View Poll Results: Is President Trump

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • a) the greatest president in the history of the US, folks!

2 6.45%
  • b) definitely in the top 45

29 93.55%
Page 200 of 207 FirstFirst ... 100150190196197198199200201202203204 ... LastLast
Results 2,986 to 3,000 of 3095
Like Tree5832Likes

Thread: Cult 45 The politics catch-all thread

Source: CNN

Kelly expected to resign soon, no longer on speaking terms with Trump

By Kaitlan Collins, CNN

Washington (CNN)John Kelly is expected to resign as White House chief of staff in the coming days, two sources familiar with the situation unfolding in the West Wing tell CNN.

Seventeen months in, Kelly and President Donald Trump have reached a stalemate in their relationship and it is no longer seen as tenable by either party. Though Trump asked Kelly over the summer to stay on as chief of staff for two more years, the two have stopped speaking in recent days.
    Trump is actively discussing a replacement plan, though a person involved in the process said nothing is final right now and ultimately nothing is final until Trump announces it. Potential replacements include Nick Ayers, Vice President Mike Pence's chief of staff, who is still seen as a leading contender.
    Kelly has been on the verge of resigning or being fired before, only to bounce back every time. But aides feel the relationship can't be salvaged this time. Trump is becoming increasingly concerned about Democrats taking over the House in January, and has privately said he needs someone else to help shape the last two years of his first term, which he predicts will be politically focused. He has complained repeatedly that Kelly is not politically savvy.

The expected departure would end a tumultuous tenure for Kelly, who was brought on to bring order to the White House but whose time as chief of staff has often been marked by the same infighting and controversy that has largely defined Trump's presidency from its beginning. Many of the storms in which Kelly became embroiled were by his own making.
    CNN reported last month that Trump was considering potential replacements for several senior positions in his administration as part of a post-midterms staff shakeup.
    News of Kelly's imminent departure was first reported by Axios.
    Once seen as stabilizing force

When Kelly first replaced Reince Priebus as chief of staff last summer, he ruled with an iron fist. He curbed Oval Office access, blocked certain outsiders from being able to call the White House switchboard and had broad authority over staffing.
    But in the last months, Kelly has seen his status as chief of staff diminish. Trump began circumventing many of the policies and protocols he enacted, and he was on the verge of being fired or resigning numerous times.
    Trump often vacillated between criticizing and praising Kelly, sometimes within minutes of each other. Kelly started holding increasingly fewer senior staff meetings -- once daily occurrences were whittled down to weekly gatherings -- and began to exert less control over who talks to the President.
    White House officials believed Kelly was close to resigning after he got into a heated shouting match with national security adviser John Bolton in October. Bolton had criticized Department of Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen during an Oval Office discussion about the border, and Kelly stormed out of the West Wing after their profanity-laced argument spilled over into the hallways.
    Controversial tenure

Kelly's tenure working for Trump was pocked with controversies, and officials were often amazed at how he managed to survive. Weeks after taking over for Priebus, his predecessor who was unceremoniously fired over Twitter while he sat on a rainy tarmac, Kelly was faced with Trump's controversial response to the racially charged protests in Charlottesville, Virginia. He was photographed looking grim-faced in the lobby of Trump Tower as the President declared there were "good people" on both sides of the racist violence.
    At times, Kelly was the source of his own downfall. He insulted Rep. Frederica Wilson, D-Florida, using inaccurate information, later declaring he would "never" apologize. He said some of those eligible for protections under the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals were "lazy."

But perhaps most damaging was his handling of the situation involving former staff secretary Rob Porter, who was accused by two of his ex-wives of abuse. Kelly's shifting accounts caused his credibility inside the West Wing to plummet, and it never truly recovered, according to officials. Kelly's highly criticized handling of the Porter controversy was an inflection point in his tenure, and some of his internal relationships became strained in the months that followed the former staff secretary's ouster.
    This story is breaking and being updated.

CNN's Kevin Liptak, Jeff Zeleny, Jeremy Diamond and Sarah Westwood contributed to this report.

Trump administration shuffle: Live updates

By Brian Ries, Jessie Yeung and Amanda Wills, CNNUpdated 4 min ago11:03 a.m. ET, December 7, 2018

4 min agoJustice Department officials praise Trump's choice of Barr

From CNN's Laura Jarrett and Ariane de Vogue
    Officials at the Department of Justice are thrilled with William Barr's nomination as the next attorney general, according to multiple current and former officials. He’s universally seen as solid, reliable conservative, but also someone who can get confirmed.
    One lawyer who had been nervous for the President's pick said the choice of Barr was good for morale.

“As compared to other potential picks, this is a great choice,” the official said.
    The source called Barr a “very mature choice,” and said when Barr emerged as the frontrunner, people at Justice Department were hoping he’d be the pick “because he’s tough he’s principled and he’s independent.”
    Chuck Cooper, Sessions’ lawyer, also praised the pick, saying Barr served “honorably and well, earning the respect of people on both sides of the aisle. He is a fine man and a great choice to head the department.”
    As for how quickly Barr could be confirmed, one congressional source notes it’s usually at least two months from nomination to confirmation, and said if the appropriate paperwork gets to the Hill in time, a hearing could be held in January.

18 min agoWhat Barr has said about the Mueller probe, Comey’s firing and political pressure to investigate Clinton

From CNN's Tammy Kupperman
    In light of the President’s decision to nominate William Barr to replace Jeff Sessions as attorney general, here is a brief collection of comments Barr has made on big topics.
    May 12, 2017: Barr writes a Washington Post op-ed "Former attorney general: Trump made the right call on Comey"
    Barr calls Comey “extraordinarily gifted” but says in announcing the Clinton findings, “he crossed a line that is fundamental to the allocation of authority in the Justice Department.” He said it is “not surprising that Trump would be inclined to make a fresh start at the bureau and would consult with the leadership of the Justice Department about whether Comey should remain.” "I think it is quite understandable that the administration would not want an FBI director who did not recognize established limits on his powers," Barr wrote in a Washington Post op-ed in May 2017. "It is telling that none of the president's critics are challenging the decision on the merits."
    He also said, “No matter how far along the president was in his own thinking, Rosenstein’s assessment is cogent and vindicates the president’s decision.”
    July 5, 2017: Barr tells the Washington Post that he would have liked Mueller have more balance on his team
    "In my view, prosecutors who make political contributions are identifying fairly strongly with a political party ... I would have liked to see him have more balance on this group.”
    May 18, 2017: Barr tells the World he is "confident" Mueller won’t let the investigation "degenerate into a sprawling, ceaseless witch hunt"
    “His appointment is good news for those concerned over the troubling way the investigation was handled over the summer and fall, as well as the many government leaks,” Barr told the World. He added, “I am confident that Mueller will keep his eye on legitimate areas of inquiry and not let this investigation degenerate into a sprawling, ceaseless witch hunt to ‘get something’ on the president’s associates.”
    June 17, 2017, Barr told The Hill an obstruction investigation is “asinine,” when asked about a media report, and warns the Special Counsel risks “taking on the look of an entirely political operation to overthrow the president.’”
    Now, legal experts are debating the veracity of two bombshell reports in the Washington Post. One story said Trump is the target of an obstruction investigation. A second said that the financial transactions of Trump’s son-in-law, Jared Kushner, had attracted the scrutiny of the special counsel. Kushner’s spokesman said that it is “standard practice” for the special counsel to request records associated with the investigation.
    Barr, the former attorney general, said the media stories were overblown. Most of what is going on now is early, normal course investigative work that says nothing about the special counsel’s ultimate findings, Barr said. ‘I suspect the Washington Post story exaggerates the maturity of the investigation,’ he told The Hill. ‘I don’t think it has crystallized to that point.’
    Barr also called the obstruction investigation ‘asinine’ and warned that the special counsel risks ‘taking on the look of an entirely political operation to overthrow the president.’”
    Nov 17, 2017, Barr tells the NYT what he would do in Sessions’ situation with the President’s pressure to investigate Hillary Clinton
    “There is nothing inherently wrong about a president calling for an investigation.”He added though, “Although an investigation shouldn’t be launched just because a president wants it, the ultimate question is whether the matter warrants investigation.” In the same story, the NYT says Barr sees more reason to investigate uranium One than Trump-Russia collusion allegations and said, “To the extent it is not pursuing these matters, the department is abdicating its responsibility.”
    Nov 3, 2017, Barr tells the Washington Post there is nothing wrong with the President saying he thinks an area should be investigated
    "The president is the chief executive and, if he believes there's an area that requires an investigation, there's nothing on its face wrong with that, there's nothing per se wrong about that.” He also told the Post, that saying throwing Clinton in jail is not appropriate, but there are things he said he thinks should be investigated. According to the Post, Barr said, "I don't think all this stuff about throwing [Clinton] in jail or jumping to the conclusion that she should be prosecuted is appropriate," Barr added, "but I do think that there are things that should be investigated that haven't been investigated."
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

“What was challenging for me,” Tillerson said, was “to go to work for a man who is pretty undisciplined, doesn’t like to read, doesn’t read briefing reports, doesn’t like to get into the details of a lot of things, but rather just kind of says, ‘This is what I believe.’ ”
    "See, he's a man of faith." -- evangelicals
    Beeyotch and C_is_for_Cookie like this.
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

Trump is becoming increasingly concerned about Democrats taking over the House in January, and has privately said he needs someone else to help shape the last two years of his first term, which he predicts will be politically focused. He has complained repeatedly that Kelly is not politically savvy.

BIB:
    Brookie likes this.

Laurence Tribe‏@tribelaw

WOW: The Dec 7 filing in SDNY on Michael Cohen’s sentencing charges that President Trump (aka “Individual 1”) directed a criminal conspiracy with his attorney Cohen to violate the federal election laws in order to increase his odds of winning the presidency by deceiving voters.

Brad Heath
    @bradheath

This is new. Federal prosecutors have said for the first time in a court filing that Cohen committed campaign finance crimes "in coordination with and at the direction of" President Trump.

I love the lines about Individual 1, who at that time had assumed the Office of the Presidency, sprinkled throughout.

SDNY Sentencing Report: https://www.documentcloud.org/docume...cing-memo.html

Special Counsel Sentencing Report: https://www.documentcloud.org/docume...cing-Memo.html
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

From what I'm reading, Cohen cooperated with Mueller a lot more than with SDNY. SDNY is a little frustrated with him.
    Last edited by MohandasKGanja; December 7th, 2018 at 05:43 PM.

Great blind item! I wonder who it could be...
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

^^^ Kirk Douglas!
    witchcurlgirl likes this.

Manafort submission...I audibly groaned when I got to redactions.

https://www.documentcloud.org/docume...cing-Memo.html
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

Brookie likes this.

***** celeb

Elite Member

He didn't read anything he did a search for his name and bam nothing so he's cleared
    Individual 1 is definitely Kirk Douglas, I will crack up if Trump says this he actually might.
    C_is_for_Cookie likes this.

Another interesting thing that analysts were saying was the part about Manafort (or Manafort's lawyer) continuing to talk to Trump's lawyers after Manafort had already reached a plea cooperation agreement with Mueller. Supposedly, that cooperation agreement would have ended the joint defense agreement. The fact that they were still talking with each other is an ethics violation for lawyers. One analyst said something like, "I don't know what was going on that Trump's and Manafort's lawyers would risk their licenses...."

I was hoping Individual 1 was Toothy Tile.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

Last edited by HWBL; December 8th, 2018 at 04:43 AM.

***** celeb

Here's the full transcript of James Comey's hearing yesterday:

https://oversight.house.gov/wp-conte...Redacted-1.pdf

Thread Information