Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: DADT has been repealed! 65-31

There was a column about McCain's bizarre behavior in the Post yesterday. He's a vindictive whackjob--no wonder he chose Sarah Palin:

John McCain at his fieriest before 'don't ask, don't tell' vote
    By Dana Milbank
    Saturday, December 18, 2010; 5:48 PM

If John McCain gets any more hostile toward his Senate colleagues, they might consider having him go through the metal detector before he enters the Capitol.

Saturday's debate on the repeal of the "don't-ask-don't-tell" policy was only half an hour old when the Arizona Republican burst onto the floor from the cloakroom, hiked up his pants and stalked over to his friend Joe Lieberman (I-Conn.) and Senate Majority Whip Dick Durbin (D-Ill.). Ignoring Sen. Jim Inhofe (R-Okla.), who had the floor, McCain hectored the men noisily for a few moments, waving his arms for emphasis.

When McCain finally stormed off, Durbin shook his head in exasperation and Lieberman smiled. A minute later, McCain returned - he had apparently remembered another element of his grievance - and resumed his harangue.

It turns out McCain's fury was stirred by a trifle - he had wanted more time for the debate, which the Democrats eventually gave him - but that was typical. It doesn't take much to set off McCain these days.

Earlier in the week, he was observed in the unseemly act of publicly gloating on the Senate floor over his success in killing a massive spending bill. He's also been raising hurdles to the ratification of the Obama administration's nuclear arms treaty with Russia. At the same time, he led the opposition Saturday to repealing the ban on openly gay men and lesbians serving in the military - taking on Lieberman, who led the other side.

McCain's statement on the floor was roughly one part argument, four parts tantrum. "So here we are about six weeks after an election that repudiated the agenda of the other side," he said, and those who would repeal don't-ask-don't-tell "are acting in direct repudiation of the message of the American people." (Actually, polls show support for repeal.)

He bemoaned "this bizarro world that the majority leader has been carrying us in," and taunted: "Maybe it will require another election." The Arizonan suggested those who vote to repeal would have blood on their hands. "Don't think that it won't be at great cost," he said, punctuating his words by bouncing on his toes and chopping with his left hand. It will "probably," he said, "harm the battle effectiveness which is so vital to the survival of our young men and women in the military."

McCain famously said in 2006 that he would support repeal once military leaders recommended it. Instead, he led the opposition to repeal. McCainologists in the Capitol speculate that on this and other issues he's driven less by policy consideration than by personal animosity. A decade ago, his antipathy toward President George W. Bush led him to seek common cause with Democrats to thwart a Republican president. Now his antipathy toward President Obama has made him a leading Republican hardliner.

On Saturday, McCain's rage was all the more striking because the general tone of the debate was tame. Republicans were mostly defensive, objecting not to the service of homosexuals in the military but to procedures and other technical matters. Sen. Saxby Chambliss (R-Ga.) said of the repeal: "Should it be done at some point in time? Maybe so, but in the middle of a military conflict is not the time to do it."

Such tactical arguments made it appear that the opponents were standing against the inevitable tide of history. Lieberman said the repeal would "advance the values that the founders of our country articulated in our original American documents."

In the end, McCain lost eight Republicans as the ban was easily overturned. This wasn't entirely surprising, because Defense Secretary Robert Gates (a Bush administration holdover) and Joint Chiefs Chairman Mike Mullen both argued passionately for repeal, and a Pentagon study forecast that a repeal would not bring significant harm.

McCain clung to the dissenting view of the Marine commandant, Gen. James Amos, who had warned that lifting the ban would create a "distraction" that could lead to battlefield injuries for U.S. troops. But assurances by Gates were good enough for Republican senators such as George Voinovich (Ohio), who defended his "yes" vote by saying he expects repeal "will be implemented in a common-sense way."

The loss of Republican votes, no doubt, made McCain even angrier. When it came time for his closing argument before the day's key vote, McCain spoke for only a few seconds: "Today's a very sad day. The commandant of the United States Marine Corps says when your life hangs on the line, you don't want anything distracting. . . . I don't want to permit that opportunity to happen and I'll tell you why. You go up to Bethesda Naval Hospital, Marines are up there with no legs, none. You've got Marines at Walter Reed with no limbs."

McCain turned and, without another word, walked into the cloakroom.

Lieberman later said that he expects his friendship with his volatile colleague to recover. "I don't think this will leave any scars," he said. "I just think we leave this fight knowing that I was right and he was wrong. I mean, it's as simple as that."

Uh-oh. Now McCain is really going to be steamed.
    Dana Milbank - John McCain at his fieriest before 'don't ask, don't tell' vote

Quote Originally Posted by Brookie View Post
    Can someone explain this deadly distraction to me, like I'm a 5-year-old? What is it? A hollow-point bullet is coming your way, and you're distracted by the reflection of the lipgloss color of the guy next to you? Is McCain THAT homophobic that he can't accept people for who they are? Does he not understand that any form of discrimination is (theoretically) illegal in this country?
    He assumes the military is loaded with homophobes who will be so uncomfortable around gays they will be a) distracted and get killed or b) do the killing.

That's the only thing I can figure. Either way it says "we're too hate filled to repeal this."

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    ""Today is a very sad day," McCain announced, detailing his continuing opposition to allowing gay and lesbian soldiers to be open about their sexuality. "There will be high-fives over all the liberal bastions of America," he predicted, from "the elite schools that bar military recruiters from campus" to "the salons of Georgetown" and the "talk shows" where people -- "most of whom have never have served in the military" -- will crow over the law's repeal.
    Allowing gays to serve openly in the Marines would prove a potentially deadly distraction McCain said, quoting from a Marine Corps Commandant warning, "and I don't want to permit that opportunity to happen.""

Deadly distraction LOL
    Wow McCain...

eat a hot bowl of dicks.

"But I am very poorly today & very stupid & I hate everybody & everything." -- Charles Darwin

"Trump is, in my opinion, the first woman president of the United States." -- Roseanne Barr

Any quotes from Fred Phelps and the Westboro Baptist Church on this yet?

For fucks sake, it's downright embarrassing that it had to come to all this! These old fuckers need to get over themselves that gay males are these predatory creatures just dying to jump on straight men and rape them in the middle of battle. Most people young enough to be in battle these days truly don't give a shit one way or another, much less feel this "deadly distraction" these old farts are pissing their depends over.

People born in this goddamned century (or since the sexual revolution) are way more comfortable about their sexuality and way more relaxed and open about sex in general than when these guys were coming up. I never met a single soldier in this day who, if in a tight spot in battle would seriously give two shits if the dude behind him rushing in to save his ass sucks dicks in his down time.

It makes me so embarrassed for this country that in 2010 this is something that requires agonizing debate.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

McCain clung to the dissenting view of the Marine commandant, Gen. James Amos, who had warned that lifting the ban would create a "distraction" that could lead to battlefield injuries for U.S. troops
    Where do these folks obtain their evidence? How does a soldier's sexual orientation provide a distraction? Especially one large enough to cause battlefield injuries? (Unless he's talking about an increase in torn anuses, in which case, I could get it.)
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Elite Member

John McCain disgusts me. He is just a bitter old man who will be remembered only for his political cravenness and the fact that he foisted Caribou Barbie on us. After losing the presidency and managing to be re-elected to what will probably be his last term as senator, he had the chance to say 'fuck it' and vote his conscience. If this is what his conscience tells him to do, then fuck him.

Quote Originally Posted by Brookie View Post
    Where do these folks obtain their evidence? How does a soldier's sexual orientation provide a distraction? Especially one large enough to cause battlefield injuries? (Unless he's talking about an increase in torn anuses, in which case, I could get it.)
    Probably anecdotal stuff, and maybe reading some message boards.

I do admit that I'm not too sure how those in direct action combat units, the infantry types, will handle this. That small group is the one that is seemingly the most hostile against the concept of openly gay people in their midst.

Smile I Love You MrsDark

For fucks sake, it's downright embarrassing that it had to come to all this! These old fuckers need to get over themselves that gay males are these predatory creatures just dying to jump on straight men and rape them in the middle of battle. Most people young enough to be in battle these days truly don't give a shit one way or another, much less feel this "deadly distraction" these old farts are pissing their depends over.

People born in this goddamned century (or since the sexual revolution) are way more comfortable about their sexuality and way more relaxed and open about sex in general than when these guys were coming up. I never met a single soldier in this day who, if in a tight spot in battle would seriously give two shits if the dude behind him rushing in to save his ass sucks dicks in his down time.

It makes me so embarrassed for this country that in 2010 this is something that requires agonizing debate.
    ^ This ^

I heard that there's some kind of amendment going on that will have individual states bring back DADT and ban gay soilders from enlisting. Is that true cause if so, then WTF?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Authority View Post
    I heard that there's some kind of amendment going on that will have individual states bring back DADT and ban gay soilders from enlisting. Is that true cause if so, then WTF?
    It would figure, and be in line with Barry's usual fuckovers.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Authority View Post
    I thought there was one crazy-ass Republican member of the Virginia House of Delegates who wants to draft legislation to ban gays from serving in the Virginia National Guard. That's all I've heard of. Don't know if there's anything else afoot. This is the guy (Bob Marshall) who said if you abort your first baby, the following ones will be handicapped because God demands the first born be dedicated to him.

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by MrsDark View Post

yes!

I am so glad this thing at least seems to be over. Yeah Grimm is right, we havve alot of things that still need remedied(DOMA, etc), but this is still a victory and should be savored as such(even with the fucking tax cuts..ugh).

The best thing about this is the surveying they did about the actual military(you know, the young men and women who actually do all of the fighting, and dying) and(in contrast to the older head up the ass leaders, really did not care about this and treated this basically as a non issue. That says alot about the generations coming up-there is a seperation between the leaders and the rank-in-file in the military. They actual soldiers, sailors, etc who make up the fighting forces for the most part do not give a shit about this issue. Which says ALOT I think, and it is all good.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information