Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 266

Thread: David Letterman & Sarah Palin: war of words

  1. #91
    Elite Member kingcap72's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    10 miles from Pootie Tang
    Posts
    21,909

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Since Letterman and his guys are regular NY Times/Daily News/Post readers (and quote material from them frequently), it seems also likely that they would have seen a story and captioned photo describing which daughter was visiting NY with the Palins. And out of caution that they weren't making jokes about a 14-year-old, it might have been a good idea in retrospect to get that straight.
    While Letterman should've made sure that he had the right daughter before he made the joke, the Palins are milking this entire thing for all it's worth. Because if the Palins are so concerned about their 14-year-old daughter why are they constantly talking about it, even after Dave clarified that he was talking about Bristol?

    Just like it would be wrong for Dave to mention a 14-year-old girl in a sex joke, it's just as wrong for that 14-year-old's parents to now use this 14-year-old as a political pawn to keep themselves in the spotlight. Billy Ray Cyrus didn't continually harp this much on Jamie Foxx after he crossed the line with his Miley Cyrus joke.

  2. #92
    Elite Member cmmdee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Eva's Love Den
    Posts
    25,571

    Default

    ^ But it's the Palins. What else is to be expected from them? They are a bunch of lunatics.
    I bet Sarah thinks this will actually get her some points with women.

    HA
    HA
    HA

    Same woman who wouldn't say she was a feminist.

  3. #93
    Elite Member MohandasKGanja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Wherever my kids are
    Posts
    31,733

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    While Letterman should've made sure that he had the right daughter before he made the joke, the Palins are milking this entire thing for all it's worth. Because if the Palins are so concerned about their 14-year-old daughter why are they constantly talking about it, even after Dave clarified that he was talking about Bristol?
    Because if some guy at a party told a sexual joke about my 14-year-old, and then apologized by saying, "Whoops, I meant your 18-year-old.", I would still be offended enough to lay his ass out.

    So, while I am no fan of the Palins, I definitely feel that they have a right to their anger.

  4. #94
    Elite Member MohandasKGanja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Wherever my kids are
    Posts
    31,733

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    Just like it would be wrong for Dave to mention a 14-year-old girl in a sex joke, it's just as wrong for that 14-year-old's parents to now use this 14-year-old as a political pawn to keep themselves in the spotlight. Billy Ray Cyrus didn't continually harp this much on Jamie Foxx after he crossed the line with his Miley Cyrus joke.
    Well, for one I don't believe that they are using their daughter as a political pawn to keep themselves in the spotlight. Especially because Letterman's "apology" was essentially a non-apology.

    And second, Jamie Fox actually apologized for what he said about Cyrus and didn't try to shift the target of the joke onto an older daughter. And Letterman had made two jokes at Palin's daughter's expense, not just one.

  5. #95
    Elite Member sputnik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    fellow traveller
    Posts
    56,273

    Default

    jesus, get over it already.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

  6. #96
    Elite Member *DIVA!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    15,743

    Default

    It's not that serious!
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

    I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

  7. #97
    Elite Member kingcap72's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    10 miles from Pootie Tang
    Posts
    21,909

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Because if some guy at a party told a sexual joke about my 14-year-old, and then apologized by saying, "Whoops, I meant your 18-year-old.", I would still be offended enough to lay his ass out.

    So, while I am no fan of the Palins, I definitely feel that they have a right to their anger.
    Dave already said he thought it was Bristol not Willow. Which is an easy mistake since they look so much alike, and Willow had shades on. And as parents the Palins do have every right to be pissed no matter which daughter it was. But there's a line between righteous anger and fake anger, and they crossed it.

    And maybe the Palins should think about how it makes their 14-year-old daughter feel for them to continually keep talking about it to the press rather than just letting the matter fade away.

    Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Well, for one I don't believe that they are using their daughter as a political pawn to keep themselves in the spotlight. Especially because Letterman's "apology" was essentially a non-apology.

    And second, Jamie Fox actually apologized for what he said about Cyrus and didn't try to shift the target of the joke onto an older daughter. And Letterman had made two jokes at Palin's daughter's expense, not just one.
    The Palins & the GOP are using Willow as a political pawn the same way they used Bristol's pregnancy. Once the news hit about Bristol being pregnant they dragged Levi from Alaska and paraded them around like they were the perfect unwed teen couple who were going to get married and live happily ever after.

    And even after Bristol had the kid Palin paraded her around on the talk shows and got her a magazine cover. Which didn't make any sense, considering that she said in the campaign that Bristol's pregnancy was a 'private, family matter.'

    And Billy Ray Cyrus accepted Jamie's apology and didn't try to turn the entire thing into how 'the evil liberal media' is attacking conservatives.

  8. #98
    Elite Member NicoleWasHere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    kcmo
    Posts
    14,469

    Default

    Dead yet?

  9. #99
    Elite Member MohandasKGanja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Wherever my kids are
    Posts
    31,733

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    Dave already said he thought it was Bristol not Willow. Which is an easy mistake since they look so much alike, and Willow had shades on. And as parents the Palins do have every right to be pissed no matter which daughter it was. But there's a line between righteous anger and fake anger, and they crossed it.
    I don't see how someone has the ability to tell a parent how they should express their anger over something like that. And even with the clarification, Letterman still is making a sexual comment about their (unspecified) daughter. Two nights in a row.

    Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    The Palins & the GOP are using Willow as a political pawn the same way they used Bristol's pregnancy. Once the news hit about Bristol being pregnant they dragged Levi from Alaska and paraded them around like they were the perfect unwed teen couple who were going to get married and live happily ever after.
    I don't buy it. I think the Palins had a normal reaction to a guy making their daughter the butt of a sexual joke two nights in a row. And he hasn't apologized, so why should they let the matter drop? I don't see that as using their daughter as a pawn.

    Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    And Billy Ray Cyrus accepted Jamie's apology and didn't try to turn the entire thing into how 'the evil liberal media' is attacking conservatives.
    The key is that Jamie Fox made a one-time comment about Miley Cyrus and made a full apology. Letterman has only apologized for appearing to insult the 14 year old instead of the 18 year old.

    If the Palins want to stick up for their daughters by calling Letterman the old perv that he is, that's pretty reasonable.

  10. #100
    Elite Member kingcap72's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    10 miles from Pootie Tang
    Posts
    21,909

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    I don't see how someone has the ability to tell a parent how they should express their anger over something like that. And even with the clarification, Letterman still is making a sexual comment about their (unspecified) daughter. Two nights in a row.
    You're making way too big of a deal out of this, just like the Palins.

    And I stand by what I said. There's a line between righteous anger and fake anger, and the Palins have crossed it. And you didn't address my point about how the Palins aren't taking in to consideration how their 14-year-old daughter is feeling about them continually playing this up in the press.

    Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    I don't buy it. I think the Palins had a normal reaction to a guy making their daughter the butt of a sexual joke two nights in a row. And he hasn't apologized, so why should they let the matter drop? I don't see that as using their daughter as a pawn.
    What do you mean he hasn't apologized? He said that the joke was in poor taste and offered Palin the chance to come on the show, which would give her the perfect chance to blast him if she's still so upset about it.

    Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    The key is that Jamie Fox made a one-time comment about Miley Cyrus and made a full apology. Letterman has only apologized for appearing to insult the 14 year old instead of the 18 year old.

    If the Palins want to stick up for their daughters by calling Letterman the old perv that he is, that's pretty reasonable.
    The Palins kids aren't any different from other politicians kids. In fact, John McCain made a tasteless joke about Chelsea Clinton when she was about Willow's age or younger and the Clintons weren't dragging it out like the Palins are. Not to mention, SNL used to rip Chelsea Clinton and the Clintons, while naturally upset, didn't drag it out the way the Palins are.

    And you just contradicted yourself with the lines in bold. First, you said Letterman hasn't apologized and then you said he only apologized for appearing to insult Willow and not Bristol.
    Last edited by kingcap72; June 12th, 2009 at 02:37 PM.

  11. #101
    Elite Member sputnik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    fellow traveller
    Posts
    56,273

    Default

    the excessive moral outrage and posturing is so boring.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

  12. #102
    Elite Member MohandasKGanja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Wherever my kids are
    Posts
    31,733

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    the excessive moral outrage and posturing is so boring.
    True, but I've pretty much already said all I can say about Megan Fox's hammer thumbs, so I came back to this thread.

  13. #103
    Silver Member mama mia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    276

    Default

    Again..... I'm going to point out if this was Obama's kids there would be outrage unending!
    When Don Imus ran his mouth and said hateful things about the basketball players he was fired. Most of the stuff he did was unscripted off the collar kind of stuff. It doesn't make it right. But,
    Letterman's monologues are scripted. At the very least he should apologize in a sincere manner and not stand by his tacky rude non apology. He's become so liberal and angry, like many far left liberals.
    Why is it ok for some to say rude spiteful things about certain people (mostly conservatives) and not for others??? Imagine if Al Sharpton's kids were the ones attacked by Letterman? This double standard is sickening. We all have come to know who can be attacked and who can't!
    mama mia*
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails. - William Arthur Ward

  14. #104
    Elite Member Grimmlok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    In WhoreLand fucking your MOM
    Posts
    55,359

    Default

    lol far left liberals, wtf ever

    the US doesnt have any fucking far left liberals

    far left liberal in the US means anybody not toeing the conservative retard talking point memes.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

  15. #105
    Elite Member kingcap72's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    10 miles from Pootie Tang
    Posts
    21,909

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mama mia View Post
    Again..... I'm going to point out if this was Obama's kids there would be outrage unending!
    When Don Imus ran his mouth and said hateful things about the basketball players he was fired. Most of the stuff he did was unscripted off the collar kind of stuff. It doesn't make it right. But,
    Letterman's monologues are scripted. At the very least he should apologize in a sincere manner and not stand by his tacky rude non apology. He's become so liberal and angry, like many far left liberals.
    Why is it ok for some to say rude spiteful things about certain people (mostly conservatives) and not for others??? Imagine if Al Sharpton's kids were the ones attacked by Letterman? This double standard is sickening. We all have come to know who can be attacked and who can't!
    Well, recently the Washington Times ran a photo of the Obama girls with a story about murdered school children. Now, was that tasteless? Yes. But the difference is the Obamas, who had every right to be pissed, weren't bitching about it to everyone that would listen and the incident faded away. And Democrats weren't blowing it out of proportion saying that the paper wants the girls to be killed like Palin supporters are turning Letterman's joke into a discussion of his advocating rape.

    Imus is a racist who got fired because he made racist comments about the Rutgers women's basketball team. And the fact that you're actually trying to compare the Imus situation with Letterman is ridiculous. And how the hell did Al Sharpton become a part of this issue?

    But you're just proving what I said about how Palin and the conservatives are trying to turn this entire thing into an attack by liberals with all of this fake outrage.

Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 5
    Last Post: October 11th, 2008, 04:53 PM
  2. David Letterman’s Top Ten on Sarah Palin
    By mrs.v in forum U.S. Politics and Issues
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: October 3rd, 2008, 01:33 PM
  3. Sarah Palin’s words raise red flags
    By january in forum U.S. Politics and Issues
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: September 28th, 2008, 01:15 PM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last Post: January 23rd, 2008, 07:38 PM
  5. Replies: 12
    Last Post: March 6th, 2006, 10:41 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •