Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Caroline Kennedy reportedly interested in taking over Hillary Clinton's Senate seat

^^^
    yeah but if she turns out to be good (just like hilary did), does it really matter?
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

^Gee, why not start calling it the House of Lords since you have to be either super rich or from a famous family to get elected to it?

all i'm saying is, be thankful it's a kennedy and not a bush...
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

^Well, Jeb Bush is going to run for the Senate seat in Florida.

and he'll probably win.
    like i said, i'd rather see a kennedy appointed any day over a bush that is democratically elected...
    it might not jive with my principles and all that but in terms of the end result, there's no contest...

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    ^Well, Jeb Bush is going to run for the Senate seat in Florida.
    If Jeb makes it to the Senate, he'll definitely benefit from the Bush name. But, at least, he can say that he also served in public office prior to the Senate run, which isn't the same situation with Hillary and Caroline.

^But with all the nepotistic succession going on in the Senate, we might as well rename it the House of Lords.

^^I agree, there is a LOT of nepotism going on.

I mean look at Nancy Pelosi. She comes from a political family and benefited from her own family name and her husband's. But she worked her way up in politics. From what I read, she was elected the chairwoman of the Northern California Democratic Party, and then worked her way up from there. True, she was picked as the successor for another Congresswoman who was dying of cancer, but it wasn't as if she hadn't done anything prior to that except have a famous last name.

^Although, Pelosi's last name isn't as famous as Kennedy, Bush or Clinton.

^True, Pelosi's name is nowhere near as famous, but it helped her when she first started out in politics.

i guess i'm definitely more of a cynic and i think there will always be nepotism and political dynasties, it goes with the territory. so for me, it doesn't really matter how you get your foot in the door, what matters is what you do once you're there.
    if you're like libby dole and don't do anything and think you can coast on your name and the fact that you were elected once, then you deserve to be thrown out. but if you're like hilary clinton and work like hell and always try to get further ahead, then i don't give a damn if your family name or relations helped, i think she's a positive asset to the system and i hope she's in it for a long time.

Exactly. Hillary got a boost from her name, but she ended up being a good senator, and I think she'll end up being a good Secretary of State, too.

Dubya got a boost from his name, and was completely useless as a president. So, it depends on what that person does with the opportunity that their famous name gives them.

So if we're gonna go by name and not qualifications....

How bout William Kennedy Smth?

(Said tongue in cheek, obviously )
    Is it Happy Hour yet?

Question

Saturday December 20, 2008 06:58 EST
    Is Caroline Kennedy pro-choice?

Caroline Kennedy's claim on Hillary Clinton's soon to be vacant Senate seat took a couple of hits on Friday. The Associated Press revealed that Kennedy hasn't voted in at least six major elections in the last 20 years, including the 1994 election for the seat she wants to claim. And on "Hardball" this afternoon, Kerry Kennedy told Chris Matthews she didn't know whether or not her cousin is pro-choice; she said they'd never talked about it.

I respect Kerry Kennedy and her loyalty to her cousin, but her answer underscored all the reasons why Kennedy's sudden pursuit of the Clinton Senate seat feels so off. This very private person hasn't left much of a public footprint. I applaud her raising $70 million for New York's public schools, but we know very little else about her political views or involvements. The idea that she'd make Gov. David Paterson's short list for the Senate appointment without any public statement on the divisive but crucial issue of abortion is problematic. According to published reports, she has called New York abortion rights leaders seeking support for her Senate crusade, implying she's pro-choice, but the fact that her own cousin can't say with certainty is disturbing.

Kennedy appears to be a person of intelligence and integrity, but she either has bad political instincts or she's getting bad political advice in her sudden, unorthodox campaign for the Senate. Her short tour of New York, visiting Harlem and Buffalo and talking to political leaders, but making no public statements and taking no media questions, has set exactly the wrong tone. She doesn't have time for a listening tour; she's got to talk, too. Clinton's famous listening tour only worked because she began it a year before she faced election. Ultimately the voters would decide if they liked what they saw and heard. Kennedy only needs to impress one person right now, and that's Paterson, and he can't be liking what he's hearing.

-- Joan Walsh

Is Caroline Kennedy pro-choice? - Joan Walsh - Salon.com

^^ i saw this today. thats not cool for her.

thers another dude who supposedly wants it and has a better democratic voting record

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread Information