Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: DADT has been repealed! 65-31

Elite Member

I remember when Bill Clinton was elected and he said he was going to remove restrictions against gays serving in the military. Then he came up with the dreaded DADT. It made my heart sink to think of discrimination not just being tolerated, but enshrined in an institution. I'm glad this was finally righted.

My only worry is if the Republitards will find a way to overturn it, especially if they take the WH in 2012. I hope not. I do not want to go backwards.

I got the the email from Obama at like 5:45 eastern time where he takes full credit for keeping his campaign promise to overturn DADT. I, while maybe being a little gullible, will go forward believing that he compromised on the tax issue to get this done. In two years, even if he loses, it will be a mute point and the opposition will have other issues to deal with.

I'm very happy with this news!
    Currently reading:Firefly Lane, Kristin Hannah

Quote Originally Posted by Str8_uncut-jock View Post
    I got the the email from Obama at like 5:45 eastern time where he takes full credit for keeping his campaign promise to overturn DADT. I, while maybe being a little gullible, will go forward believing that he compromised on the tax issue to get this done. In two years, even if he loses, it will be a mute point and the opposition will have other issues to deal with.
    I think I agree with you, esp. if they ratify the START treaty and pass the First Responder's bill.
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

Quote Originally Posted by Str8_uncut-jock View Post
    I think he's a longer-term thinker. He wanted legislation opposed to a court decision that could be tied up in appeals forever.

He's fucked either way ... this will not be a feather in his cap to conservative homophobes and the extreme liberals will punish him for the tax compromise. Re-election is a hard sell.

Personally, I'm thrilled this is done and I'll give him the credit for it.

Quote Originally Posted by CornFlakegrl View Post
    I think he's a longer-term thinker. He wanted legislation opposed to a court decision that could be tied up in appeals forever.

He's fucked either way ... this will not be a feather in his cap to conservative homophobes and the extreme liberals will punish him for the tax compromise. Re-election is a hard sell.

Personally, I'm thrilled this is done and I'll give him the credit for it.

The problem with our country for as long as I remember is that we've been playing to the extreme liberals and the conservative homophobes and religious nutjobs. It's the vast majority in the middle that have been wholly forgotten. If he's starting to remember that we all still exist, it's a plus.

Frankly, his closest comparison in my book is Clinton, who got creative and compromisey with the beginning of the uber-unreasonable right and the "Contract with America" in 1994. But, unlike Clinton's early years, Obama did actually get some healthcare reform through.

I HATE the tax compromise, because tax cuts (historically) have done nothing but cripple this country's prosperity and future. I thought the estate tax and the stupid SS were nonsensical giveaways. I thought he could have gotten away with the income extension in exchange for the unemployment extension and left it at that - the estate tax is particularly egregious (as a deficit component) when compared to the 1st Responder's health care bill, which is deficit neutral.

/babble-rant.
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

At long last.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I'm very happy about this. About f-ing time.

1) DADT was ended, by a judge,. Obama got it reinstated with an appeal.

2) Reid slapped some shitty non-repeal DADT language into a defense authorization bill that failed. I remind you that this language didn't repeal anything.. just gave permission to repeal, at some point, whenever the PEntagon felt like it, if ever.

3) This bill HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH OBAMA. It was a standalone Lieberman bill, if you can believe it. Of course Obama, not having anything to do with it, will take credit for it. He's done that with a lot of things, like the Hate Crimes bill he had nothing to do with.

4) How about DOMA? ENDA? UAFA? No? Still nothing?

5) If *anybody* says "be happy with what you get" i'll tear your fucking throat out. The gays are still not equal. They ain't step'n fetchit.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Another perspective on Reid and the White House's involvement:

Harry Reid:
    Reid, too, deserves enormous credit for helping shepherd DADT repeal through the Senate. Though watching his efforts was one heck of a roller-coaster ride, in retrospect it's clear that he handled this in very shrewd fashion. Before the vote on the defense authorization bill containing DADT repeal, which the GOP successfully blocked, Reid made a whole range of concessions to GOP moderates, bringing them to the brink of casting a Yes vote.
    When it became clear that Susan Collins's procedural demands risked throwing the lame-duck session into chaos, Reid's decision to fast-track the vote at that time was roundly criticized. In retrospect, it turns out this move allowed moderates the room to register their procedural objections with a first-round No vote. As Reid knew, he could then schedule a second, stand-alone vote, giving the moderates a bit more time and maneuvering room -- and another series of private meetings with military leaders -- to come around to the Yes camp. It's hard to know whether Reid originally intended to do this -- or whether he only did it under pressure -- but he did it.
    And Reid was right to schedule the DADT vote before getting New START resolved -- again under heavy pressure, but again, he did it -- forging forward despite GOP threats that so doing could scuttle the START treaty.
    The White House:
    Finally, the White House. Obama had been criticized for months on don't ask don't tell, with advocates complaining that his administration aggressively defended DADT in court and that he wasn't doing enough to rally the Senate to pass repeal. But the botton line is that the White House did everything possible to create the political climate necessary to make this happen. The Pentagon report and the testimony by Robert Gates -- and his public round of interviews calling on Congress to pass repeal for the good of the military -- were major game-changers.
    Also: For all the criticism of the Obama tax deal, today's victory stands as partial vindication of his strategy. Getting the tax deal wrapped up early made the time for repeal, with only days left in the lame-duck session.
    This is an important victory for the White House in another way. It will quiet all the talk about Obama's supposed "triangulating," because it demonstrates -- for the time being, anyway -- that even as the White House sees a need to trade away some core liberal priorities to compromise with Repubilcans, Obama seems to want to bring the left along with him, to whatever degree he can. This will make it tougher to argue that Obama's strategy is to deliberately alienate the left in order to win back the middle of the country.
    This moment in the Senate will take its place in the history books alongside other ground-breaking civil rights votes, and stands as an important reminder that as broken as our system seems at times, progress towards a more just and inclusive society is still possible.

""Today is a very sad day," McCain announced, detailing his continuing opposition to allowing gay and lesbian soldiers to be open about their sexuality. "There will be high-fives over all the liberal bastions of America," he predicted, from "the elite schools that bar military recruiters from campus" to "the salons of Georgetown" and the "talk shows" where people -- "most of whom have never have served in the military" -- will crow over the law's repeal.
    Allowing gays to serve openly in the Marines would prove a potentially deadly distraction McCain said, quoting from a Marine Corps Commandant warning, "and I don't want to permit that opportunity to happen.""

Deadly distraction LOL
    "But I am very poorly today & very stupid & I hate everybody & everything." -- Charles Darwin

"Trump is, in my opinion, the first woman president of the United States." -- Roseanne Barr

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    ""Today is a very sad day," McCain announced, detailing his continuing opposition to allowing gay and lesbian soldiers to be open about their sexuality. "There will be high-fives over all the liberal bastions of America," he predicted, from "the elite schools that bar military recruiters from campus" to "the salons of Georgetown" and the "talk shows" where people -- "most of whom have never have served in the military" -- will crow over the law's repeal.
    Allowing gays to serve openly in the Marines would prove a potentially deadly distraction McCain said, quoting from a Marine Corps Commandant warning, "and I don't want to permit that opportunity to happen.""

Deadly distraction LOL
    Well of course! If everyone's just allowed to be openly gay in the military, before you know it they won't have time to defend their country because they're too busy giving each other make-overs!

Can someone explain this deadly distraction to me, like I'm a 5-year-old? What is it? A hollow-point bullet is coming your way, and you're distracted by the reflection of the lipgloss color of the guy next to you? Is McCain THAT homophobic that he can't accept people for who they are? Does he not understand that any form of discrimination is (theoretically) illegal in this country?
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

SVZ

There are soldiers with NO LIMBS!

NO LIMBS!

Quote Originally Posted by Brookie View Post
    Can someone explain this deadly distraction to me, like I'm a 5-year-old? What is it? A hollow-point bullet is coming your way, and you're distracted by the reflection of the lipgloss color of the guy next to you? Is McCain THAT homophobic that he can't accept people for who they are? Does he not understand that any form of discrimination is (theoretically) illegal in this country?
    The straight soldiers will be distracted by the gay soldiers trying to shag them in mid battle, silly!
    But seriously, that guy is a bloody idiot.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information