Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Claremont, California parents clash over kindergarten Thanksgiving costumes

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    "The modern Christmas tree was likely born in the 8th century, when St. Boniface was converting the Germanic tribes. The tribes worshipped oak trees, decorating them for the winter solstice.
    St. Boniface cut down an enormous oak tree, that was central to the worship of a particular tribe, but a fir tree grew in its place. The evergreen was offered as a symbol of Christianity, which the newly converted Germans began decorating for Christmas. Prince Albert, who was German, introduced the Christmas tree to England after his marriage to Queen Victoria in 1840. German immigrants to Pennsylvania brought Christmas trees to
    America."
    Yeah, Boniface was a douche, however while the oak groves were considered to be sacred places dedicated to the gods, there is little archeological evidence that the trees themselves were worshipped. That is an interpretation laid upon them by the Christians who were more than eager to depict people as superstitious savages. The whole "fir tree grew in it's place" thing sounds like a lovely fairy tale.

The tradition of decorating trees for the winter solstice was found dating back to the Roman festival of Saturnalia which in turn borrowed heavily from Egyptian traditions. I'm not sure what you mean by "modern" because this sucker goes back thousands of years.
    "But I am very poorly today & very stupid & I hate everybody & everything." -- Charles Darwin

"Trump is, in my opinion, the first woman president of the United States." -- Roseanne Barr

Hit By Ban Bus!
    squirrels in the morning, squirrels in the evening, squirrels at suppertime!

I used to live in the German town where St Boniface's relics were at. Huge cathedral holding his bones and gory depictions of his death. Some pagan stabbed him in the head through a Bible, ha ha. I guess they didn't have the game Rock Paper Scissors when he was a kid because he would have known that Scissors/Knifes trump Paper every time.

My mom is a vegetarian and made this yesterday!! The stuffing inside the Tofurkey went great with my steak! No turkeys were harmed in the preparation of our meal.
    I'm not quite drunk enough to really care, but is this her violation of her violation of her violation of her violation of probation or her violation of her violation of her violation of her probation????? ~MontanaMama on LL's latest arrest.

Hit By Ban Bus!
    squirrels in the morning, squirrels in the evening, squirrels at suppertime!

mMMMM Tofurkey...

we made this.. Turducken

It's the opposite of Tofurkey in every way..meat stuffed in meat stuffed in meat with more meat! heheheheh

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread Information