View Poll Results: Is President Trump

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • a) the greatest president in the history of the US, folks!

3 8.82%
  • b) definitely in the top 45

31 91.18%
Page 17 of 462 FirstFirst ... 71314151617181920212767117 ... LastLast
Like Tree15440Likes

Thread: Cult 45 The politics catch-all thread

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post
    I feel like we've been living through this nightmare for at least a decade. I can't believe it's only been a year and a half!
    Same here, we had elections around the same time and things went so fast downhill my mind is spinning. And it seems to get worse. But this is also happening in so many countries right now I almost can't believe it's real. What scares me most is the magnitude of the situation. At this rate one of these lunatics is going to start a nuclear war in less than 1 year. And even then their supporters will defend them. It's Soros' fault anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by redcat View Post
    Same here, we had elections around the same time and things went so fast downhill my mind is spinning. And it seems to get worse. But this is also happening in so many countries right now I almost can't believe it's real. What scares me most is the magnitude of the situation. At this rate one of these lunatics is going to start a nuclear war in less than 1 year. And even then their supporters will defend them. It's Soros' fault anyway.
    There was an article on one of the news sites this morning saying that Bannon is raising a big war chest and creating an organization to promote authoritarian, right-wing leaders in Europe.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    There was an article on one of the news sites this morning saying that Bannon is raising a big war chest and creating an organization to promote authoritarian, right-wing leaders in Europe.
    A bit late. They are doing fine without him anyway.

The Russians want that spy Butina turned over to them right away. Trump will probably do it because he knows that a trial for her would reveal all of the Republicans that she slept with to get info from.
    redcat and Fly_On_TheWall like this.

Source: Bloomberg

Russia Tells U.S. That Arrest of Butina Is Unacceptable

By Anatoly Medetsky
    July 21, 2018, 5:09 PM

Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov said that the U.S. arrest of Russian Maria Butina on suspicion of trying to infiltrate Republican circles and acting as an unregistered foreign agent was unacceptable.

In a telephone conversation with U.S. Secretary of State Michael Pompeo, the top Russian diplomat said the charges against Butina were fabricated and called for her prompt release, according to a Foreign Ministry statement.

Butina was ordered jailed in the U.S. on July 19 until her trial on charges she conspired to establish a back channel between Russians and American politicians. She faces an additional charge of operating in the U.S. as an unregistered agent of Russia. Prosecutors said she had ties to Russia’s intelligence services and oligarchs who could offer her safe harbor. She pled not guilty.

Among other issues, Lavrov and Pompeo also discussed possible cooperation between Russia, the U.S. and other countries in solving Syria’s humanitarian crisis. They also talked about efforts to denuclearize the Korean peninsula.
    The case is U.S. v. Butina, 18-cr-00218, U.S. District Court, District of Columbia (Washington).

Source: The Guardian

Russia tells US to release alleged spy Maria Butina after 'fabricated charges'

Russian foreign minister Sergei Lavrov addresses Butina’s detention in call with US secretary of state Mike Pompeo

The alleged Russian agent Maria Butina in an undated photo from her Twitter account. Photograph: Handout/Reuters

Russia’s foreign minister told his American counterpart on Saturday a woman arrested in the US on accusations she was a Russian agent was detained on “fabricated charges” and should be released.

Sergei Lavrov made the comments about Maria Butina in a phone call to the US secretary of state, Mike Pompeo, that was aimed at improving bilateral relations, the Russian foreign ministry said in a statement in the wake of the recent summit in Helsinki.

On Wednesday, a US judge ordered Butina jailed until her trial after prosecutors argued she had ties to Russian intelligence and could flee the country.

Butina has been accused of working with a high-powered Russian official and two unidentified US citizens, trying to infiltrate the National Rifle Association and influence US policy toward Russia.

Lavrov said the actions of the American authorities, who arrested Butina “on the basis of fabricated charges”, were unacceptable and called for her release as soon as possible.

Lavrov and Pompeo also discussed ways to improve bilateral relations on “equal and mutually beneficial grounds” after Vladimir Putin and Donald Trump met in Helsinki on Monday.

They also talked over possible joint efforts aimed at improving the humanitarian situation in Syria, the statement said, and the “challenges” of nuclear talks with North Korea.

Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

this should be exciting!!! I almost Wonder if Russia doesn't actually care about her and is asking about her so the Trump can turn them down and look like he is being firm for a change. Eight-way chess!!!
    ShimmeringGlow and Brookie like this.

MohandasKGanja likes this.
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

UPDATE: The Cohen-Trump tapes seized by FBI were among the items shielded by attorney-client privilege. But it was Trump side that waived the privilege, not Cohen. Not sure I understand this strategy; seems to have backfired on WH.

Quote Originally Posted by ShimmeringGlow View Post
    UPDATE: The Cohen-Trump tapes seized by FBI were among the items shielded by attorney-client privilege. But it was Trump side that waived the privilege, not Cohen. Not sure I understand this strategy; seems to have backfired on WH.
    I think the theory was this - Cohen was having this conversation with DJT "after the fact". The damage-control theory would be that this is not conspiracy, but rather finding out something that Cohen already did. However, in the discussion, DJT supposedly says to cut a check instead of pay cash. That would NOT be an after-the-fact conversation. But it shows that he lied about the affair with McDougal. Lied about any payoffs. And lied about knowing anything about it. Moreover, because Pecker was the "payer", it now draws him into this because the Independent Counsel can now try to find out whether Pecker violated FEC laws by making what is tantamount to a payment to the Trump campaign (it happened something like two weeks before the election, I think?). This opens up Pecker to testifying about his intentions and whether he was paid back by Cohen or Trump, as well as to providing a bunch of paperwork on who was paid what and when.
    ShimmeringGlow likes this.

Yeah, this sure is a tangled web. It sounds like someone on Trump’s team really screwed up by waiving the attorney/client privilege, especially when it had already been deemed privledged by the independent special masters that are reviewing all of the evidence that was seized in the FBI raid on Cohen.

But this article .... https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/21/polit...ege/index.html .... sounds like privilege was waived on GUILIANI’S word that it wouldn’t show Trump in a negative light, when in fact, it’s the exact opposite. I’ve read also that Trump’s other attorneys are flipping out about giving away privilege. Looks like Giuliani is going to be without a job in 3 ... 2 ....
    ShimmeringGlow likes this.
    "No. I love my grudges. I tend to them like little pets." -Madeline Martha Mackenzie

Spirituality is not religion. Religion divides people. Belief in something unites them.

Don't tell me not to worry ... worrying is what I do best!

Friends of Michael Cohen have noticed that since Helsinki he's been more openly questioning Trump's fitness. "It's one thing for him to be concerned about his suitability ... It's quite another thing to be concerned about [Trump's] loyalty to his country." https://t.co/NUHLdiwF1C
    Brookie likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nevan View Post
    Yeah, this sure is a tangled web. It sounds like someone on Trump’s team really screwed up by waiving the attorney/client privilege, especially when it had already been deemed privledged by the independent special masters that are reviewing all of the evidence that was seized in the FBI raid on Cohen.

But this article .... https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/21/polit...ege/index.html .... sounds like privilege was waived on GUILIANI’S word that it wouldn’t show Trump in a negative light, when in fact, it’s the exact opposite. I’ve read also that Trump’s other attorneys are flipping out about giving away privilege. Looks like Giuliani is going to be without a job in 3 ... 2 ....
    That does bring up an interesting question - who is Trump's attorney with regard to this particular matter? I'm not sure it's Giuliani, actually. I thought Giuliani was just providing legal advice in terms of how to shape this for the the media. Jay Seculow is a constitutional attorney and seems to be representing Trump with regard to Independent Counsel, and will become more important as issues like impeachment possibly arise.
    Nevan likes this.

Butina must have a lot of info on a lot of people.
    Brookie likes this.

Barack Obama is South Africa to commemorate Nelson Mandela's 100 birthday. Usually, an embassy will offer whatever assistance is needed to a travelling US official, especially a former president. The WH instructed the embassy to offer only minimal security assistance, something unheard of in diplomatic circles.
    Brookie and C_is_for_Cookie like this.

I heard there's not much of a staff at the SA embassy right now, including no ambassador.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Thread Information