Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cindy Sheehan to chain herself to White House

I don't get what sympathy has to do with it? If she's protesting the war simply because it's wrong, then we don't need to be sympathetic to her, just aware and willing to listen...but if she's protesting out of grief over her son's death then it becomes a situation where she might actually need some professional assistance and perhaps our sympathy. I'm not sure that sympathy plays any part in a war protest.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Although some people might not agree with war protestor's methods, they could be sympathetic to thier stance.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by buttmunch View Post
    Although some people might not agree with war protestor's methods, they could be sympathetic to thier stance.
    Sure, if I try hard enough I can be sympathetic to anyone's stance, but I'm not looking for hugs and nods of approval, I want the truth and someone I can stand behind.

The issue I have with all of this is that (assuming this actually is a war protest and not a grief process that needs professional help) she appears to be exploiting the sympathy of others to garner media attention. Granted, maybe it's media attention she wants...but if that's the case, get your ass on every talk show in America, do the tours, don't chain yourself to the White House with the full knowledge that they will simply haul you off to jail and post your handcuffed pictures all over the papers. The right will go nuts with stuff like that and further attempt to denigrate her character and her position.

If she focused her anger, balls and sheer tenacity into an intelligent and insightful request made through major media outlets (not shouted through a bullhorn as the cuffs are put in place), I think she would be much more successful.

I see what you're saying but she's a boomer and probably from the era where it's better to go out and agitate (shit, I can never spell that word) rather than take the corporate talk show route. I think how she chooses to express her disapproval is really up to her. And I don't think someone who is grieving the loss of a child necessarily needs professional help. That's a spin line thrown out there by the repugs and thier lap dogs to discredit her as some sort of grief-stricken mother driven over the age by her terrible loss.

Some may agree with her methods, some may not, but to boil it down to her being a pr whore or some nutjob isn't valid, at least not to me.

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Bronze Member

I can't stand the woman.

Ever since she played her dumb little games on NPR I have no use for her.

No Abbie Hoffman she.

Well, according to your quote, you live in a closed, cold and unsympathetic world and are just such a person as a result.
    I think that people are a product mostly of their attitudes. Yes, terrible things happen, but we chose how we react to those events.

I'm not really sure what you are trying to say, but I'm not at all unsympathetic to the plight of others. I feel bad that she lost her son, & can understand her grief completely, but I am questioniong her motivations for such a protest. I think there are better ways to protest this war that would convince more people to her stance.
    A loving person lives in a loving world. A hostile person lives in a hostile world. Everyone you meet is your mirror. -Ken Keyes Jr.

Now why would anyone want a mother who is protesting a war that killed her son to die? Compassionate conservatism my ass.
    i never claimed to buy into compassionate conservatism in the first place. i'm not for making peace with the enemy. LOL
    All this can be yours for only $19.95!

The more attention she brings to bear on this war based on lies and cronyism, the better.

Who cares if she's annoying, she draws attention to things most americans have been ashamed into pretending weren't there, or were in total denial about.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

I'm with Grimm. And fuck everyone who thinks 'she needs help' or that 'she's just doing this for the publicity'. Walk in her shoes for a mile or two and see how you start acting. I'm really surprised at the level of hatred for a woman who is just speaking her mind. Is it because it's hitting an uncomfortable spot?

--Sinclair Lewis

Bronze Member

^No.

I just really don't like her.

I think she's playing her little attention game purely out of self-enjoyment.

What are you basing that on?
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Bronze Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    What are you basing that on?
    Ok this is just my lowly opinion.

Sheehan's actions whenever given the opportunity to really speak her peace turns the interview into a "your breaking up", "I have to go" little smart ass game playing situation that does nothing whatsoever for her credibility or the issues she professes she supports.

Ok. She wants the war to end. Her son was killed. Now...write a valid speech without name calling, catty little comments and oddly bizarre behaviour and deliver it !

So ? Make your case when given the chance to do so instead of playing dumb little games !

I think the woman is acting out a mental breakdown.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information