Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Confirmed: Sarah Palin is John McCain's VP pick

Quote Originally Posted by tkdgirl View Post
    You've missed the key part. BUDGET SURPLUS. And where did some of that surplus come from? She increased taxes on big oil.

Would you turn down an extra check?
    Wow! Just like Saudi Arabia and ever other oil-producing nation in the Middle East!

Those are options not available to the rest of the states in the USA! The other 49 states aren't swimming with oil, remember?

The Tax rebate is not the same as the oil money...

You guys must mean these payments....which didn't start being paid until 1982...and reached a high in 2000....not the 80's:

Alaska residents will get annual oil royalty dividend of $1,654 each

The Associated Press
    Wednesday, September 19, 2007
    JUNEAU, Alaska: Nearly every Alaskan will soon receive a check for $1,654 their share of the state's oil riches, Alaska Governor Sarah Palin announced.

The dividend checks are derived from the state's oil royalty investment program and distributed each year to eligible residents ? just for living here for a full calendar year.

Slightly more than 600,000 men, women and children in 248 communities will receive the dividend this year, according to the Revenue Department. The state's estimated population is just over 670,000 people.

Anyone who has lived in Alaska for a full calendar year can apply for the money ? including children. Of those receiving checks this year, about 41 percent ? or 244,695 of the state's residents ? were born in Alaska.

"I want you guys to invest this wisely," Palin told the large crowd that gathered Wednesday for the announcement of this year's dividend in Valdez, the terminus of the state's 800-mile (1,287-kilometer) trans-Alaska oil pipeline.

It is a perk that separates Alaska from the rest of the U.S. and was recently parodied in "The Simpsons Movie," which prominently features the television cartoon family's journey to Alaska.

The movie depicts Alaska almost as a separate country. As Homer Simpson crosses the border with Canada, he's greeted by a customs agent who says, "Welcome to Alaska," then hands Homer a wad of cash, saying every Alaskan gets a stack of bills so oil companies can exploit the environment.

But for many residents, the check is no joke.

It means getting caught up on bills and supplementing income that for some is a week-to-week living in Alaska, where the cost of living is high due in part because of its distance from shipping centers in other parts of the United States.

In Galena, a town of 600 residents located 250 miles (400 kilometers) west of Fairbanks, air taxi pilot Colin Brown pilot said the money will help cover rising fuel costs that have beset the state's isolated rural villages. Brown says he pays about $4.70 for a gallon of gasoline, about $2 per gallon more than national average, according to the Energy Department's most recent data.

Others use the bonus to supplement their subsistent lifestyles.
    "A lot of times village people will spend it on fishnets to renew their equipment that's worn out," he said.

The state established the Alaska Permanent Fund in 1976 after North Slope oil was discovered. Dividends have been paid since 1982, ranging from $331 to a record high of $1,963 in 2000. Last year's dividend check was $1,106.

The fund is valued at a near-record $38.7 billion (?27.69 billion), with total returns at 17.1 percent in the fiscal year that ended June 30. In the last fiscal year, the fund earned $622,000 an hour.

Dividend totals are not directly tied to the fund's total value or robust oil prices, said fund spokeswoman Laura Achee. Oil prices, which topped $80 a barrel this week, can boost the fund's principal, but the money must be invested. Payouts then get calculated on a five-year average of investment income.

The fund's stock investments include high-profile brands such as Pepsico Inc., Microsoft Corp. and Apple Inc., along with North Slope oil producers Exxon Mobil Corp., ConocoPhillips and BP PLC.

More than $15.2 billion (?10.88 billion) has been distributed to eligible residents since the dividend program began, five years after oil began flowing in the state's pipeline 30 years ago.

If a resident has received a check every year since the first was issued in 1982, their total take in the program would be $27,536.

Alaska residents will get annual oil royalty dividend of $1,654 each - International Herald Tribune

Heres the tax info:

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

THE $1200 ALASKA RESOURCE REBATE

What a remarkable thing. Our legislature is "giving" everyone in Alaska who receives a Permanent Fund Dividend (PFD) an extra $1200 to be added to the coming PFD, which itself may exceed $2000. It started out as an “energy” rebate – and ended up as a “resource” rebate. Near as I can figure, if it’s an “energy” rebate, bush Alaskans who pay for more energy could try to justify a larger rebate. If it’s a “resource” rebate, everyone should get the same amount. It’s the same amount of money disingeniously dressed in different language. Ahh, the magic of language!

The cost of the rebate is $744 million, whatever you call it. This is a one-time, repeat, one-time rebate, aimed at sharing some of the revenue windfall money generated by record high crude oil prices. And yes, some of the windfall has, in fact, been saved.

Some Alaskans state they don’t need or want the rebate. Good for them. I recommend they gave their $1200 to worthy charities or a hungry family. Others say wealthy Alaskans shouldn’t get the rebate money because they don’t need it – but these are the same wealthy people who pay more taxes than the rest of us. If someone makes more money than me, good for them.

Many are saying that too many Alaskans will squander their $1200 rebate on big screen TVs, or something else others calls "frivolous." Probably true. But it’s not my business as a legislator, to tell you how you must spend your money. It’s your money, not mine! Furthermore, however you spend your money, it’ll spur the Alaska economy thereby helping keep people employed.

I’m hearing from folks who complain that homes with a large number of children, will get substantially more than childless families or the “ideal” (in some people’s opinion) family of 2.5 children. Remember, it’s a “resource” rebate to consumers - not money to heat a household. Children are consumers too (big time).

Several Alaskans (including a couple in my own family) are upset that only current PFD recipients will receive the $1200 rebate. The governor’s original plan was also to include Alaskans for the rebate who have been residents for at least six months. It's understandable that those who, through no fault of their own, miss out on the rebate are upset. But it would be a very expensive and impractical process to hire application inspectors to administer a one-time rebate. The PFD verification process and the employees that administer it, are already in place. Limiting the rebate to PFD recepients is probably “not fair” but, in practicality, a line must be drawn at some point.

The Alaska tax of 8 cents is also being extended for one year. It’s not much, but every little bit helps. Fuel is outrageously expensive. I can verify that, having just used my Suburban to haul my RV trailer where I lived during special session back home from Juneau! This gasoline tax relief will help people to afford going to work, as well as commercial drivers all over the state. Predictably, some complain that Alaska already has the lowest fuel tax in the US, so we should keep the tax. Frankly, I don’t care how it’s done outside Alaska.

Extra help, in fact, was given to lower the cost of electricity in rural communities with a timely a revision to the power cost equalization (PCE) program.

And yes, I did vote “Yes” for the rebate and “Yes” for suspending the gasoline tax.

Blogs by Rep Bob Lynn: THE $1200 ALASKA RESOURCE REBATE
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

You've missed the key part. BUDGET SURPLUS. And where did some of that surplus come from? She increased taxes on big oil.

Would you turn down an extra check?
    And McCain is against this, so how is that going to work in his favor?
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

She's only been in office for two years, Sarah Palin has. Now the Republicans can't use the "two years of experience isn't enough" excuse, unless they want to hear the same thing.

She opposes same-sex marriage, but she has stated that she has gay friends and is receptive to gay and lesbian concerns about discrimination. Interesting.

Sarah Palin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    Wow! Just like Saudi Arabia and ever other oil-producing nation in the Middle East!

Those are options not available to the rest of the states in the USA! The other 49 states aren't swimming with oil, remember?
    Case and point for more domestic drilling. Thank you.

A government big enough to give you everything you want,
    is strong enough to take everything you have. ~Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    The Tax rebate is not the same as the oil money...
    Still goes to show that she would be unprepared to deal with issues in the continental 48 because the option she has available to her as governor of a state flush with oil money is not available to the rest of the nation.

Um, no. You were talking up these surpluses in terms of what a great accomplishment she made. Fluffy was pointing out that all oil-producing regions are able to have such surpluses, hence the wealth in places like Dubai. Not that more domestic drilling is a good plan for us in terms of producing wealth or a long-term (or even near-term) energy solution. Try to stay on topic.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

The Destructive Consequences
    of Offshore Drilling

Offshore drilling in the Outer Continental Shelf (OCS) could do serious,
    irreparable damage to our oceans, coastal communities, and marine life.
    Some consequences of drilling in the OCS include:

Damaging coastal lands, economies, and communities
    Offshore oil and gas operations have detrimental effects onshore. These operations require roads,
    pipelines, and processing facilities to be built on America’s beaches, wetlands, and coastal areas.
    Current drilling projects in the Outer Continental Shelf in the Gulf of Mexico have destroyed more
    wetlands than exist between New Jersey and Maine. These activities hurt local communities and
    damage economies that depend upon these resources for tourism, coastal recreation, and fishing.

Endangering ocean health
    Offshore drilling and production create huge quantities of waste that contain toxic and radioactive
    pollutants, which can contaminate fish and marine life consumed by humans.
    n
    Drilling muds and cuttings removed from wells contain toxic metals, including mercury, lead, and
    cadmium. Each well creates 180,000 gallons of this waste and most of it is dumped untreated into
    surrounding waters.

n
    Each well also discharges hundreds of thousands of gallons of “produced water.” Studies of this
    byproduct have detected radium, an extremely radioactive material; toxic pollutants, such as benzene,
    arsenic, lead, radium, naphthalene, zinc, and toluene; and petroleum hydrocarbons in waters downcurrent

of the discharge.

Polluting air and emitting greenhouse gases
    Offshore wells emit air pollutants that are known carcinogens, cause respiratory problems, and are
    greenhouse gases. For example:
    n
    Emissions from drilling an average exploration well include 50 tons of nitrogen oxides (NOx),
    13 tons of carbon monoxide, 6 tons of sulfur dioxide, and 5 tons of volatile organic compounds.

n
    Emissions from drilling an operational OCS platform include 50 tons of NOx, 11 tons of carbon

monoxide, 8 tons of sulfur dioxide, and 38 tons of volatile organic hydrocarbons each year.

Seismic surveys harm wildlife
    Seismic surveys can seriously affect gray whales, sperm whales, beaked whales and bowheads, and can
    injure fish at substantial distances. Fish are particularly vulnerable to hearing loss that can significantly
    threaten their survival. Many fish, including salmon, which are endangered in portions of the United
    States, have swim bladders that can rupture when exposed to intense sounds like those emitted through
    these types of surveys.

Oil spills
    There have been
    187 large oil spills on the OCS, each emitting more than 2100 gallons into the
    Gulf of Mexico, between 1981 and 2005. As storms and hurricanes have intensified, the number of
    oil spills has increased. Hurricanes Katrina and Rita alone resulted in 125 spills of petroleum products
    from platforms, rigs, and pipelines on the OCS, totaling 685,000 gallons. Oil is toxic for most marine
    species and, according to the National Academy of Sciences, cleanup methods can only remove a small

fraction of oil spilled in marine waters.

http://docs.nrdc.org/legislation/leg_08071501A.pdf

...Domestic drilling sounds great! *cough*

No, it's not. The US does not have the oil resources--off shore & on land--to cause the price of oil to drop significantly.

But it takes away from the debate on more climate-friendly energy sources that would create more jobs and reduce our dependency on oil. Besides, drilling at home would only be a stop-gap, and wouldn't show any immediate results at the gas pumps.

I personally think McCain made a good decision in choosing Palin in that she'll effectively pander to the undecided Democrats who are disgruntled about Hillary Clinton. As much as it pains me to say it, I'm convinced McCain is going to win, and have been for a very long time.

At the end of the day, there will be either a black president or a female vice president. I'm impressed we've come this far.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

She's a woman that's staunchly anti-abortion, which won't play well with a lot of women.
    Unfortunately, there are lots of women who aren't content to be abortion free for themselves, but who also want abortions to be illegal for all other women,too. Most of use here just don't hang around with those women, but they exist in large numbers. There are even women who still believe only men should be in charge of anything. Go figure.

At the end of the day, there will be either a black president or a female vice president. I'm impressed we've come this far. I feel the same way. The fact that the higher ups recognize that this is something the general public wants to see is a statement in itself regardless of the outcome of this election. It is the beginning of seeing more non-white and female candidates in positions of power. A breakthrough has occured.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    Still goes to show that she would be unprepared to deal with issues in the continental 48 because the option she has available to her as governor of a state flush with oil money is not available to the rest of the nation.
    strawman argument...

Alaska has oil resources, but she still budgeted well.

the governor before her had the same oil resources, but no surplus, and no tax rebate.....

it's not just the money you have coming in, but what you do with it that makes you a good executive
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Now, now, let's not do any long-term thinking or consider the next generation or anything. That's crazy talk.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

WTF men have just as many hormones as women! some ppl think Clinton not being able to control his is what distracted this country's eyes and ears from the warning signs of the 9/11 attack!

if anyone on here has anything stupid to say about female leaders, go ahead, ill rip your ass apart!

i think women who say shit about women in power are jealous b/c of their own personal lack of it and education and men who say that shit are afraid of women and lacking in other areas of their own life. its so typical and maddening!

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread Information