Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Collateral damage: A young casualty of Prop 8

Oppression? Absolutely not. This is clearly a case of stupidity on McGehee's part.

To be oppressed, she would have had to have been forced into the situation which precipitated the outcome. Unless the bishop held a gun to her head while she enrolled and participated in every facet of the school, she walked into this willingly and paid to do so!

Now someone's stupidity coming back to bite them on their stupid ass is oppression? Why on Earth would anyone send her child to be educated by the known enemy?

When they were letting her shine, she had no issues. She wanted to have her cake and eat it to, using the benefit of the exceptional education provided by the church, while speaking out against it's position.

I like the diplomatic use of "position", rather than "baseless nonsense promoted by stupid people from a book that was written by random strangers 300 years after supposed events took place"
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Give it up Grimm. You're spinning your wheels and going nowhere.

It doesn't matter who wrote what or what you think of the policies. Someone should talk some sense into the moronic mother. Tell her to stay away from groups who don't support her lifestyle.

If the church doctrine is "baseless nonsense" why would an apparently educated gay woman want people who follow it to teach her child? McGehee is a moron and gays have no argument here. What needs to be done is educating McGehee and helping her obtain some common sense.

We can do that while doing away with a bigoted organization. Multitasking IS fun.

Actually, do away with her altogether. The kid can stay provided he isn't a dullard.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

It's ok for you to keep throwing out the groups who should be removed, but the next person who says that publicly about homosexuals will be ripped apart.

The double standards of this movement are appalling.

No, it's good to throw out groups who promote bigotry and oppression.

Tell me it's not.

Ladt i checked, gays didn't oppress anybody.. and don't even think about throwing out that "but gays oppress people's religious beliefs!" crap either, because that's a straw man argument that holds no water.

it's akin to saying "im going to kick the shit out of you, but if you fight back you're being intolerant towards me"

Doesn't fly.

I also want to get rid of this stupid woman, because she's an idiot. Is that bad too?

NEXT.

Blah blah blah.

They kicked her out. They did the right thing. If it happens again, they should remove that person, too. There is no oppression.

Quit whining.

Dismissed.

You don't have the capability of dismissing anybody, least of all me, so you can shove that up your ass.

*snaps in Z formation*

Elite Member

Default Re

1. She had her kid in the wrong school. There are public and private schools that cheerfully and vociferously express support for non-discrimination and acceptance of non-traditional families.
    2. It could have been a "teaching moment" for this school to open their minds and hearts and be more like Jesus, but they chose not to, so fuck 'em.

Yes, so can we PLEASE do away with them?

*finger hovers over red button*

Quote Originally Posted by RevellingInSane View Post
    Blah blah blah.

They kicked her out. They did the right thing. If it happens again, they should remove that person, too. There is no oppression.

Quit whining.

Dismissed.
    Whoa. I had thought maybe we had located some kind of middle ground, but I really take exception to this statement. The school did something it has the legal standing to do, but that doesn't make it right.

How can discrimination and exclusion based on sexual orientation ever be morally right?
    Posted from my fucking iPhone

Oh, because RELIGION is the one exception where bigotry is allowed and encouraged, didn't you know?

Cuz if you do it in the name of JAYZUS, it's alllll good, and anybody who points out otherwise is intolerant of your religious bigotry and thus THEY are wrong!

*demented look*

dreaming about being on a lake in Ontario

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    *feels his hackles rise*

Yes, back to the closet with her. How dare she try and live a normal life.

*urge to slap rising*
    Come on Grimm, I'm very pro-gay but she put her kid in a Catholic School. She knows their tenents. She was accepted, became president of the PTO and all was well. If she wanted to be an activist she needed to make a choice. Do it and subject herself and her school to the harsh light of the church and force them to make this choice. Or, continue fighting quietly and let her child continue at the school. If this was a public or non-religious private school, I would agree with you all the way. She made a choice to send her child to a school whose beliefs are not gay-friendly.
    If I can't be a good example, then let me be a horrible warning.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinola View Post
    Whoa. I had thought maybe we had located some kind of middle ground, but I really take exception to this statement. The school did something it has the legal standing to do, but that doesn't make it right.

How can discrimination and exclusion based on sexual orientation ever be morally right?
    First, my ass is exit only. DISMISSED. Can do it. Did do it. Deal with it. Shove THAT, and the arrogance, up yours. With comments like that, dismissal shouldn't be questioned.

Shinola:
    Assume the CEO of a company was publicly, and actively, promoting a competitor's product. The company fires that CEO. Was that wrong? No.

This is no different. A member of the school's parental association publicly supported an issue which the church the school is affiliated with does not. That is a conflict of interests. That school could have faced having their affiliation severed if they did allow it. When the issues are weighed, they did the right thing for them. She put them in that position and they could have supported her and faced the consequences of doing so, or removed her, which they did and for them, that was the correct choice.

This is not about morality and discrimination. She knew what the church stood for. She could not have been so in the dark as to think she could continue in her position with a Catholic school after supporting something that particular church did not.

Morally, I would say if she did a good job, let her stay. Was it discrimination? That can be argued both ways. Was it wrong? Absolutely not. She put herself in the situation and is the only party who can be blamed.

I follow the logic, Revelling, but in my opinion, it's hard to make a clear analogy by applying a situation from the business/economic sphere to one in cultural sphere of education and religion. The goals are different, the values are different.

I do agree with everyone who has said or implied that this parent took on this risk by putting her child in a Catholic school.

Lastly--'cause I'm getting done with this thread, too--I addressed morality only because the language of the school doing the "right thing" was raised. Rightness gets at morality.

As for "discrimination," I expected an objection to that term. The dictionary defines it, not me. This is certainly a case of discrimination, but it is apparently legal discrimination, because this is a private school, it probably doesn't accept any kind of state funds for anything, and even if it didn't, the California education code says that schools can turn away students and families on the basis of sexual orientation IF there is a conflict with the religion's tenets.
    Posted from my fucking iPhone

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information