Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: DADT Vote Coming This Week

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    , I'm going to drown you in that bottle of wine!

EDIT: i realize that as deaths go for you, it's not exactly a bad one

That's how legend says George Plantagenet was executed, drowned in a butt of Malmsey.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Who the hell is George Plantagenet? And dont' mke me google it. I'm too pissed. And stop mentioning my butt. I'm getting insulted.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

^ Edward IV & Richard III's brother. The first duke of Clarence. The brothers killed him, and legend has it they let him pick the method.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

Well the retarded "compromise" passed. Big fucking deal.

"Democrats, saying Republicans were mischaracterizing the proposal, noted that it *would not be implemented* if the Pentagon leadership determined that it would disrupt military readiness, unit cohesion or recruiting." - NYTIMES
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by buttmunch View Post
    Ok, fair points. But the fact is that you have any number of people who are liberal on most points but this one is a tough one for them. I say lead them gently to the light, don't bash them over the head. Or, you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar. At the end of the day the military brass can't, consitutionally, make policy, so they can give their recommendations but it's up to the government to make policy. And that, in this instance, means Congress.
    ITA.
    Tea baggers want to fight the Man because the Man doesn't look like them.

except in this case, that isn't happening.. power has been ceded DIRECTLY to the Pentagon over this.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Hit By Ban Bus!

^^And they sound PROUD of that fact.

I'm seeing people cheering about being so proud of their country. They actually think this is a done deal. Total bullshit.
    “The thing that attracts people to “The Sopranos” is the family element. It shows that America still has a longing for that traditional upbringing.” Christine O'Donnell

There's a massive misinformation campaign going on regarding this, starting from Obama himself and his press releases like this one:

Statement by the President on Votes to Repeal “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell”

I have long advocated that we repeal ‘Don’t Ask Don’t Tell’, and I am pleased that both the House of Representatives and the Senate Armed Services Committee took important bipartisan steps toward repeal tonight. Key to successful repeal will be the ongoing Defense Department review, and as such I am grateful that the amendments offered by Representative Patrick Murphy and Senators Joseph Lieberman and Carl Levin that passed today will ensure that the Department of Defense can complete that comprehensive review that will allow our military and their families the opportunity to inform and shape the implementation process. Our military is made up of the best and bravest men and women in our nation, and my greatest honor is leading them as Commander-in-Chief. This legislation will help make our Armed Forces even stronger and more inclusive by allowing gay and lesbian soldiers to serve honestly and with integrity.
    Naturally this is picked up by the media and repeated basically verbatim. That's where it starts. It's not THE repeal at all, but that's how it's being broadcast to appease the more uninformed electorate who, of course, are now crowing about what an accomplishment this is... even though it's the furthest thing from.

The second part of this, which is so reprehensible I want to puke, is this:

comprehensive review that will allow our military and their families the opportunity to inform and shape the implementation process

1) Who gives a flying fuck what the soldiers "think" about any new policy they're told to obey? Their job is to ask "how high" when their commander says "jump". That's it. Did they do this when they racially integrated the forces? No, they did not. It's 60 fucking years later and the process is even more backwards? Seriously?

2) Now the soldiers FAMILIES have to be consulted? Why? Wtf possible use is this? Are they serving? Are they in uniform? Are they impacted in any way? No, they aren't. Again, I ask: WHAT IS THE PURPOSE OF THIS.

This is so asinine on every level.

When you read the legislative language you can see that Congress simply punted the question back to the White House.

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d111:HR05136:

What they voted for is to sorta-kinda empower Team Obama to repeal DADT, if and only if he, his Sec of Def, and the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs promise Congress, in writing, that they’ll take all the blame if repeal screws anything up.

*** ATTENTION SERVICE MEMBERS ***

“DON’T ASK, DON’T TELL” IS STILL IN EFFECT

It is being widely reported that Congress is acting on legislation that would repeal “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell.” Regardless of what happens in Congress, it is important to remember that the legislation being considered, if and when it passes, will NOT go into effect immediately. “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” continues to be the law, and lesbian, gay, and bisexual service members remain vulnerable to being discharged on the basis of their sexual orientation.

While Congress is taking steps to enact a roadmap for full repeal and the implementation of open service, it is not safe to come out nor serve openly until the process of repeal is complete. During this time, continue to check with SLDN regarding changes in the law, changes to the regulations, and what impact, if any, these developments mean for your ability to serve openly.

Remember:
    - Do NOT come out.

- “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” remains the law until this process is complete.

- Lesbian, gay, and bisexual service members are still being discharged under “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” and they will continue to be discharged until this process is complete.

- Continue to check with SLDN to learn about how the latest political developments will impact your ability to serve openly.

Earlier this year, DoD made changes to how “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” is implemented – those changes remain in effect.

If you have questions about how the latest political developments may impact you, or about "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" in general, call 202-328-3244 x100 or email legal@sldn.org to schedule an appointment with an SLDN attorney.

The following is an alert SLDN's Legal Department issued on April 8 to remind gay and lesbian service members that they are still at risk under DADT despite changes to DoD regulations:
    Service Members Still at Risk under New DADT Instructions

Despite mainstream media reports that service members can no longer be outed by “third parties,” it’s important that the 66,000 lesbian, gay, and bisexual service members understand that they can still be fired under DADT – even if outed by so called “third parties.”
    We recognize that the new DoD Instructions (learn more here and here) further define what “credible information from a reliable source” may mean, but based on SLDN’s preliminary analysis, we cannot guarantee that service members are protected.
    The updated language does not change the fact that statements, acts, or same-sex marriage, are still grounds for discharge under DADT, including:
    A service member can still be fired if outed by his or her parents;

A service member can still be fired for revealing his or her sexual orientation while making a statement to the police that would prevent or help solve a crime;

A service member’s middle school teacher can still out the service member 10 years after he came out to her in social studies class;

A service member can still be discharged if he reports that someone has threatened to kill him for being gay;

A service member can still be fired for hugging someone of the same sex;

A service member can still be fired for getting married; and

A service member can still be fired for saying she would like to return from Iraq to care for her dying girlfriend.
    SLDN can say that under the new Instructions, LGBT service members can now safely talk to psychotherapists and clergy, in their professional capacities; safely talk to a medical professional in furtherance of medical treatment or a public health official in the course of a public health inquiry; and safely seek professional assistance for domestic or physical abuse.

While the psychotherapist, chaplain, and other medical professional protections might not greatly decrease the number of discharges under the law, the 66,000 lesbian, gay, and bisexual service members serving in the US and deployed to war zones around the world can breathe a little more easily… The impact of the rest of the changes has yet to be seen.

But one thing remains the same. At the end of the day, until Congress changes the law, lesbian, gay, and bisexual service members will continue to be fired simply for who they are.

For more information, service members should contact SLDN for legal advice.

Attention Service Members: DADT is Still in Effect | Blog | Servicemembers Legal Defense Network

Also note that Failbama hasn't issued an executive order for a stop/loss against any further discharges until this bogus, rigged study is completed in a YEAR.

Surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    ^ Edward IV & Richard III's brother. The first duke of Clarence. The brothers killed him, and legend has it they let him pick the method.
    That was nice of them to let him choose the method. Why did they kill him? I could go to google but I'm just home from a cocktail party and slightly buzzed...again. Really need to have a few quiet nights.

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

^ The usual. Treason, betrayal, plotting against big brother Edward.

God, you have to love those old school aristocrats. They don't fuck around.

--Sinclair Lewis

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information