Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Confirmed: Sarah Palin is John McCain's VP pick

We can't just go for things that would work for the short term. For a lot of Americans, domestic drilling might sound good, and work now, but what about later, in the future?

Quote Originally Posted by ManxMouse View Post
    Um, no. You were talking up these surpluses in terms of what a great accomplishment she made. Fluffy was pointing out that all oil-producing regions are able to have such surpluses, hence the wealth in places like Dubai. Not that more domestic drilling is a good plan for us in terms of producing wealth or a long-term (or even near-term) energy solution. Try to stay on topic.
    Actually, two things: putting the interests of her state first AND tackling energy issues.

Get 'em, Alice!

A government big enough to give you everything you want,
    is strong enough to take everything you have. ~Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by NicoleWasHere View Post
    We can't just go for things that would work for the short term. For a lot of Americans, domestic drilling might sound good, and work now, but what about later, in the future?

well there you go...it's a two part problem

you need a two part solution....one for now, and one long term..

you have to do something now, while preparing for long term..maybe not drilling, but something

we are not prepared to go off oil now, and no matter who gets into office we won't be prepared in 5 years...

the world needs oil now.....while coming up with alternatives

And Alice.....you tell them sister.....remind them of Eleanor of Aquitane, Isabella the She wolf of France, Elizabeth I, Margaret Thatcher, and Edith Wilson, who ran the US while Woodrow recovered from his stoke
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Quote Originally Posted by crumpet View Post
    She's a woman that's staunchly anti-abortion, which won't play well with a lot of women.
    Unfortunately, there are lots of women who aren't content to be abortion free for themselves, but who also want abortions to be illegal for all other women,too. Most of use here just don't hang around with those women, but they exist in large numbers. There are even women who still believe only men should be in charge of anything. Go figure.

At the end of the day, there will be either a black president or a female vice president. I'm impressed we've come this far. I feel the same way. The fact that the higher ups recognize that this is something the general public wants to see is a statement in itself regardless of the outcome of this election. It is the beginning of seeing more non-white and female candidates in positions of power. A breakthrough has occured.

i agree with both of these statements, except for the first one where crumpet says "unfortunately". i don't agree with abortion rights, and i am excited to see a woman running who shares my beliefs. plus, it's awesome that yes, either a black man or a woman will be in the white house.

Quote Originally Posted by tkdgirl View Post
    Actually, two things: putting the interests of her state first AND tackling energy issues.

Get 'em, Alice!
    The first is not a virtue in the national arena, and there was no tackling of energy issues.
    Who's Alice?

Quote Originally Posted by dexter7 View Post
    i agree with both of these statements, except for the first one where crumpet says "unfortunately". i don't agree with abortion rights, and i am excited to see a woman running who shares my beliefs. plus, it's awesome that yes, either a black man or a woman will be in the white house.
    why should a woman who doesn't share your beliefs have your beliefs thrust upon her body?
    Last edited by Tati; August 29th, 2008 at 03:01 PM.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    strawman argument...
    No it's not when you think about the fact that Alaska does not have the infrastructure upkeep of even a state like Utah.

Alaska has oil resources, but she still budgeted well.
    Income from oil and natural resources make up most of the budget. Without it, Alaska could not give lifetime health care benefits to teachers who teach in Alaska for only 5 years. Now tell me another state that does that!

the governor before her had the same oil resources, but no surplus, and no tax rebate.....
    The price of oil has risen significantly since she's been in office. Thus, she had a bargaining chip with the oil companies that her predecessor did not necessarily have.

Hit By Ban Bus!

A real roll of the dice, props. to McCain on having the balls to roll them - now lets see if he lives to regret it.

For the record, I'm not opposed at all to McCain having picked a woman, just this woman. Someone with some substance and experience would have been a much better choice, and there are plenty of women with that, which makes me wonder why he chose Palin. He turned a brilliant move into a potentially huge liability.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

well there you go...it's a two part problem

you need a two part solution....one for now, and one long term..

you have to do something now, while preparing for long term..maybe not drilling, but something

we are not prepared to go off oil now, and no matter who gets into office we won't be prepared in 5 years...

the world needs oil now.....while coming up with alternatives
    But, with the current state that the economy is in, wouldn't domestic drilling just make it worse? The oil would be in higher demand, since it's IN our country, being drilled for, wouldn't it cause prices of oil and gas to spike? What if a hurricane happened to hit one of these domestic drilling sights? How fucked would we be, then?

I don't see how having more oil will solve the short-term energy crisis either if we don't have the refinery capacity to process it. Or at least that was the excuse two years ago when gas prices went up to $3, that the refineries can't keep up with demand.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

^ it won't thats already been established. we're running out permanently

why should a woman who doesn't share your beliefs have your beliefs thrust upon her body?
    thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    I don't see how having more oil will solve the short-term energy crisis either if we don't have the refinery capacity to process it. Or at least that was the excuse two years ago when gas prices went up to $3, that the refineries can't keep up with demand.
    Most people don't realize that the oil infrastructure can't support a large increase in oil production as people so desperately seem to believe. Offshore oil drilling can't increase dramatically because there are no spare oil offshore, let alone deep water oil rigs, available. The same goes for the rest of the oil producing infrastructure, which has large rust and aging problems. This will come to the forefront within the next few years when more rigs and pipelines begin to break down because they were not replaced back in the 90s because oil prices were low.

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

Because Jesus said so! Look it up! Do your research, Becky!

Quote Originally Posted by NicoleWasHere View Post
    But, with the current state that the economy is in, wouldn't domestic drilling just make it worse? The oil would be in higher demand, since it's IN our country, being drilled for, wouldn't it cause prices of oil and gas to spike? What if a hurricane happened to hit one of these domestic drilling sights? How fucked would we be, then?
    they've been off shore drilling in the gulf of mexico for years, they get hit by hurricanes all the time...nothing happens...

but no to your question above about the spike in prices. More supply would not increase prices. I'm not sure what you mean by it being in higher demand because it's in our country...

drilling may not be the solution, but the world- not just the US- is not going to be off oil in the next few years......our ships that move cargo, our planes, cars, trucks....all still need oil...

Quote Originally Posted by crumpet View Post
    Because Jesus said so! Look it up! Do your research, Becky!

Jesus loves me.....but he told me he's not sure about you
    Last edited by Tati; August 29th, 2008 at 03:01 PM.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread Information