Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chrysler ups the tard ante by presenting.. a new SUV! Just what we need!

Default But wait, there's more!

MSNBC.com

Will the real Chrysler please stand up?
    Chrysler debuts a new Grand Cherokee at show, but dangles a Fiat

The Associated Press
    updated 12:04 p.m. PT, Wed., April 8, 2009

NEW YORK - Chrysler unveiled a new SUV at the New York International Auto Show on Wednesday, but a smaller vehicle grabbed a lot of attention: the Fiat 500 that brought Chrysler President Jim Press to the stage.

"Wouldn't that make a great new company car?" Press said as he stepped out of his subcompact ride. "We're dreaming about the possibilities for the future."

Chrysler LLC needs those dreams to become reality quickly if the Auburn Hills, Mich., automaker expects to survive much longer.

The Obama administration issued a scathing rejection of the company's survival plan March 30 and gave it 30 days to secure a merger with another automaker, most likely Italy's Fiat SpA. Without a deal, the government said Chrysler won't be able to meet an expected increase in demand for small cars, and it won't get any more federal aid, leaving it likely to be liquidated in bankruptcy court.

The White House also scolded Chrysler for having a product lineup heavily weighted with trucks and SUVs, yet the only new product the company is unveiling at the New York show is a redesigned Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Chrysler insists the SUV, which clocks in at 20 mpg in its two-wheel-drive version and 19 in four-wheel-drive, is a crowd favorite and a crucial part of its lineup.

"This is a very important vehicle for us. It's one of the primary legs of the Chrysler stool," Chrysler spokesman Rick Deneau said. "Customers have told us they want this vehicle and that it's the right size."

The 2011 model is 11 percent more fuel efficient than its predecessor, powered by a cleaner and more powerful engine. Still, Chrysler's decision to unveil it just a few days after the government's criticism seems like odd timing to say the least.

But Chrysler is standing by the Grand Cherokee. It's profitable, recognizable and the No. 2-selling vehicle in the Jeep lineup. Grand Cherokee sales fell by almost half during the first three months of the year, but its market share has remained steady, according to Autodata Corp.

"It is one of their most important vehicles," said John Wolkonowicz, senior automotive analyst for the consulting firm IHS-Global Insight. "The market for SUVs has not completely gone away, particularly for smaller ones like the Grand Cherokee."

The automaker expects its tentative partnership with Fiat to plug the holes in its small-car offerings. It hopes fuel-efficient Fiat cars, like the two-seater 500, will sell on this side of the Atlantic.

Press said the car's cameo at Chrysler's news conference illustrates the possibilities of a Chrysler-Fiat partnership.

"It shows you the breadth of our portfolio and the possibilities that this marriage could have," he said.

Later, Press told reporters that Chrysler is working "24 hours a day" to reach a deal, and "at this point in time with Fiat, we don't see anything that would be an impasse or a deal breaker."

But even if an alliance with Fiat goes through, the Italian automaker's vehicles wouldn't make it to the U.S. until 2011. Until then, Chrysler, which is clinging to a $4 billion taxpayer lifeline, has little choice but to survive on revenue from its current vehicle lineup.

"I think it's going to be written up as being out of touch, but from a business standpoint, I think it's the right thing to be doing," Wolkonowicz said of the Jeep's unveiling.

In fact, the new Grand Cherokee's new engine does manage to eke out higher fuel economy on top of additional power. Assuming a customer opts for the 20 mpg Cherokee, that means a driver who logs 10,000 miles in a year will spend about $1,020 on gas at today's prices.

That's on par with the fuel economy of competitors like the Toyota Highlander.

The Grand Cherokee also features an air suspension system that lowers the vehicle at higher speeds to improve aerodynamics and fuel efficiency, while delivering 33 percent better horsepower than its predecessor.

Still, it's no gas sipper. A 2009 Toyota Camry sedan, by contrast, gets 26 mpg and would cost the same driver $785 per year in gas.

The Cherokee is the first of two dozen vehicles that Chrysler, widely believed to be the weakest of the Big Three automakers, says it plans to unveil over the next four years. If the automaker secures a merger along with concessions from its union and other stakeholders, the $6 billion in additional loans promised by the federal government will certainly help it reach that goal.

Karl Brauer, editor in chief of the automotive Web site Edmunds.com, said it may be hard for Chrysler to please both the government, which is demanding greater fuel efficiency from the Big Three, and its customers, many of whom still demand big cars.

"It would be far more foolish for Chrysler to abandon its core competencies in the Jeep brand lineup than it is to come out with a new" Grand Cherokee, Brauer said.

As Wolkonowicz put it: "To some extent, it's refreshing to me to see them not kowtowing to the government."

2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
    URL: Will the real Chrysler please stand up? - Autos- msnbc.com

MSN Privacy . Legal
    2009 MSNBC.com

Ah Bob Nardelli, is there anything this man CAN'T fuck up?

Some of the stories my mother's heard (she works at Home Depot) ups this guy's douchebag status way passed Fox news.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Why would anyone, in this day and age, drive a large car, particularly an SUV?
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Elite Member

Just a long, slow suicide.

A*O

The iconic Fiat 500 has been around for at least 50 years in one form or another. It's nothing new but like, it's Eyetalian and, like, foreign and small and economical and might make people think the driver has a tiny dick and stuff.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

I love the new Fiat. We're thinking about getting one.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by buttmunch View Post
    I have an SUV, a 2006 Honda Pilot. We got it because we have 2 kids and need more room for our stuff. When we go to the beach the back of that thing is packed! Also, the third row seating that pops up is useful for when we ride with the grandparents or take a kid friend along somewhere. We could've gotten a minivan for all that but I don't like the way they look and the gas mileage is the same.

Oh, and also, we were always borrowing a friend or my dad's small truck to haul stuff, and now we don't really need to do that. I brought home a porch full of furniture in our SUV (all in boxes needing assembly, of course).

Quote Originally Posted by hotncmom View Post
    I have an SUV, a 2006 Honda Pilot. We got it because we have 2 kids and need more room for our stuff. When we go to the beach the back of that thing is packed! Also, the third row seating that pops up is useful for when we ride with the grandparents or take a kid friend along somewhere. We could've gotten a minivan for all that but I don't like the way they look and the gas mileage is the same.

Oh, and also, we were always borrowing a friend or my dad's small truck to haul stuff, and now we don't really need to do that. I brought home a porch full of furniture in our SUV (all in boxes needing assembly, of course).
    I'm glad you mentioned everything you did about the Pilot. If we have another kid, we're going to need another row of seating for the carseats and I don't see myself quite ready (ever) to move into minivan territory.

Elite Member

I wouldn't put anything other than an unattached booster seat in the third row, though. I don't think the third row has the tethers, and besides that, it's cramped back there, you'd have a hard time strapping a child in and out. My son rides back there but he uses a small booster and he can fasten his own seatbelt.

I think by the time we're ready for it, my oldest might qualify for a booster, but thanks for that though, I'll keep it in mind. Right now I have two Britax's and those things are bloody huge.

My mother's driving a 1999 Grand Cherokee....after finally getting it back from my father (long fucked up story). She works about 30 km away and this winter, the Neon she was driving definitely wasn't going to cut it.

Silver Member

Because people want to put something else in their car besides themselves and one bag of groceries. Lots of folks who own trucks actually haul sh!t to their farms/homes etc. Also people with multiple children can't squeeze them all in a hybrid.

Also big cars get great mileage. I own a Lincoln that has over 400,000 miles on it (it was my father's work car) and runs great and I don't have to worry about accelerating if a truck pulls up behind me.

Also people with multiple children can't squeeze them all in a hybrid.
    In a hybrid SUV you can! There are quite a few good hybrid models out now.

My mother-in-law's currently considering SUVs to buy. She's looking for something used, so likely not a hybrid, but she just wants it to haul her boat, so that's cool. What I really don't get is why she's been driving a minivan for the past decade (with no kids/pets/anything at home). It's huge, really lame (like no features and the dash displays tell you nothing about what's going on with your engine), guzzles gas and she doesn't need it for anything. But oh well.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information