Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Conservatives turning on John McCain

^^ Amen to that!

Dammit. Now I am longing for happy hour.

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    you can disagree of course...but we weren't discussing how you vote....

but if you think 'Conservatives' are going to vote for a pro-choice, pro-gun control, liberal dem........well, we'll have to disagree.....because then they wouldn't be conservatives.....
    Not to belabor the point, but Obama isn't pro-gun control in any realistic use of that term. He believes the 2nd amendment is a right that applies to individuals. Just goes to show that assumptions are made by the public without much attention paid to the issues. Stereotyping all Dems as freedom-hating "libruls" dontcha know.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

Quote Originally Posted by cupcake View Post
    Ha! as soon as I saw this I knew it was goiing to say Washington Post and The Atlantic..figures...& means nothing
    *Fingers in ears*
    LALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALA

Quote Originally Posted by ManxMouse View Post
    Not to belabor the point, but Obama isn't pro-gun control in any realistic use of that term. He believes the 2nd amendment is a right that applies to individuals. Just goes to show that assumptions are made by the public without much attention paid to the issues. Stereotyping all Dems as freedom-hating "libruls" dontcha know.
    My point was they would rather fight than switch....and if they really are conservatives, they'll go with the guy that's closer to their beliefs even if they dislike him.

Obama did support a state ban in IL and in other local areas, which does not endear him to gun rights voters

FactCheck: Yes, Obama endorsed Illinois handgun ban

Obama was being misleading when he denied that his handwriting had been on a document endorsing a state ban on the sale and possession of handguns in Illinois. Obama responded, "No, my writing wasn't on that particular questionnaire. As I said, I have never favored an all-out ban on handguns."

Actually, Obama's writing was on the 1996 document, which was filed when Obama was running for the Illinois state Senate. A Chicago nonprofit, Independent Voters of Illinois, had this question, and Obama took hard line:

35. Do you support state legislation to:
    a. ban the manufacture, sale and possession of handguns? Yes.
    b. ban assault weapons? Yes.
    c. mandatory waiting periods and background checks? Yes.
    Obama's campaign said, "Sen. Obama didn't fill out these state Senate questionnaires--a staffer did--and there are several answers that didn't reflect his views then or now. He may have jotted some notes on the front page of the questionnaire, but some answers didn't reflect his views." Source: FactCheck.org analysis of 2008 Philadelphia primary debate Apr 16, 2008

Respect 2nd Amendment, but local gun bans ok

Q: You said recently, "I have no intention of taking away folks' guns." But you support the D.C. handgun ban, and you've said that it's constitutional. How do you reconcile those two positions?
    A: Because I think we have two conflicting traditions in this country. I think it's important for us to recognize that we've got a tradition of handgun ownership and gun ownership generally. And a lot of law-abiding citizens use it for hunting, for sportsmanship, and for protecting their families. We also have a violence on the streets that is the result of illegal handgun usage. And so I think there is nothing wrong with a community saying we are going to take those illegal handguns off the streets. And cracking down on the various loopholes that exist in terms of background checks for children, the mentally ill. We can have reasonable, thoughtful gun control measure that I think respect the Second Amendment and people's traditions.
    Barack Obama on Gun Control

They may not be big issues to all, but to conservatives these would be important
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

No, he's not in lockstep with the NRA but supports individual ownership for protection, sports, hunting, etc. The extreme gun nuts at the fringe of the right wing were never going to vote for him anyway.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information