Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: David Letterman & Sarah Palin: war of words

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    The daughter at the game was Willow, who was 14. So, anyone who knew that (at a minimum, Willow's parents) would be envisioning a scenario where Rodriguez, however old he is, is impregnating a 14 year old.
    Willow was the daughter at the game, and the Palins have a right to be pissed. And Letterman should've been smart enough to find out which daughter was at the game before he made the joke.

Elite Member

Default re

1. People need to stop giving SP attention, even joking. It just gives her a platform.

2. Kids should remain off limits from this b.s. until they are reasonably mature. 18 is not mature--trust me, I've got an 18 year old daughter. Even if SP is responsible for pimping her kids out, they shouldn't have to suffer for it. Dave was an unfunny jerk and he knows it. Jon Stewart, for example, manages to be pretty funny about SP without going there.

3. The Obama kids are not being photographed any more than other presidents' kids over the years. Kids who are young enough to be living at the WH (rather than away at college or living on their own) are going to be at more events and will be photographed more.

I'm not saying the O's never pimp out their kids--I'm sure they do to some extent. They know a lot of Americans really love seeing their kids, and one of the ways Obama really related to a lot of voters and convinced them that he was OK was through his obvious love and concern for his kids. I am sure they also realize that it is a big deal for the country and the world to see African-American kids growing up in the WH. I am sure they realize that having these images seep into peoples' brains is helping to change the national consciousness.

Here's Letterman discussing the whole thing:
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-X6FUwBmclo[/youtube]

'In a segment that lasted over 7 minutes, Letterman read the statements issued by Sarah and Todd Palin expressing their outrage about parts of his Top 10 list and then went through the offending jokes one-by-one to both apologize for and defend their content. "I'm telling you, I recognize that these are ugly. These are actually ugly. These are borderline...but again, in an act of desperation to get cheap laughs, which is what I've been doing for the last 30 years," Letterman said.

Despite maintaining his usual tone of playful sarcasm as he discussed his flap with Palin, Letterman did respond seriously to the charge that he had made a rape joke about a 14-year-old girl: "These are not jokes made about her 14-year-old daughter. I would never, never make jokes about raping or having sex of any description with a 14-year-old girl," he said. Letterman insisted the jokes were intended to be about Bristol, who is 18-years-old. "Am I guilty of poor taste? Yes. Did I suggest that it was OK for her 14-year-old daughter to be having promiscuous sex? No."
    Letterman Responds To Palin Over Jokes (VIDEO)

Also in the segment he said he would never make jokes about rape or sexual abuse of any kind- and he didn't qualify it by saying mentioning a 14-yr old.

Somebody mentioned something about, Oh what if it was O's daughters...

The vast difference is that they do not have a knocked up/teenage bride teenager.

And again, when I heard the joke, I immediately thought Bristol and nowhere did he mention the word RAPE.

Play on, Letterman.

Doesn't matter who the parents are, joking about a minor getting raped is messed up. Joking about an adult getting raped is messed up. It's just too sketchy to be making jokes about. :/

I'm not a writer on the show so I cant' speak for certainty BUT I believe that the joke was intended to be aimed toward Bristol Palin and the point of the joke was to try play up the promiscuity angle...not a RAPE angle.
    "My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable and I'm just ferocious. I want your heart. I want to eat your children. Praise be to Allah." TEAM MILEY!!

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    oh for fucks sake, someone rape the 14 year old so everybody can shut up.

i still don't see what the big fucking deal is. people are making a scandal where there shouldn't be one. and really, extrapolating all the way to make this about rape? can you say far-fetched hystrionics much?
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

^ Well what else can be expected from Palintard?

I mean, Obama is a terrorist/anti-christ/Keyzer Soze according to her, so ...?

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    I'm more pissed off with Letterman for making me agree with Palin on anything after listening to that voice.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by lalala View Post

It's been noted that Obama communication strategy is a departure from what his predecessors have done, they've taken the scenarisation of their family life to another level, there's never been a regular delivery of "behind the scenes" pics of family life in the WH like there is now

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post

i still don't see what the big fucking deal is. people are making a scandal where there shouldn't be one. and really, extrapolating all the way to make this about rape? can you say far-fetched hystrionics much?
    Would you consider sex between Alex Rodriguez and 14-year-old Willow Palin to be statutory rape?

Would you consider sex between Alex Rodriguez and 14-year-old Willow Palin to be statutory rape?
    Sex between A-Rod and a minor would be statutory rape. But since Letterman said he was talking about Bristol I don't see where all of the rape talk is coming from. If he had said Willow then that's a different story.

it was a JOKE. he said it, it didn't really happen. there is a difference between joking about something, and the actual thing itself. it was a crack at a-rod and the palin family history of teen pregnancy. i still don't see why people are getting their panties in a twist over what is, at worst, a tasteless joke.
    i don't know how people can blow something like this out of proportion so much and start crying 'rape!'. sheesh.

also, as kingcap pointed out, he was obviously thinking about bristol because, come on, they look alike and you see a palin teenage daughter and of course everyone's mind goes directly to bristol and teen pregnancy.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I read about this and immediately thought about Bristol as well. I didn't even know Palin had any other daughters (besides the little girl).

dreaming about being on a lake in Ontario

Everyone has already said everything that needs to be said. However some people refuse to listen. He NEVER said rape, he thought it was Bristol at the game, and it was funny!
    If I can't be a good example, then let me be a horrible warning.

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread Information