Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Colin Powell endorses Barack Obama!

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    I missed this before. I was impressed with the way Powell explained his reasons for endorsing Obama. And I knew part of it had to do with the way the Republicans have been race-baiting lately.
    Wow, I just watched it and must admit that I got choked up when he went to the part about the Muslim soldier's headstone. He was diplomatic but very tough on McCain's campaign and the Republican Party. I'm also impressed that the media let him have his say without trying to compress him into a soundbite. If only we'd had more of this approach in the last two election cycles.

However, I still have not heard Powell speak of his own record's blot nor say anything specific on the Iraq War history. That was what I was asking about. I don't think it's something he needs to address in an endorsement--that would weaken his stance. But I'd be happy to know anything anyone has said about it.
    Posted from my fucking iPhone

I still think he's a lying sack of shit.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

I am no fan of his especially when he presented the case for the Iraq war but I think he did kind of redeemed himself a bit with this. And I loved his comments about the Muslim soldier - shows how hypocritical and racist the Republicans are.

He may still be a lying sack of shit, as Grimm says, but I was impressed with his point about how Muslims can be American, and how a Muslim American child could grow up to be president, because honestly, I thought he didn't have to say that. He could've made a strong and stirring endorsement without this line of thinking, and I believe it was brave of him because as we have found out during this election cycle, there are plenty of Americans who fear and even hate Muslims.

It seemed to me that Powell is trying to do the right thing here, speaking his real convictions, and yes, maybe trying to redeem himself in the process. Whatever his motivations and past actions, I applaud him for coming out here as his own man to say something complex and important and profound. He's not just endorsing, but he's raising the question of who we are as Americans, who we want to be, and where America is going.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinola View Post
    Thank you--my Firefox browser is all screwed up and won't let me watch things, so I'll switch to Explorer and take a look at this.

I went to a few Web sites and saw that Powell has called this Iraq thing a "blot" on his record that he regrets. I bet!

But as I was trying to say before, at least this is someone who knows the inside story on Iraq and is coming out against McCain, who plainly wants the U.S. to fight on there.
    My firefox is screwed up this way too! - right after I upgraded to the latest version. It's very annoying. I can't seem to fix it, I lost all my bookmarks and video capabilities and now I have no choice but to go back to the awful explorer.

^^ Have you updated your flash software like adobe and java. That could be a factor- I had a similar problem but it got fixed when I updated.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinola View Post
    He may still be a lying sack of shit, as Grimm says, but I was impressed with his point about how Muslims can be American, and how a Muslim American child could grow up to be president, because honestly, I thought he didn't have to say that. He could've made a strong and stirring endorsement without this line of thinking, and I believe it was brave of him because as we have found out during this election cycle, there are plenty of Americans who fear and even hate Muslims.

It seemed to me that Powell is trying to do the right thing here, speaking his real convictions, and yes, maybe trying to redeem himself in the process. Whatever his motivations and past actions, I applaud him for coming out here as his own man to say something complex and important and profound. He's not just endorsing, but he's raising the question of who we are as Americans, who we want to be, and where America is going.
    couldn't agree more.
    all the speculation about obama being a muslim has really brought out the worst in american society and only proves how deeply engrained racism and xenophobia are in every society. it's just expressed differently but all countries are equally guilty.

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty View Post
    My firefox is screwed up this way too! - right after I upgraded to the latest version. It's very annoying. I can't seem to fix it, I lost all my bookmarks and video capabilities and now I have no choice but to go back to the awful explorer.
    have you tried starting over? i had to re-install the new firefox twice in two weeks on my work computer before all my bookmarks and add-ons worked properly.
    Last edited by Tati; October 22nd, 2008 at 03:49 PM.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    have you tried starting over? i had to re-install the new firefox twice in two weeks on my work computer before all my bookmarks and add-ons worked properly.

I'm updating Java and Adobe now. I have already uninstalled and reinstalled once with no relief. I guess it's worth trying again. I had an extensive list of bookmarks that I'm pissed that are lost and that I didn't back up. Never occurred to me that Firefox would fuck up on me.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    couldn't agree more.
    all the speculation about obama being a muslim has really brought out the worst in american society and only proves how deeply engrained racism and xenophobia are in every society. it's just expressed differently but all countries are equally guilty.
    Colin Powell was the first person to hit it right on the haed. Why should't a Muslim child dream of being President? They can love this country with the best of us and yet I have never heard any story like this one-so tragic,so beautiful.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I don't know, while many of you make valid points, he and this whole 'I'll wait until a few weeks to announce my endorsement to the world' schtick as hollow. He sounds like a pro athlete making everyone wait for the national media to announce his retirement. There are plenty of other military generals and personnel that I have much more respect for in terms of endorsement.

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty View Post
    I'm updating Java and Adobe now. I have already uninstalled and reinstalled once with no relief. I guess it's worth trying again. I had an extensive list of bookmarks that I'm pissed that are lost and that I didn't back up. Never occurred to me that Firefox would fuck up on me.
    Let me know if you figure it out. I've done a bunch of un- and reinstalling and have searched the Firefox site for help, etc., and I've temporarily given up until someone offers me a concrete solution that definitely worked for them. Same thing happened to DH with the Firefox update.

We didn't lose our bookmarks, though. Bummer!

In spite of my hate of what he did with the Bush administration and his eventual semi-excuses, I found Powell's words to be both intelligent and true.

The reasons he gave for why Obama should be President was based on common sense and being right, not the partisan talking points on both sides of the aisle.

But the words that really got me was the discussion on being Muslim in America. Powell said things that no one on either side has really said on the record; that being Muslim not only isn't wrong but that they are part of this country and seeing all the anti-Muslim campaigning is a sort of Blacklisting, saying you are bad because you believe in this or that.

All in all, amazing words from Gen. Powell this morning.

As much as I disagree with Powell's politics and past actions regarding the war, this should be proof enough that not all Republicans are falling into line. It's become obvious that McCain/Palin don't represent what's best for this country and people are starting to think in terms of what direction is best rather than solely along political party lines.

Silver Member

Hope this helps Obama in the poll numbers. Wonder how McCain feels about Colin Powell endorsing Obama? McCain thinks of himself as such a big military guy,he is actually a big warhawk like Lieberman.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Wombat View Post
    I just watched it on MTP: Powell endorses Obama for president - Meet the Press, online at MSNBC - MSNBC.com
    Powell was very eloquent and logical in his reasoning. It'll be hard to say anything to discount his endorsement.
    I agree. Although Powell, having sniffed at what it's like to be a politician and therefore obviously having learned to be self-serving, may have chosen a time most appropriate to his benefit to come out with this endorsement, I think he motivated his choice well and I believe quite genuinely. More importantly he explained in a way that even most ignorants can understand, and will hopefully bring some pause to others to stop and question their own motivations for a quick dismissal of the idea of not just a Democratic President, but an Afro-American Democratic President.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information