Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: David Letterman & Sarah Palin: war of words

Quote Originally Posted by lalala View Post
    You're mixing up the political embarassment ant its subsequent exploitation that targets the parent (of coure it becomes news, we're not debating that) with puting the kid itself on the spot which is what is not acceptable and is not usually done either. Even in the thick of the campaign I don't recall renowned entertainers naming Bristol directly or saying anything sexual about her.

I don't remember hearing about politicians kids being usually targeted either, like Al Gore's son arrested for drug possession
    I really don't understand the point you're making. I already said that Letterman crossed a line if he was talking about Willow. Gore's son caught hell, and Bristol was, basically, being called a slut by some comedians.

Chelsea Clinton got ripped, especially by John McCain & SNL. Ron Reagan was the butt of a lot of jokes, so was Amy Carter. And the Bush twins were constantly being ripped for being underage drunks like their father. Politicans kids have been getting targeted for jokes for years.

It's been noted that Obama communication strategy is a departure from what his predecessors have done, they've taken the scenarisation of their family life to another level, there's never been a regular delivery of "behind the scenes" pics of family life in the WH like there is now
    When Kennedy was in office the media and public were clamoring for pictures of his 'family life' which is why some of the most iconic pictures from the Camelot era involved the Kennedy kids. Even after JFK was killed that fascination for his kids continued.

And the media and public have a high interest in the Obama's 'family life' inside the White House, since there haven't been young children there since Kennedy. That was a big talking point from the media right after he was elected last year. And NBC wanted the Obama girls included in their special last week and the Obama's said no.
    Last edited by kingcap72; June 10th, 2009 at 08:39 PM.

It's been noted that Obama communication strategy is a departure from what his predecessors have done, they've taken the scenarisation of their family life to another level, there's never been a regular delivery of "behind the scenes" pics of family life in the WH like there is now
    Actually, there haven't been that many photos of Sasha and Malia. The press has been instructed not to photograph them at their soccer games. The few that have appeared are around inauguration day or when they're out in public situations like visiting France. Even still, there haven't been that many photos of them.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    "These are not jokes made about her 14-year-old daughter. I would never, never make jokes about raping or having sex of any description with a 14-year-old girl...."

So, it would be A-OKAY to make jokes about raping Bristol because she's an 18-year-old??? What a f*cking idiot he is.

It would be nice if that woman he's kept at arm's length for about 12 years would bear him a daughter so he could feel some empathy.
    Nothing in Letterman's jokes said anything about raping one of Palin's daughters.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    Nothing in Letterman's jokes said anything about raping one of Palin's daughters.
    From his direct quote, he doesn't qualify his defense by saying he would never make a joke about rape. He says he would never make a joke about rape about a 14-year-old girl. The age is the distinction for him.

After watching the video from the Yankee game you see that Willow is wearing shades and you would swear it was Bristol. So, I'm going to give Dave the benefit of the doubt and say he thought it was Bristol and not Willow.

oh for fucks sake, someone rape the 14 year old so everybody can shut up.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    Two nights in a row he joked about the kid, the Spitzer stuff and the A-Rod jokes, so yes, I would agree.

The adults are all fair game, the kids should not be. I don't care who's kid it is. IRL if I saw an adult picking on a child I would think 'what a dick'...this is no different to me.
    ITA. Seems a lot of people here are brushing the joke off as not in poor taste simply because it was about someone directly related to Sarah Palin. I don't care if she preaches abstinence or screwing sheep for that matter, cutting down her kid is just low. I saw the clip. It really wasn't even funny. (Not that if it was, that would legitimize it...just makes it look more like a vendetta as someone mentioned earlier).

I get humor, I get that you take it with a grain of salt, all in good fun. But I can't help noticing the prejudice in this specific case; because the mother is somehow unacceptable some would take on a viewpoint that in other cases they wouldn't (i.e. so he said a 14 year old got knocked up and/or was a prostitute, big deal! But don't dare say that about the child of someone I politically agree with. That's totally different.)

And the "Who said he was talking about Willow?" argument is a joke. She was the only one there. Dave screwed up. He should have to deal with it.
    Burt Johnson: I don't drink because drinking affects your decision-making.
    Arthur: You may be right. I can't decide.

It's in bad taste no matter if it's Palin's kids or Obama's kids. I never thought it was funny when they picked on Chelsea, nor the Bush twins, and unless the 'kid' is over 18, they are not fair game. What a very low level sense of humor.

There was absolutely nothing funny about this.
    Do you recall when Obama stated on one of the morning shows that his wife and family are off limits?
    If any comic did a joke like that about Obama's daughters you better believe every liberal in the media would be having a fit!
    mama mia*
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails. - William Arthur Ward

i doubt it, liberals have a sense of humor and aren't hypocrites.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

When I saw it I assumed that he was talking about Bristol...and who said anything about rape??
    "My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable and I'm just ferocious. I want your heart. I want to eat your children. Praise be to Allah." TEAM MILEY!!

Quote Originally Posted by TheONe View Post
    When I saw it I assumed that he was talking about Bristol...and who said anything about rape??
    I think the rape reference is from the palin twitter mess ... something about dave joking about their 14 year old being raped

Quote Originally Posted by burnt_toast View Post
    I think the rape reference is from the palin twitter mess ... something about dave joking about their 14 year old being raped
    I get it but I meant that Letterman didn't say that the girl was "raped" by A-rod...he said that he "knocked her up". Many guys say that they "knocked up" their girlfriend and it has NOTHING to do with rape.
    "My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable and I'm just ferocious. I want your heart. I want to eat your children. Praise be to Allah." TEAM MILEY!!

Quote Originally Posted by TheONe View Post
    I get it but I meant that Letterman didn't say that the girl was "raped" by A-rod...he said that he "knocked her up". Many guys say that they "knocked up" their girlfriend and it has NOTHING to do with rape.
    if they are over 18 and the girlfriend is 14 ... it is legally rape. It's clearly inflammatory language chosen by the Palin's for that reason, but technically the joke was about rape.

Quote Originally Posted by burnt_toast View Post
    if they are over 18 and the girlfriend is 14 ... it is legally rape. It's clearly inflammatory language chosen by the Palin's for that reason, but technically the joke was about rape.
    But if Letterman was talking about Bristol, which I now think he was, then it has nothing to do with underage sex or rape.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    But if Letterman was talking about Bristol, which I now think he was, then it has nothing to do with underage sex or rape.
    The daughter at the game was Willow, who was 14. So, anyone who knew that (at a minimum, Willow's parents) would be envisioning a scenario where Rodriguez, however old he is, is impregnating a 14 year old.

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread Information