Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Commentary: Is John McCain out of his mind?

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    Begala makes several good points. None of which I see you critiquing if what he wrote constitutes such a problem.
    Why should I? I've posted contrary facts about Palin since she was nominated. And really. Would it change your mind about her?

I'm just borrowing a page from Grimm's playbook... trash the author as biased without addressing it because biased writers aren't worth it.

A government big enough to give you everything you want,
    is strong enough to take everything you have. ~Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    Commentary: Is McCain out of his mind?

By Paul Begala
    CNN Contributor
    (CNN) -- John McCain needs what Kinky Friedman calls "a checkup from the neck up."
    In choosing Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin to be his running mate he is not thinking "outside the box," as some have said. More like out of his mind.
    Palin a first-term governor of a state with more reindeer than people, will have to put on a few pounds just to be a lightweight. Her personal story is impressive: former fisherman, mother of five. But that hardly qualifies her to be a heartbeat away from the presidency.
    For a man who is 72 years old and has had four bouts with cancer to have chosen someone so completely unqualified to become president is shockingly irresponsible. Suddenly, McCain's age and health become central issues in the campaign, as does his judgment.
    In choosing this featherweight, McCain passed over Tom Ridge, a decorated combat hero, a Cabinet secretary and the former two-term governor of the large, complex state of Pennsylvania. iReport.com: 'McCain pick might be a gimmick'
    He passed over Mitt Romney, who ran a big state, Massachusetts; a big company, Bain Capital; and a big event, the Olympics.
    He passed over Kay Bailey Hutchison, the Texas senator who is knowledgeable about the military, good on television, and -- obviously -- a woman.
    He passed over Joe Lieberman, his best friend in the Senate and fellow Iraq Kool-Aid drinker.
    He passed over former congressman, trade negotiator and budget director Rob Portman.
    And he also passed over Mike Huckabee, the governor of Arkansas.
    For months, the McCainiacs have said they will run on his judgment and experience. In his first presidential decision, John McCain has shown he is willing to endanger his country, potentially leaving it in the hands of someone who simply has no business being a heartbeat away from the most powerful, complicated, difficult job in human history.
    Begala: Is McCain out of his mind?
    Just for you, Fluffy:

He passed over Romney because his heath care plan in Mass was crap. Romney's appeal to the base is on one side only: his strength in business and the economy. Its not enough to rally the base And really, the only reason liberals wanted Romney is so they could call him a flip flopper.

He passed over Ridge quite simply because he's part of the 'old establishment' and a BUsh carry over. McCain wants nothing to do with Bush.

He passed over Hutchinson because she is Texas (Bush relationship) and she is pro choice. A pro choice candidate would have destroyed his chances. Might not matter to you, but it matters to conservatives.

He passed over Joe because he's a democrat. Because he's pro choice. And simply because this choice would not help him with conservatives. Who says you have to picj friends anyway?

He passed over Huckabee because, good grief, the man is a bigot and a religious zealot. For every evangelical her would have gained, McCain would have lost tenfold of everyone else- including me.

So then, based on Begala's insane reasoning, why didn't Obama pick Hillary? Why did a candidate who is so for 'change' pick a man who has been in the Senate longer than McCain? Why pick a man who represents everything about Washington Obama claims he wants to fix?

McCain wants nothing to do with Bush.
    Nothing to do with him, despite voting for 95% of his policies, hiring the exact same people who worked under Bush for the last 2 elections, etc etc

And he passed over romney cuz he's a religious zealot? What the hell is Palin then, with her anti-gay, anti-choice 'christian heritage week' bullshit?

keep shovelling that shit, i'm sure someone somewhere will believe it.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Nothing to do with him, despite voting for 95% of his policies, hiring the exact same people who worked under Bush for the last 2 elections, etc etc

And he passed over romney cuz he's a religious zealot? What the hell is Palin then, with her anti-gay, anti-choice 'christian heritage week' bullshit?

keep shovelling that shit, i'm sure someone somewhere will believe it.
    I don't expect you to believe it. You're as biased as they come, Grimm.

It's not a matter of belief, it's a matter of peddling bullshit as fact. I can point out about 50 things that are blatantly incorrect in that blurb of yours, things you KNOW are total lies and/or have been proven to be lies by others.

it's not fact. It's misinformation.

More infotainment that's 'conservative', not FACTUAL
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by tkdgirl View Post
    Just for you, Fluffy:

He passed over Romney because his heath care plan in Mass was crap. Romney's appeal to the base is on one side only: his strength in business and the economy. Its not enough to rally the base And really, the only reason liberals wanted Romney is so they could call him a flip flopper.

He passed over Ridge quite simply because he's part of the 'old establishment' and a BUsh carry over. McCain wants nothing to do with Bush.

He passed over Hutchinson because she is Texas (Bush relationship) and she is pro choice. A pro choice candidate would have destroyed his chances. Might not matter to you, but it matters to conservatives.

He passed over Joe because he's a democrat. Because he's pro choice. And simply because this choice would not help him with conservatives. Who says you have to picj friends anyway?

He passed over Huckabee because, good grief, the man is a bigot and a religious zealot. For every evangelical her would have gained, McCain would have lost tenfold of everyone else- including me.

So then, based on Begala's insane reasoning, why didn't Obama pick Hillary? Why did a candidate who is so for 'change' pick a man who has been in the Senate longer than McCain? Why pick a man who represents everything about Washington Obama claims he wants to fix?
    tkdgirl, all of the choices Begala mentions are individuals with more national and governmental experience than Palin. That's why Begala mentioned them. Experience that would be necessary if something were to happen to McCain and Palin became president. There's more to being POTUS than "the abortion issue," "gun rights" and "GOD." She is simply unequipped to deal with all the members of Congress and the federal judiciary system let alone all the administrative departments such as state, defense, labor, interior and the fed.

Even reporters from Alaska say so!

Washington, D.C.: Why don't reporters and legislators have a high opinion of the governor?
    Gregg Erickson: It is clear that she has not paid much attention to the nitty-gritty unglamorous work of government, of gaining consensus, and making difficult compromises. She seems to be of the view that politics should be all rather simple. That often appeals to the wider public, but frustrates those who see themselves as laboring in the less glamorous parts of the vineyard.

Baltimore, Md.: What are Governor Palin's three greatest strengths? What are her three greatest weaknesses?
    Gregg Erickson: She is smart, vivacious and energetic; she tends to oversimplify complex issues, has had difficulty delegating authority, and clearly has some difficulty distinguishing the line between her public responsibilities and private wishes.
    She is under legislative investigation regarding the last issue, the so-called "troopergate."

Eagle River, Ak.: Morning, Gregg! I've suddenly being hearing a number of pundits credit Gov. Palin with stopping the "bridge to nowhere." This isn't how I remember it, though -- in fact, I seem to recall that she was initially in favor of the bridge. Could you clarify? Thanks!
    Gregg Erickson: She did curtail state support of the "bridge to nowhere" connecting Ketchikan with its island airport. But contrary to her statement today in Dayton, OH, she didn't send the federal money back. It's available for use in other projects elsewhere.

Arlington, Va.: Do you think Hillary supporters will vote for McCain now just because there's a woman on the ticket -- even though she's about as opposite as Hillary as a candidate could be?
    Gregg Erickson: As I replied to another question, the only way I can figure that it makes sense is that McCain believes his campaign is in big trouble, and hopes this very unconventional choice will give his candidacy much needed appeal women voters and those from the religious right who have been not quite comfortable with his credentials as a social conservative.
    Appealing to Hillary supporters by choosing someone opposed to any abortion, rights seems odd to me.

Wheaton, Md.: Why is she experienced enough to lead our nation as president if McCain were unable to do so?
    Gregg Erickson: I have a hard time seeing how her qualifications stack up against the duties and responsibilities of being president.

Gregg Erickson, columnist and reporter for the Anchorage Daily News and editor at large for the Alaska Budget Report, was online Friday, Aug. 29, at 3:30 p.m. ET to discuss Palin as the vice presidential choice, her term as governor of Alaska and his coverage of her in the Alaska state house.

Palin the VP Choice - washingtonpost.com

I don't expect you to believe it. You're as biased as they come, Grimm.

Can we say, hypocritical, kids?

Just for you, Fluffy:

The fact that McCain picked Palin to be VP after meeting her ONCE and not doing a full background check and vetting her properly says a lot about his judgement.

Obama knew Hillary longer than McCain knew Palin. And, you can say what you want about Obama picking Biden, but at least he chose someone that he met more than once and actually has a working relationship with.

^ Not to mention, he picked a politician with more than thirty years of political experience under his belt.

Obama knew what he was doing. McCain, as usual, did not.

I've mentioned it in another thread, but I'll say it again here. There's no way that Obama could've picked Hillary. Having an ex-president in the White House (Bill) would've been a liability to Obama. It would seriously undermine his authority.

Just want to point this out as it's not a fair comparison in choosing running mates. No one's saying McCain should've chosen Bush senior (given he could still technically be president for another term).

Quote Originally Posted by Little Wombat View Post
    No one's saying McCain should've chosen Bush senior (given he could still technically be president for another term).
    OMG don't remind him!

Quote Originally Posted by Little Wombat View Post
    I've mentioned it in another thread, but I'll say it again here. There's no way that Obama could've picked Hillary. Having an ex-president in the White House (Bill) would've been a liability to Obama. It would seriously undermine his authority.

Just want to point this out as it's not a fair comparison in choosing running mates. No one's saying McCain should've chosen Bush senior (given he could still technically be president for another term).
    Exactly. There would've been too many power struggles going on and nothing would get done.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information