Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 191

Thread: Confirmed: Sarah Palin is John McCain's VP pick

  1. #46
    Elite Member NicoleWasHere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    kcmo
    Posts
    14,473

    Default

    We can't just go for things that would work for the short term. For a lot of Americans, domestic drilling might sound good, and work now, but what about later, in the future?

  2. #47
    Elite Member tkdgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    5,469

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ManxMouse View Post
    Um, no. You were talking up these surpluses in terms of what a great accomplishment she made. Fluffy was pointing out that all oil-producing regions are able to have such surpluses, hence the wealth in places like Dubai. Not that more domestic drilling is a good plan for us in terms of producing wealth or a long-term (or even near-term) energy solution. Try to stay on topic.
    Actually, two things: putting the interests of her state first AND tackling energy issues.

    Get 'em, Alice!

    A government big enough to give you everything you want,
    is strong enough to take everything you have. ~Thomas Jefferson

  3. #48
    Elite Member witchcurlgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Acerbia
    Posts
    33,488

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleWasHere View Post
    We can't just go for things that would work for the short term. For a lot of Americans, domestic drilling might sound good, and work now, but what about later, in the future?

    well there you go...it's a two part problem

    you need a two part solution....one for now, and one long term..

    you have to do something now, while preparing for long term..maybe not drilling, but something

    we are not prepared to go off oil now, and no matter who gets into office we won't be prepared in 5 years...

    the world needs oil now.....while coming up with alternatives

    And Alice.....you tell them sister.....remind them of Eleanor of Aquitane, Isabella the She wolf of France, Elizabeth I, Margaret Thatcher, and Edith Wilson, who ran the US while Woodrow recovered from his stoke
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone


    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.


    If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

  4. #49
    Elite Member dexter7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,448

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by crumpet View Post
    She's a woman that's staunchly anti-abortion, which won't play well with a lot of women.
    Unfortunately, there are lots of women who aren't content to be abortion free for themselves, but who also want abortions to be illegal for all other women,too. Most of use here just don't hang around with those women, but they exist in large numbers. There are even women who still believe only men should be in charge of anything. Go figure.

    At the end of the day, there will be either a black president or a female vice president. I'm impressed we've come this far. I feel the same way. The fact that the higher ups recognize that this is something the general public wants to see is a statement in itself regardless of the outcome of this election. It is the beginning of seeing more non-white and female candidates in positions of power. A breakthrough has occured.

    i agree with both of these statements, except for the first one where crumpet says "unfortunately". i don't agree with abortion rights, and i am excited to see a woman running who shares my beliefs. plus, it's awesome that yes, either a black man or a woman will be in the white house.

  5. #50
    Elite Member ManxMouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Lemuria
    Posts
    7,589

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tkdgirl View Post
    Actually, two things: putting the interests of her state first AND tackling energy issues.

    Get 'em, Alice!
    The first is not a virtue in the national arena, and there was no tackling of energy issues.
    Who's Alice?

    Quote Originally Posted by dexter7 View Post
    i agree with both of these statements, except for the first one where crumpet says "unfortunately". i don't agree with abortion rights, and i am excited to see a woman running who shares my beliefs. plus, it's awesome that yes, either a black man or a woman will be in the white house.
    why should a woman who doesn't share your beliefs have your beliefs thrust upon her body?
    Last edited by Tati; August 29th, 2008 at 03:01 PM.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

  6. #51
    Elite Member Fluffy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    5,600

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    strawman argument...
    No it's not when you think about the fact that Alaska does not have the infrastructure upkeep of even a state like Utah.

    Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    Alaska has oil resources, but she still budgeted well.
    Income from oil and natural resources make up most of the budget. Without it, Alaska could not give lifetime health care benefits to teachers who teach in Alaska for only 5 years. Now tell me another state that does that!

    Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    the governor before her had the same oil resources, but no surplus, and no tax rebate.....
    The price of oil has risen significantly since she's been in office. Thus, she had a bargaining chip with the oil companies that her predecessor did not necessarily have.

  7. #52
    Hit By Ban Bus!
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Death Valley
    Posts
    304

    Default

    A real roll of the dice, props. to McCain on having the balls to roll them - now lets see if he lives to regret it.

  8. #53
    Elite Member greysfang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Burning Down Your Windmill
    Posts
    51,536

    Default

    For the record, I'm not opposed at all to McCain having picked a woman, just this woman. Someone with some substance and experience would have been a much better choice, and there are plenty of women with that, which makes me wonder why he chose Palin. He turned a brilliant move into a potentially huge liability.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

    http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

  9. #54
    Elite Member NicoleWasHere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    kcmo
    Posts
    14,473

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    well there you go...it's a two part problem

    you need a two part solution....one for now, and one long term..

    you have to do something now, while preparing for long term..maybe not drilling, but something

    we are not prepared to go off oil now, and no matter who gets into office we won't be prepared in 5 years...

    the world needs oil now.....while coming up with alternatives
    But, with the current state that the economy is in, wouldn't domestic drilling just make it worse? The oil would be in higher demand, since it's IN our country, being drilled for, wouldn't it cause prices of oil and gas to spike? What if a hurricane happened to hit one of these domestic drilling sights? How fucked would we be, then?

  10. #55
    Elite Member greysfang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Burning Down Your Windmill
    Posts
    51,536

    Default

    I don't see how having more oil will solve the short-term energy crisis either if we don't have the refinery capacity to process it. Or at least that was the excuse two years ago when gas prices went up to $3, that the refineries can't keep up with demand.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

    http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

  11. #56
    Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    you already know.
    Posts
    44,442

    Default

    ^ it won't thats already been established. we're running out permanently

  12. #57
    Elite Member louiswinthorpe111's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Middle America
    Posts
    11,923

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ManxMouse View Post
    why should a woman who doesn't share your beliefs have your beliefs thrust upon her body?
    thank you!

  13. #58
    Elite Member Fluffy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    5,600

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    I don't see how having more oil will solve the short-term energy crisis either if we don't have the refinery capacity to process it. Or at least that was the excuse two years ago when gas prices went up to $3, that the refineries can't keep up with demand.
    Most people don't realize that the oil infrastructure can't support a large increase in oil production as people so desperately seem to believe. Offshore oil drilling can't increase dramatically because there are no spare oil offshore, let alone deep water oil rigs, available. The same goes for the rest of the oil producing infrastructure, which has large rust and aging problems. This will come to the forefront within the next few years when more rigs and pipelines begin to break down because they were not replaced back in the 90s because oil prices were low.

  14. #59
    Elite Member crumpet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!
    Posts
    7,751

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ManxMouse View Post
    why should a woman who doesn't share your beliefs have your beliefs thrust upon her body?
    Because Jesus said so! Look it up! Do your research, Becky!

  15. #60
    Elite Member witchcurlgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Acerbia
    Posts
    33,488

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleWasHere View Post
    But, with the current state that the economy is in, wouldn't domestic drilling just make it worse? The oil would be in higher demand, since it's IN our country, being drilled for, wouldn't it cause prices of oil and gas to spike? What if a hurricane happened to hit one of these domestic drilling sights? How fucked would we be, then?
    they've been off shore drilling in the gulf of mexico for years, they get hit by hurricanes all the time...nothing happens...

    but no to your question above about the spike in prices. More supply would not increase prices. I'm not sure what you mean by it being in higher demand because it's in our country...

    drilling may not be the solution, but the world- not just the US- is not going to be off oil in the next few years......our ships that move cargo, our planes, cars, trucks....all still need oil...

    Quote Originally Posted by crumpet View Post
    Because Jesus said so! Look it up! Do your research, Becky!

    Jesus loves me.....but he told me he's not sure about you
    Last edited by Tati; August 29th, 2008 at 03:01 PM.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone


    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.


    If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Pick a new nose for Sarah Jessica Parker
    By SVZ in forum Rhinoplasty
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: August 13th, 2009, 04:24 AM
  2. Sarah Palin unlikely to woo Hillary Clinton supporters
    By NicoleWasHere in forum U.S. Politics and Issues
    Replies: 64
    Last Post: August 30th, 2008, 02:30 PM
  3. John McCain's temper shines through!
    By *DIVA! in forum U.S. Politics and Issues
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: March 8th, 2008, 03:04 AM
  4. Is Hillary Clinton trying to run as John McCain's VP?
    By Elyse in forum U.S. Politics and Issues
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: March 6th, 2008, 03:17 PM
  5. John McCain's 'No we can't'
    By *DIVA! in forum U.S. Politics and Issues
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: February 25th, 2008, 12:39 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •