Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Claremont, California parents clash over kindergarten Thanksgiving costumes

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    *tries to picture King as Indian hunk in feathers and beads. Swoons.*
    That's all I'm wearing is feathers and beads? Hell, I better start doing some sit-ups and crunches.

OMG I had this arguement on another forum (which is filled with troll-like PC-sists).

They say that children should be "taught correctly" on how to celebrate Thanksgiving. I ask "well how should they be taught correctly on how to celebrate. They're 5 year old kids?" They responded with the "Well they should'nt wear headbands and feathers because that's a sterotype on Native Americans". Again I respond with "So what, they're children. You can't stop them making headbands and feathers with construction paper. Sure Indian wear is'nt universal but these are kids having fun at school."

Of course I got a bunch of "OMG they're called Native Americans not INDIANS blahblahlahbalhblahblah!!!!!". It's fucking dumb and it shows that these idiots just want to screw up what little happiness these children can get in school. Pisses me off.

BTW I loved making paper turkeys when i was little. You know, where you place your hand on a piece of paper and trace then cut it out, and then color or glue on feathers on the fingers. So much fun. Bet you the PC-isists will go after that next since it might encourage kids to "kill turkeys".

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

I say they let them hunt buffalo like real native Americans used to do, then put them all out into the wilderness to survive. It's what the pilgrims did and it's what children should do. It'll toughen those little pukes right up.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Of course I got a bunch of "OMG they're called Native Americans not INDIANS blahblahlahbalhblahblah!!!!!".
    I'd love to see those type of people up here. Considering there's an INDIAN Affairs minister/department. That's the 'official' name for it...and funny that no one has a problem with it.

Another thing,the REAL Native Americans around here have occasions where they exhibit their dances and tribal beadwork-wearing lots of feathers. It is hardly insulting to have children mimic them. One of my co-workers had the most incredible outfit-his shoes were made entirely of tiny white and blue beads that his grandmother had made for him. So beautiful. His headdress was white feathers that went from the top of his head almost to the ground.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Next thing you know they'll want to stop people from dressing up in blackface.
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

Pick your battles; bitch about the celebration of Columbus Day.

They were making head dresses this morning at my son's school. He was being kind of clingy when I went to leave so the teacher distracted him with picking feathers for his head dress. The evil european in me was grateful for their display of racist stereotypes so I wasn't late to the office and the yaqui/navajo in me didn't give a shit because all of me needed to get to work.
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

I dunno about you, but when I see kids in feathers or pilgrim hats i cackle evilly with lightning cracking outside the window to my secret lair.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

...wtf... Seriously, just wtf...

dreaming about being on a lake in Ontario

I know what happened after that first Thanksgiving feast, but......at that feast the Native Americans and the pilgrims feasted for three days. It is a fact. They are celebrating the first thanksgiving. They Indians did wear fethered headbands, the pilgrims did wear pilgrim outfits. There is nothing wrong with celebrating what that first thanksgiving was. It is anything but demeaning as it was because of the Indians that they made it through that first year. Nice message I think. As to the "real" story, 5 year olds should hear the cleaned up version. They can learn the nasty truth as they get older.
    If I can't be a good example, then let me be a horrible warning.

^^and yet, none of you women want your little girls to play with Barbie because of her "inappropriate" clothing and shape?.....what is the difference between feeding your kids one pile of crap and not another?....won't your little girls be able to figure out in high school that they look like sluts if they dress like Barbie?.......

Hell I prefer Barbie to those damn Bratz dolls, talk about sluts!!

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by cynic View Post
    ^^and yet, none of you women want your little girls to play with Barbie because of her "inappropriate" clothing and shape?.....what is the difference between feeding your kids one pile of crap and not another?....won't your little girls be able to figure out in high school that they look like sluts if they dress like Barbie?.......
    I agree with this. Also that some people who have been really mad about "stereotypes' and oppression in other threads have no problem with children being told lies and encouraged to dress up in costumes that may or may not disrespect the culture? It would be one thing if children were actually taught about the feathers and the costumes but just goofing is no different than blackface in a way.

My daughters kindergarten class did not "goof" on it. She knows that it lasted three days, that the Indians brought 5 deer, and why it was held. Young teachers are more likely to tell the true story.

Hit By Ban Bus!

What do the colors of the feathers mean then?
    Plains Indian Golden Feather Headdresses

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information