Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Claremont, California parents clash over kindergarten Thanksgiving costumes

www.manatake.org/page269.html

....the opinion of those who are directly involved......only they can determine if these "celebrations" are offensive...

Oh for fucks sake. Does the type of cardboard buckle offend the honor of pilgrims?

What about the height of the stupid hat? Is that ok, or does it need to be exactly measured?

Does construction paper offend anybody?

Should the name of thanksgiving be changed to "wholesale slaughter of indigenous north american tribes" ?

people need to get a fucking grip. the intent is to celebrate a historical and traditional event, not purposefully rape the memories and cultures of how many people.

It is NOT blackface. Blackface is intentionally racist, degredation for entertainment. This is not.

People need to grow the fuck up. THIS IS WHY BEING A KID FUCKING SUCKS NOWADAYS because of retard adults like this PC'ing the fun out of everything even when the intent is not harmful.

Fuck, let your kids BREATHE.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

If dressing up as pilgrims and Native Americans, to recreate the event which Thanksgiving is based upon, is so demeaning, why is Thanksgiving a holiday?

Some people bitch entirely too much.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Actually, (feeling quite the poindexter) the hats are never done correctly as well. I just feel if you are going to teach something you should teach it the right way? Why not?

Sail1620 - Discover History: Pilgrim Clothing

...you two both hate bigots (of various kinds)....but the only way to overcome bigotry is to start young before the kids form opinions that they take into adulthood......

This is not bigotry. They are celebrating a historical event, not oppressing anybody, or purposefully engaging in cultural degredation. It's not even accidental cultural degredation!

People seem all well and fine to claim that the natives are being demeaned by little kids wearing construction paper feathers, but nobody seems to wonder if construction paper pilgrim hats are offensive to pilgrims or europeans in general.

That is why it's stupid.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

This isn't bigotry. Just as Civil War reenactments are not bigotry. To tell the story of the events, without bias, is fine.

These children were learning about sharing and helping others. They aren't reenacting the spreading of smallpox or the bloody battles.

This is just people looking for reasons to complain and cause conflict.

....did you two read the link?.....because it says just that....the "thanksgiving" celebrations are all a bunch of horseshit and nothing at all like what happened historically.....but we all believe the "lie" because it's been repeated to us since we were children....

Last I checked, the pilgrims didn't step foot on american soil and begin butchering natives the second their buckled shoes were dry. They DID share a historic meal, and the natives actually helped the pilgrims survive the harsh winter that they were utterly unprepared for.

Of course, after that the pilgrims wped the natives out with smallpox and muskets, but for that year it was nice

...so, no, you didn't read the link.....no point in me arguing then.....go on believing the lies you were told as a child.....

your link is broken,.

Hit By Ban Bus!

THE REAL STORY OF THANKSGIVING

The story began in 1614 when a band of English explorers sailed home to England with a ship full of Patuxet Indians bound for slavery. They left behind smallpox which virtually wiped out those who had escaped. By the time the Pilgrims arrived in Massachusetts Bay they found only one living Patuxet Indian, a man named Squanto who had survived slavery in England and knew their language. He taught them to grow corn and to fish, and negotiated a peace treaty between the Pilgrims and the Wampanoag Nation. At the end of their first year, the Pilgrims held a great feast honoring Squanto and the Wampanoags.

And this part is nice too

In 1637 near present day Groton, Connecticut, over 700 men, women and children of the Pequot Tribe had gathered for their annual Green Corn Festival which is our Thanksgiving celebration. In the predawn hours the sleeping Indians were surrounded by English and Dutch mercenaries who ordered them to come outside. Those who came out were shot or clubbed to death while the terrified women and children who huddled inside the longhouse were burned alive. The next day the governor of the Massachusetts Bay Colony declared "A Day Of Thanksgiving" because 700 unarmed men, women and children had been murdered.
    Cheered by their "victory", the brave colonists and their Indian allies attacked village after village. Women and children over 14 were sold into slavery while the rest were murdered. Boats loaded with a many as 500 slaves regularly left the ports of New England. Bounties were paid for Indian scalps to encourage as many deaths as possible.

He taught them to grow corn and to fish, and negotiated a peace treaty between the Pilgrims and the Wampanoag Nation. At the end of their first year, the Pilgrims held a great feast honoring Squanto and the Wampanoags.
    Yeah, see?

Hit By Ban Bus!

This is why its hard to take people seriously any more. I mean wasn't there massive outrage at the supposed hypocrisy of minorities voting for Prop 8. The idea was "how can someone who has been oppressed be so dismissive of someone else's oppression" and yet, here we are with one of the biggest advocates, totally laughing off the enslavement and murder of Native Americans and the forced ritual of dressing up in the white washed version of a friendly picnic in the glen. Then people wonder why people tune out cries of injustice. Everyone turns a blind eye when it doesn't effect them.

I don't see what the big deal is about teaching accurate history to our children.

There was also this big fru fru kevetching about how children aren't taught properly and how it leads to the downfall of civilization as we know it. But that doesn't count for history only spelling.

You are a trip and half! LOL!!

nooo, this is what they were celebrating:

He taught them to grow corn and to fish, and negotiated a peace treaty between the Pilgrims and the Wampanoag Nation. At the end of their first year, the Pilgrims held a great feast honoring Squanto and the Wampanoags.
    That is the intent. The fact that the ACTUAL version has been reduced to this for easy child consumption, and to celebrate this small bit of co-operation (which is a good thing to teach kids) might be a bit off, but the INTENT is good.

They aren't celebrating the wholesale slaughter of a people for gods sake. They're celebrating the bit where they co-operated. They're little kids, we can save the holocaust and native decimation for when they're a bit older.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information