Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: David Letterman & Sarah Palin: war of words

Quote Originally Posted by *DIVA! View Post
    Agree..but where does it say he was talking about the minor girls..
    Once again, Willow Palin was the only Palin daughter to accompany her parents to NYC.

A government big enough to give you everything you want,
    is strong enough to take everything you have. ~Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by lalala View Post
    It's never been fair game to attack politicians' kids, especially on sexual matters and note that the girls you mention are presidents' children -obviously the most exposed - the Palins are targeted because of their social level
    Megan McCain has been the butt of jokes from both Dems and Republicans and her daddy wasn't president either. And Palin's kids are exposed because she's been pimping them out every chance she gets. And when Governor Abstinence Works has a teenage daughter get pregnant she opens herself up to ridicule.

I read it more as an insult to Spitzer than to whichever Palin daughter he was referring to (I'll concede that it's Willow, although it makes more sense if he was referring to Bristol). David Letterman isn't the most politically correct media figure and people have been taking jabs at her family for almost a year now, so I don't know why she decided to get all up in arms about it now.. but I agree, she's a minor so it's inappropriate to be making sexually suggestive jokes about her.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    Megan McCain has been the butt of jokes from both Dems and Republicans and her daddy wasn't president either. And Palin's kids are exposed because she's been pimping them out every chance she gets. And when Governor Abstinence Works has a teenage daughter get pregnant she opens herself up to ridicule.
    I know you don't agree with what Letterman said, but because the Palin's brought their 14 year old daughter with them to NYC, she *deserved* to be the butt of Letterman's jokes? Because that's what it sounds like you mean?

And as far as pimping kids out, let's be fair here. If she left them home, she'd be raked through the coals as a bad mom. It really is a no-win situation for Palin because those who dislike her will always find a reason to continue to dislike her.

But let's be fair then. Is Michelle Obama pimping out her kids by taking them to Europe and wherever they travel? Did she pimp them out by bringing them to the DNC, the inauguration, etc.? Or would she be a bad mom for leaving them at home?

A government big enough to give you everything you want,
    is strong enough to take everything you have. ~Thomas Jefferson

As far as I know, Megan McCain was the butt of fat jokes, not sexual jokes. Moreover, it seems like there was a lot of criticism of Laura Ingraham, from all but her most ardent supporters, for making the joke. If there were other jokes about McCain, I'm not aware of them.

With regard to pimping -- I don't think Palin's kids have been in the public eye and more than Obama's kids. Since Obama's kids are even younger, making these types of jokes about them would be even more egregious.

EDIT - I don't think it's that big a deal for someone to go after Megan McCain. She has put herself out in the media (in my opinion), and seems more than capable of handling herself.
    Last edited by MohandasKGanja; June 10th, 2009 at 04:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tkdgirl View Post
    I know you don't agree with what Letterman said, but because the Palin's brought their 14 year old daughter with them to NYC, she *deserved* to be the butt of Letterman's jokes? Because that's what it sounds like you mean?

And as far as pimping kids out, let's be fair here. If she left them home, she'd be raked through the coals as a bad mom. It really is a no-win situation for Palin because those who dislike her will always find a reason to continue to dislike her.

But let's be fair then. Is Michelle Obama pimping out her kids by taking them to Europe and wherever they travel? Did she pimp them out by bringing them to the DNC, the inauguration, etc.? Or would she be a bad mom for leaving them at home?
    Where did I say that Palin's daughter deserved to be the butt of a joke because she went to the game? When I said 'she opens herself up to ridicule' I was talking about Palin, not her daughter. Because Palin pushed the 'abstinence works' line and then Bristol got pregnant, which opened Palin up to ridicule.

And Michelle took her kids to Europe to be with their father. And all presidents bring their young kids to the inauguration and to the conventions. Just like McCain and Palin took their kids to the RNC, and they would've had their kids at the inauguration had McCain won. So, one has nothing to do with the other.

Now, Palin has been pimping her kids out, primarily Bristol, since the campaign ended. That's not to say that taking Willow to a game was pimping her out, because it wasn't.

Megan McCain is a different case altogether, she's become a political participant in her own right, she isn't the butt of jokes as McCain daughter and the fact that the jokes are of a sexual nature make it far more disrespectful. In the pregnancy/abstinence issue the ridicule or inconcistency is Sarah Palin's problem, she's the one that should be taken to task for that but the kid shouldn't be mentionned. Same thing for the kids pimping issue, you can take the parents to task about that but not the kids. And on the kids pimping it's the Obamas that are taking it too far at the moment with the regular release of WH cute family pictures which is usually not done outside of presidentials campaigns
    Last edited by lalala; June 10th, 2009 at 05:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lalala View Post
    Megan McCain is a different case altogether, she's become a political participant in her own right, she isn't the butt of jokes as McCain daughter and the fact that the jokes are of a sexual nature make it far more disrespectful. In the pregnancy/abstinence issue the ridicule or inconcistency is Sarah Palin's problem, she's the one that should be taken to task for that but the kid shouldn't be mentionned. Same thing for the kids pimping issue, you can take the parents to task about that but not the kids. And on the kids pimping it's the Obamas that are taking it too far at the moment with the regular release of WH cute family pictures which is usually not done outside of presidentials campaigns
    Whenever any politician, be it Palin or anyone else, takes a stance on a certain topic, and then one of their kids does something that flies in the face of that political stance then it becomes news. And if one of Obama's daughters was a 17, pregnant and on the campaign trail last year she would've been the butt of jokes, too.

As for the pictures of the Obama girls the Obamas have been releasing photos showing daily life in the White House. That includes their daughters. It's not like they're putting them on the cover of People magazine and collecting a check like Palin did with Bristol and her baby. And presidents who have teenage or younger kids living in the White House show photos of those kids. Dubya did it, Clinton did it, Kennedy did it, etc.

According to EW Letterman has said he was referring to Bristol.

David Letterman responds to flap over Sarah Palin jokes

Jun 10, 2009, 07:09 PM | by Josh Rottenberg
    Categories: News, Politics, Television

Taping tonight's episode of The Late Show, David Letterman took a few minutes to respond to Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, who called him "pathetic" in a radio interview after he made her and her family the butt of a recent Top 10 list. The late-night host had drawn particular fire from Palin and some pundits for a joke about one of Palin's daughters being impregnated by New York Yankees star Alex Rodriguez during a trip to Yankee Stadium. Camp Palin apparently took the joke to be a crack against Palin's 14-year-old daughter Willow, who had recently attended a Yankees game, but Letterman insisted today that the real target was 18-year-old daughter Bristol.
    “We were, as we often do, making jokes about people in the news and we made some jokes about Sarah Palin and her daughter [Bristol]... and now they’re upset with me…” Letterman says on tonight's show. "These are not jokes made about her 14-year-old daughter. I would never, never make jokes about raping or having sex of any description with a 14-year-old girl.... Am I guilty of poor taste? Yes. Did I suggest that it was okay for her 14-year-old daughter to be having promiscuous sex? No." Saying he hopes he's "cleared part of this up," Letterman extended an invitation to Palin to come on the show as a guest.
    David Letterman responds to flap over Sarah Palin jokes | TV, movie and music news | News, Politics, Television | EW.com
    "Just because I walked into a turd supermarket doesn't mean I have to buy anything." - John Oliver

Quote Originally Posted by tkdgirl View Post
    I actually doubt this, the part in bold. Everyone knows she has family in Alaska that can look after them for short periods of time. Palin has chosen not to do this. Palin chose to drag her kids all over the campaign trail so much that Piper admitted to Matt Lauer that she had a hard time catching up at school.
    [youtube]RD3iNdGCkfo[/youtube]

All the Palin girls do look alike, especially when they're not pregnant. Simple mistake.

Whenever any politician, be it Palin or anyone else, takes a stance on a certain topic, and then one of their kids does something that flies in the face of that political stance then it becomes news. And if one of Obama's daughters was a 17, pregnant and on the campaign trail last year she would've been the butt of jokes, too.
    You're mixing up the political embarassment ant its subsequent exploitation that targets the parent (of coure it becomes news, we're not debating that) with puting the kid itself on the spot which is what is not acceptable and is not usually done either. Even in the thick of the campaign I don't recall renowned entertainers naming Bristol directly or saying anything sexual about her.

I don't remember hearing about politicians kids being usually targeted either, like Al Gore's son arrested for drug possession

As for the pictures of the Obama girls the Obamas have been releasing photos showing daily life in the White House. That includes their daughters. It's not like they're putting them on the cover of People magazine and collecting a check like Palin did with Bristol and her baby. And presidents who have teenage or younger kids living in the White House show photos of those kids. Dubya did it, Clinton did it, Kennedy did it, etc.
    It's been noted that Obama communication strategy is a departure from what his predecessors have done, they've taken the scenarisation of their family life to another level, there's never been a regular delivery of "behind the scenes" pics of family life in the WH like there is now

According to EW Letterman has said he was referring to Bristol.
    damage control
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

^^ Yes, it's needed

"These are not jokes made about her 14-year-old daughter. I would never, never make jokes about raping or having sex of any description with a 14-year-old girl...."

So, it would be A-OKAY to make jokes about raping Bristol because she's an 18-year-old??? What a f*cking idiot he is.

It would be nice if that woman he's kept at arm's length for about 12 years would bear him a daughter so he could feel some empathy.

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread Information