wonder about Californians? Do they have Steakums stashed in the back of the freezer behind the tofu and do they secretly not wash out the soda cans they are supposedly recycling as well?

The world is topsy turvy now.
    The unfortunate thing is that yes, California is viewed (and often times ridiculed and insulted for it) as being 'multicultural' and 'open.' But as we have seen, California is a huge state, and though San Francisco has its Castro and is viewed for the most part as gay friendly, outside of its confines 'average' Californians can be quite homophobic. Sure you can go to the central coast or even really far north, but really anywhere you go, from major metropolitan city to quiet suburb, California isn't quite as open as people may think. Homophobia I agree is still quite acceptable, even to those who are quick to criticize racism and other forms of hatred.

So again for this to happen in California is more than devastating, especially when this prop 8 movement didn't even originate in California but enough people were motivated by it to let it pass.

What also sucks is that if we try to fight this, then they'll scream that we are infringing on the voice of the people that voted to pass this proposition.

Quote Originally Posted by nana55 View Post
    The reason this stupid amendment passed is because they focused on education. They told people that we would have to start teaching about gay marriage in school. We already teach about homosexuality in school, but not until 6th grade or so. They teach it as a matter of fact, not right or wrong. Gay marriage would be taught the same way. However the Mormans who endorsed and paid for this new law really made it sound as if all the 1st and 2nd graders would be learning all about gay marriage and what it means.
    so true! my husband & i were talking about this. i really think a lot of people fell for the "if this passes, your kindergartener is going to be learning about how wonderful gay marriage is!" crap that those ads were spewing out. i wouldn't give a flying fig if my kid learned about gay marriage in school, but some people do care & feel that it's something that the parents should discuss with the child before the school does & those ads PREYED UPON those people. people are so stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by celeb_2006 View Post
    The unfortunate thing is that yes, California is viewed (and often times ridiculed and insulted for it) as being 'multicultural' and 'open.' But as we have seen, California is a huge state, and though San Francisco has its Castro and is viewed for the most part as gay friendly, outside of its confines 'average' Californians can be quite homophobic. Sure you can go to the central coast or even really far north, but really anywhere you go, from major metropolitan city to quiet suburb, California isn't quite as open as people may think. Homophobia I agree is still quite acceptable, even to those who are quick to criticize racism and other forms of hatred.
    exactly! yes, the bay area & l.a. area are more urban areas with more open-minded thinkers. but, a huge portion of california is agriculture & ag areas are generally quite conservative. the thought that the majority of california residents are progressive thinkers is a huge misconception.

i was seriously blown away by the number of "yes on 8" signs in my area...shocked! i even had the privelege of yelling at somebody putting up a yes on 8 sign on sunday afternoon.
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information