Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Colin Powell endorses Barack Obama!

The Republicans have got to be fucking kidding.

McCain allies prefer plumber to Powell

John McCain’s surrogates took to the Sunday shows to minimize the damage from Colin Powell’s endorsement of Democrat Barack Obama and challenge the hardening conventional wisdom that the presidential race is slipping away from their candidate.
    House Republican Whip Roy Blunt of Missouri admitted he wished Powell would have endorsed McCain, but said that neither the endorsement nor Obama’s association with 1960s radical Bill Ayers will matter as much as Joe the plumber.
    “I think Joe the plumber does matter here, not because he's Joe or not because he's a plumber but because of all that particular discussion represents,” Blunt said on CNN’s "Late Edition with Wolf Blitzer."
    “Endorsements are typically overrated, I think,” former Bush budget director Rob Portman said on CBS’ "Face the Nation." “I don't think it makes a big difference,” Portman told host Bob Schieffer, though he added that Powell “is well respected” and has said Powell “respects both men but he's always had a special admiration for Sen. Obama.”
    Missouri’s Republican Gov. Matt Blunt told Schieffer, “I don't know that it will make a difference in Missouri,” and he downplayed the record 100,000-person crowd Obama drew Saturday in St. Louis.
    “He obviously has a great celebrity status,” Blunt said of the Illinois senator. “That doesn't always translate into votes.”
    Powell got it wrong when he called Obama “transformational,” Rudy Giuliani said on “Late Edition.”
    “I don't see the same things in Barack Obama that Colin Powell sees,” said the former New York mayor, who acknowledged he has “the highest regard” for Powell and wanted him to seek the GOP presidential nomination in 1996.
    “What I see [in Obama] is a very traditional liberal Democrat, really a throwback — even a throwback before the Clintons, Giuliani said, charging that Obama would engineer a government takeover of health care and strip workers’ rights to secret ballots in union elections.
    On the other side of the Sunday show aisle, Virginia Gov. Tim Kaine, a Democrat, told CBS’s Schieffer that Powell’s endorsement proves that Obama will be able to set aside partisan ideology to forge pragmatic solutions and said it validates Obama's national security judgment.
    “Gen. Powell is not seen as a dividing figure but a uniting figure,” Kaine said, adding that “to have the confidence of Gen. Powell in this election is very important.”
    Democratic strategist Donna Brazile said on ABC’s “This Week with George Stephanopoulos” that Powell’s endorsement of Obama should “erase any remaining doubts about his national security agenda [and] his experience.”
    Sen. Claire McCaskill (D-Mo.) a top Obama surrogate, said Powell’s endorsement repudiates McCain’s efforts to link Obama to Ayers’ bombings in the 1960s.
    “Does anybody in their right mind think that Gen. Powell would ever endorse anyone that had any patience with terrorists?" McCaskill said on "Late Edition." "Of course he wouldn't.”
    She got backup from some unlikely quarters. Former Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich of Georgia, a Republican luminary, agreed with Brazile that the endorsement “eliminated the experience argument. How are you going to say the former chairman of the Joint Chiefs, former secretary of state, former national security adviser, was taken in?”
    Former presidential adviser David Gergen, also on “This Week,” called Powell’s “the most important endorsement of the campaign so far.”
    Gingrich attributed Obama’s growing cash advantage — the campaign announced Sunday it had raised $150 million in September — to the McCain-authored 2002 campaign finance overhaul (which actually did not change the public financing system limiting the Arizona senator to $84 million for the general election), calling it a “bizarre irony” and predicting it may be too much for McCain to overcome.

“If nothing changes, Sen. Obama is going to win,” Gingrich said, asserting that McCain’s only chance is to seize on Obama’s much-ballyhooed comments last week to the Ohio plumber who confronted him while canvassing demanding to know if Obama believed “in the American Dream.”
    Obama told the plumber, Joe Wurzelbacher, that “when you spread the wealth around, it’s good for everybody.”
    Americans favor focusing on job growth over redistribution by 84 percent to 14 percent, Gingrich said, asserting “even with no resources, a presidential candidate ought to be able to take an 84 to 14 issue —as Reagan would have — stay on it for two weeks” and reshape the election.
    That message is already resonating in the critical swing state of Ohio, which Portman, a former Ohio congressman, predicted would be tight.
    “John McCain has, really, a very simple message now, which is that, for the economy, Barack Obama is going to be risky,” Portman said on CBS. “Joe the plumber kind of put the face on it, but the fact is, there are plumbing contractors, there are restaurant owners, there are small manufacturers, there are small software companies all around this beautiful Ohio state, who are saying: ‘Look, I'm having a hard time keeping the employees I have. I want to add more employees. Don't tax me,’” Portman said. Kaine challenged Portman’s portrayal, saying that “the Joe the plumbers of the world are going to do much better under Sen. Obama as president than Sen. McCain.”
    McCain allies prefer plumber to Powell - Yahoo! News

D.e.l.u.s.i.o.n.a.l
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

There was a CNN International special about what events led to the Iraq war about a year ago and who played what role in that process. I posted about that back then. It explained, as told by witnessess who were present or in the know, that Powell was more or less misled regarding his statements to the UN. I'll see if I can dig up the thread (don't remember what it was called) if it's not archived yet.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

Obama gets boost from huge funding, Powell backing

Obama gets boost from huge funding, Powell backing - washingtonpost.com

By Caren Bohan
    Reuters
    Monday, October 20, 2008; 6:05 AM

FAYETTEVILLE, North Carolina (Reuters) - Democrat Barack Obama won the support of former Republican Secretary of State Colin Powell on Sunday and announced he raised a record $150 million last month, dealing a double blow to rival John McCain's presidential campaign.

McCain, despite trailing in opinion polls and fundraising, said he still expects to win the November 4 election and could sense "things are heading our way."

Powell, who served several Republican presidents including George W. Bush as his first secretary of state, said either candidate would make a good president but he was critical of McCain's uncertainty on how to deal with the economic crisis.

Powell, who in the past was mentioned as possibly the first black U.S. president, told NBC's "Meet the Press" he backed Obama "because of his ability to inspire, because of the inclusive nature of his campaign, because he's reaching out all across America, because of who he is."

"I think he is a transformational figure," Powell said of the man who could become the first black president. "His is a new generation coming ... onto the world stage, American stage."
    Powell's backing of Obama, 47, could give a boost to the foreign policy and national security credentials of the first-term Illinois senator and appeal to moderates and independents.
    But the impact of endorsements on voters is questionable and Powell's reputation was somewhat tarnished by making the case for invading Iraq to the United Nations on the false claims that it possessed weapons of mass destruction.

In the midst of economic turmoil and with just over two weeks to go until the election, Obama leads in national polls and in many battleground states but McCain said he sees some movement in his direction.

Obama's lead over McCain has dropped to 3 points, according to a Reuters/C-SPAN/Zogby poll released on Sunday. Obama leads McCain 48 to 45 percent among likely U.S. voters, down 1 percentage point from Saturday.

"We're very happy with the way the campaign is going," McCain said on the "Fox News Sunday" program. "I've been on enough campaigns, my friend, to sense enthusiasm and momentum, and we've got it."

LOVES THE UNDERDOG ROLE
    McCain, 72, said he did not mind being behind in polls.

"And I love being the underdog. You know every time that I've gotten ahead, somehow I've messed it up," he said, referring to the times he has been written off as a candidate.
    Obama's fundraising announcement highlighted his disproportionate ability to spend money and blanket the air waves with advertisements, sometimes by a margin of 4-to-1 over McCain.
    By bringing in at least $150 million in September, Obama more than doubled the $66 million he raised in August, which had been a record. McCain has accepted public financing and is limited to spending $84 million for the entire campaign.

Unlike McCain, Obama chose not to accept public funding for his campaign, freeing him to raise millions privately.

The Obama campaign said it had 632,000 new donors in September to bring its total to 3.1 million. It said the average donation for the month was less than $100.

McCain again chided Obama for not living up to his pledge to accept public funds and warned of the damages of unlimited spending.

"I'm saying that history shows us where unlimited amounts of money are in political campaigns, it leads to scandal," he said. When asked whether Obama was buying the election as his campaign spokesman claimed, McCain said, "I think you could make that argument."

McCain was spending the day in Ohio, a state he must win if he is to be president. No Republican has won the White House without winning Ohio and it was the state that put Bush over the top in 2004.

Obama was also in a battleground state with a heavy military presence, North Carolina, which had been expected to be an easy Republican win but is now in play for Democrats.
    At Fayetteville, near Fort Bragg, the home of the 82nd Airborne Division, Obama called Powell "a great soldier, a great statesman and a great American" and thanked him for his advice over the years.

"He reminded us that at this defining moment, we don't have the luxury of relying on the same political games, the same political tactics that have been used in so many elections to divide us from one another and make us afraid of one another," Obama told the cheering crowd of about 10,000 people.

Powell said he has no plans to campaign for Obama and was not looking for a job in his administration but he left the door open to the possibility.

(Additional reporting by Thomas Ferraro and Jeff Mason; Writing by David Wiessler; Editing by John O'Callaghan)
    Talking Politics blog: Republican Colin Powell endorses Barack Obama - Grand Rapids News - The Grand Rapids Press Online - Michigan Newspaper - MLive.com

Political Radar: Biden: Powell Endorsement Means 'No More Questions' About Obama's Readiness
    Last edited by Tati; October 22nd, 2008 at 03:50 PM.

Question

Nice timing! Ya gotta hand it to Powell he's got it down pat.

Obama: Powell will have a role in adminstration - Yahoo! News

Obama: Powell will have a role in adminstration

WASHINGTON – Colin Powell will have a role as a top presidential adviser in an Obama administration, the Democratic White House hopeful said Monday.
    "He will have a role as one of my advisers," Barack Obama said on NBC's "Today" in an interview aired Monday, a day after Powell, a four-star general and President Bush's former secretary of state, endorsed him.
    "Whether he wants to take a formal role, whether that's a good fit for him, is something we'd have to discuss," Obama said.
    Being a top presidential adviser, especially on foreign policy, would be familiar ground to Powell on a subject that's relatively new to the freshman Illinois senator. Obama has struggled to establish his foreign policy credentials against GOP candidate John McCain, a decorated military veteran, former prisoner of war and ranking Republican on the Senate Armed Services Committee.
    In the NBC interview, Obama said Powell did not give him a heads up heads-up before he crossed party lines and endorsed the Democratic presidential candidate on the network's "Meet the Press" a day earlier.
    In that interview, Powell called Obama a "transformational figure" in the nation's history and expressed disappointment in some of McCain's campaign tactics. But, Powell said, he didn't plan to hit the campaign trail with Obama before the Nov. 4 election.
    "I won't lie to you, I would love to have him at any stop," Obama said with a grin Monday. "Obviously, if he wants to show up he's got an open invitation."
    Powell's endorsement came just hours after Obama's campaign disclosed that it raised $150 million in September — obliterating the old record of $66 million it had set only one month earlier.
    He expressed disappointment in the negative tone of McCain's campaign, his choice of Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin as a running mate and their decision to focus in the closing weeks of the contest on Obama's ties to 1960s-era radical William Ayers, saying "it goes too far."
    McCain, meanwhile, seemed dismissive of Powell's endorsement, saying it wasn't a surprise, that the two share mutual respect and are longtime friends.
    The Republican from Arizona pointed out on Sunday that he had support from four other former secretaries of state, all veterans of Republican administrations: Henry Kissinger, James A. Baker III, Lawrence Eagleburger and Alexander Haig.
    At a boisterous rally Sunday, Obama said McCain was "out of ideas and almost out of time."
    He and his aides appear so confident of his prospects that apart from a brief stop in Madison, Wis., next Thursday, Obama currently has no plans during the next 10 days to return to Pennsylvania, Minnesota, New Hampshire or any other state that voted for John Kerry in 2004.
    Instead, he intends to spend two days this week in Florida, where early voting begins on Monday, and travel to Virginia, Iowa, Ohio, Colorado, New Mexico and possibly Nevada and Indiana. Those states hold 97 electoral votes combined, and Bush won all in 2004.
    Obama also may stop in West Virginia, where his campaign recently bought statewide television advertising in a late attempt to put the state's five electoral votes into serious contention.

I'd still take one Colin Powell endorsement over McSame's BIG LIST of Kissinger, Haig, Baker, and Eagleton. First off Kissinger is being paid as an advisor by the McCain campaign and was instrumental in the Nixon administration but got out before the shit literally hit the fan. Alexander Haig, also had Nixon ties as Chief of staff during Kissinger's reign and later as Regan's Secretary of State for awhile, James Baker was another Reagan cronie who served for Bush SR from 1989-1992, and why he even mentioned Larry Eagleton is a joke - the man was Secretary of State for a whopping 1+ month - 12/8/92 to 1/20/93 under Bush SR. Not the most admirable group of officials that have served in the US - most people under the age of 40 don't even know who they are or place in history without perhaps Kissinger who again is a paid advisor. Whether you like Powell or not he may be helpful in bringing some of the Repugs that aren't exactly thrilled about McSame and his pitbull with lipstick. McSame has burned alot of bridges over the years. It's almost like there is an undercurrent, unspoken movement in the Repug's against McSame who they probably would have shown more support for if he had at least chosen a decent running mate. Very few of them in higher offices of the government are coming out in his defence or endorsing him publicly. It seems a good deal of infighting is going on and McCain is too hard headed to try and bridge the gap - just another reason why I don't want him as president representing us in the world community.
    as privileged as a whore...victims in demand for public show, swept out through the cracks beneath the door, holier than thou, how?

“Endorsements are typically overrated, I think,”

Really? If Powell had endorsed McSame's camp, they wouldn't be saying that, you betcha.

Instead they are bragging about their Joe the Plumber endorsement.

Quote Originally Posted by HWBL View Post
    There was a CNN International special about what events led to the Iraq war about a year ago and who played what role in that process. I posted about that back then. It explained, as told by witnessess who were present or in the know, that Powell was more or less misled regarding his statements to the UN. I'll see if I can dig up the thread (don't remember what it was called) if it's not archived yet.
    I remember watching this on this news.

I used to LURVE Colin Powell. I said that I would vote for Colin Powell if he ran for President. Loved Powell. When the whole Iraq thing went down, and Powell went along with it, I was really disappointed in him and I will say it knocked him down some rungs off my ladder.

Anyway, I must say, I am somewhat suspect in his endorsement. Not that I question the sincerty of it, but if McCain was leading 10 points in the polls, I don't think Powell would have endorsed Obama.

I also think the other motive is that Powell maybe endorsing Obama to redeem himself.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    It's an important endorsement from a political standpoint. He carries a lot of political clout. And the fact that he's a Republican and he said Palin isn't qualified to be VP is a smack in the face to McCain and the GOP. Of course Republicans will just say Powell's black, Obama's black, do the math.

I luv that Colin Powell, a Republican, supports Obama, the more the merrier!
    "the place you live in is that much more drab and empty that they're gone"

Wow! Colin Powell in Obama's administration!!

Meet the Press has the full transcript up now, so I thought I'd post the text of Powell's endorsement. A good read if you can't watch the video. The full transcript of the full Powell interview (and the rest of the episode) can be found here: Oct. 19: Former Secretary of State Gen. Colin Powell (Ret.), Chuck Todd, political roundtable - Meet the Press, online at MSNBC - MSNBC.com
    MR. BROKAW: General Powell, actually you gave a campaign contribution to Senator McCain. You have met twice at least with Barack Obama. Are you prepared to make a public declaration of which of these two candidates that you're prepared to support?

GEN. POWELL: Yes, but let me lead into it this way. I know both of these individuals very well now. I've known John for 25 years as your setup said. And I've gotten to know Mr. Obama quite well over the past two years. Both of them are distinguished Americans who are patriotic, who are dedicated to the welfare of our country. Either one of them, I think, would be a good president. I have said to Mr. McCain that I admire all he has done. I have some concerns about the direction that the party has taken in recent years. It has moved more to the right than I would like to see it, but that's a choice the party makes. And I've said to Mr. Obama, "You have to pass a test of do you have enough experience, and do you bring the judgment to the table that would give us confidence that you would be a good president."

And I've watched him over the past two years, frankly, and I've had this conversation with him. I have especially watched over the last six of seven weeks as both of them have really taken a final exam with respect to this economic crisis that we are in and coming out of the conventions. And I must say that I've gotten a good measure of both. In the case of Mr. McCain, I found that he was a little unsure as to deal with the economic problems that we were having and almost every day there was a different approach to the problem. And that concerned me, sensing that he didn't have a complete grasp of the economic problems that we had. And I was also concerned at the selection of Governor Palin. She's a very distinguished woman, and she's to be admired; but at the same time, now that we have had a chance to watch her for some seven weeks, I don't believe she's ready to be president of the United States, which is the job of the vice president. And so that raised some question in my mind as to the judgment that Senator McCain made.

On the Obama side, I watched Mr. Obama and I watched him during this seven-week period. And he displayed a steadiness, an intellectual curiosity, a depth of knowledge and an approach to looking at problems like this and picking a vice president that, I think, is ready to be president on day one. And also, in not just jumping in and changing every day, but showing intellectual vigor. I think that he has a, a definitive way of doing business that would serve us well. I also believe that on the Republican side over the last seven weeks, the approach of the Republican Party and Mr. McCain has become narrower and narrower. Mr. Obama, at the same time, has given us a more inclusive, broader reach into the needs and aspirations of our people. He's crossing lines--ethnic lines, racial lines, generational lines. He's thinking about all villages have values, all towns have values, not just small towns have values.

And I've also been disappointed, frankly, by some of the approaches that Senator McCain has taken recently, or his campaign ads, on issues that are not really central to the problems that the American people are worried about. This Bill Ayers situation that's been going on for weeks became something of a central point of the campaign. But Mr. McCain says that he's a washed-out terrorist. Well, then, why do we keep talking about him? And why do we have these robocalls going on around the country trying to suggest that, because of this very, very limited relationship that Senator Obama has had with Mr. Ayers, somehow, Mr. Obama is tainted. What they're trying to connect him to is some kind of terrorist feelings. And I think that's inappropriate.

Now, I understand what politics is all about. I know how you can go after one another, and that's good. But I think this goes too far. And I think it has made the McCain campaign look a little narrow. It's not what the American people are looking for. And I look at these kinds of approaches to the campaign and they trouble me. And the party has moved even further to the right, and Governor Palin has indicated a further rightward shift. I would have difficulty with two more conservative appointments to the Supreme Court, but that's what we'd be looking at in a McCain administration. I'm also troubled by, not what Senator McCain says, but what members of the party say. And it is permitted to be said such things as, "Well, you know that Mr. Obama is a Muslim." Well, the correct answer is, he is not a Muslim, he's a Christian. He's always been a Christian. But the really right answer is, what if he is? Is there something wrong with being a Muslim in this country? The answer's no, that's not America. Is there something wrong with some seven-year-old Muslim-American kid believing that he or she could be president? Yet, I have heard senior members of my own party drop the suggestion, "He's a Muslim and he might be associated terrorists." This is not the way we should be doing it in America.

I feel strongly about this particular point because of a picture I saw in a magazine. It was a photo essay about troops who are serving in Iraq and Afghanistan. And one picture at the tail end of this photo essay was of a mother in Arlington Cemetery, and she had her head on the headstone of her son's grave. And as the picture focused in, you could see the writing on the headstone. And it gave his awards--Purple Heart, Bronze Star--showed that he died in Iraq, gave his date of birth, date of death. He was 20 years old. And then, at the very top of the headstone, it didn't have a Christian cross, it didn't have the Star of David, it had crescent and a star of the Islamic faith. And his name was Kareem Rashad Sultan Khan, and he was an American. He was born in New Jersey. He was 14 years old at the time of 9/11, and he waited until he can go serve his country, and he gave his life. Now, we have got to stop polarizing ourself in this way. And John McCain is as nondiscriminatory as anyone I know. But I'm troubled about the fact that, within the party, we have these kinds of expressions.

So, when I look at all of this and I think back to my Army career, we've got two individuals, either one of them could be a good president. But which is the president that we need now? Which is the individual that serves the needs of the nation for the next period of time? And I come to the conclusion that because of his ability to inspire, because of the inclusive nature of his campaign, because he is reaching out all across America, because of who he is and his rhetorical abilities--and we have to take that into account--as well as his substance--he has both style and substance--he has met the standard of being a successful president, being an exceptional president. I think he is a transformational figure. He is a new generation coming into the world--onto the world stage, onto the American stage, and for that reason I'll be voting for Senator Barack Obama.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Belindagogo View Post
    Instead they are bragging about their Joe the Plumber endorsement.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information