Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Congresswoman told to 'get back in the kitchen'

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by buttmunch View Post
    I swear my head will explode if any more of this repug 'let's go back to the good old days, like the '50's' one more time. Guess what, repugs, women were popping pills and getting sauced at noon due to the extreme and utter boredom of their lives.
    Yep, see Mad Men.
    Tea baggers want to fight the Man because the Man doesn't look like them.

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    i agree we are our own worst enemies but i don't think it's because of the examples you listed - those are pretty harmless, courtship ritual type things or men being gentlemen. where i think we betray ourselves is in bigger ways: women are almost always the ones to give up their careers, whether for kids or to move somewhere because their partner got a job (you don't see many men following their girlfriends/wives while they pursue their careers), women are the ones who continue to change their names when they get married, to do most of the housework even when they work outside the home, to take on most of the childcare, etc...
    Yep. And they keep on doing those things, even as they complain about a lot of them.
    Only the good die young.........................
    bitches like me live forever!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by crumpet View Post
    Yep. And they keep on doing those things, even as they complain about a lot of them.
    But several of those things are tied in with women's lesser earning power, which holds true even when you take out of the equation that women often choose lower-earning professions, and only compare apples to apples. It's a vicious cycle. Also, I think the fact that spawning is an unequal proposition from the start sets a tone -- pregnancy, labor, breastfeeding cannot truly be shared -- and it takes an extremely proactive woman and willing man to make the load equal thereafter. Because once the kid is of an age where childcare can be equally shared, the household roles are are usually set and require a significant shift in mindset and practical duties.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

Quote Originally Posted by ManxMouse View Post
    But several of those things are tied in with women's lesser earning power, which holds true even when you take out of the equation that women often choose lower-earning professions, and only compare apples to apples. It's a vicious cycle. Also, I think the fact that spawning is an unequal proposition from the start sets a tone -- pregnancy, labor, breastfeeding cannot truly be shared -- and it takes an extremely proactive woman and willing man to make the load equal thereafter. Because once the kid is of an age where childcare can be equally shared, the household roles are are usually set and require a significant shift in mindset and practical duties.
    I agree with you, but tough cookie. I get sick of listening to women (mothers or not) whine about how they just have to do everything because their husbands won't ______. First of all, you choose relationships, they don't choose you....so why did you pick someone who repsects you so little they will sit on their ass while you bust yours? Yes, men can't share pregnancy duty, but they can do everything else afterwards (except breastfeeding but not everyone does that and that can be done via bottle as well). What I have observed are women who complain that they get no help but when the guy steps up to do a task the women still bitch about it being done a different way. I do think women can be very martyred and controlling that way and they need to give it up. My friend whines all the time about how hard she has it but her husband is a better spouse and parent than her and I think deep down she just really wants to be the only or main one that the kid wants for eveything because it feeds her ego on some level. It's like subconsciously many women think that this mommy/parent thing is their one area of expertise where we can always outshine the men and it ends up feeling like it's our turf and we want to protect it even as we get burned out. To me that is a classic example of women being our own worst enemies.
    Only the good die young.........................
    bitches like me live forever!!!!!!!!!!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information