Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 105

Thread: Caroline Kennedy reportedly interested in taking over Hillary Clinton's Senate seat

  1. #76
    Elite Member witchcurlgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Acerbia
    Posts
    33,708

    Default

    I think we all understand that politics is all about the trading of influence and favors.

    But they say we get the government we deserve, and when the favors extend to dediciding who gets power as in appointments, then the elected politicians owe it to place the best people in the job. Kennedy is not the best choice here. There are many better. And when excellent public servants like Maloney get pushed aside for a famous name, and the public are fine with it then that's the government they deserve.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone


    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.


    If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

  2. #77
    Elite Member NicoleWasHere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    kcmo
    Posts
    14,473

    Default

    Caroline shouldn't get the seat just because of who her relatives were. Make her work for it, if she really wants it.

  3. #78
    Elite Member LynnieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    34,698

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AliceInWonderland View Post
    lol lynnie, you'll learn to love her im sure and how is lil caroline??????
    Full of the devil!! Had a double ear infection, a sinus infection AND pinkeye all at the same time---you get the drift. But, she's bouncing back and climbing up my ass every chance she gets.
    She's so damn cute I swear to god.....I just adore her...

    Almost 2 yrs old also! Crazy.
    Thanks for asking!

  4. #79
    Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    you already know.
    Posts
    44,442

    Default

    ^awwww poor lil GR baby

  5. #80
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,540

    Default

    Wow Lynnie, you had quite a week! When's the last time you slept through the night? My 6 year old was sent home from school this morning with strep throat. Needless to say today was the Christmas party and tomorrow is the Holiday Recital and I have one very unhappy little girl.

  6. #81
    Elite Member LynnieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    34,698

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scooter View Post
    Wow Lynnie, you had quite a week! When's the last time you slept through the night? My 6 year old was sent home from school this morning with strep throat. Needless to say today was the Christmas party and tomorrow is the Holiday Recital and I have one very unhappy little girl.
    Awww..poor little scooter!! And on the day of the party!! I'm sure she is crushed!! And after all her hard work for the recital! So unfair!

    Hope she feels better soon!!!

    My 4 yr old also had pinkeye this week, but was ok otherwise THANK GOD.

    The little one though, I think it was Monday night that she was literally up every hour or so.....but she's done pretty good since. And she LOOKS so much better now. Should have seen her....really busted.

    Sorry for the hijack! Carry on!

  7. #82
    Elite Member Fluffy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    5,600

    Default Upstate NY columnist pans Caroline

    Thursday, Dec. 18, 2008 15:30 EST
    Upstate columnist pans Caroline

    Buffalo News columnist Rod Watson is not too impressed thus far by Caroline Kennedy's attempt to court Upstate voters in western New York:
    She doesn’t even have the job yet, and she’s already acting like a seasoned insider.

    In her first visit to Buffalo and upstate since trying to clear the field by clearing her throat on a phone call to the governor, Kennedy went on a “listening tour” by listening first to political insiders in private meetings.

    You can’t get any more “seasoned” than that.

    No average Western New Yorkers expressing kitchen table concerns. Not much of a give-and-take with pesky reporters asking questions that working stiffs might want answers to. Instead, it’s mostly private sit-downs with political pooh-bahs, just like a veteran insider.

    It’s that kind of seasoning that has cooked our goose as a region. . .

    If she really wants to know upstate, she could adapt the model of the senator she wants to work with and the one she wants to replace. Both Chuck Schumer and Clinton made a point of visiting every county in the state. Kennedy could make a point of visiting every one of the 939 cities, counties, towns, villages, school districts and other assorted taxing entities in Erie County.

    That kind of listening tour would give her an idea of the level of duplication, inequity, patronage, inefficiency and downright waste that exists -- even as those entities now anticipate raising taxes to make up for state cuts.

    After all, she won’t hear about our glut of politicians from the politicians. But maybe after hearing it from taxpayers, she could find federal incentive money to offer as leverage to build the region from the core out while shrinking the levels of overlapping bureaucracy.
    Wouch. (That's a "wow" and an "ouch" combined in one.)

    P.S.: I'm not sure how there can be "counties" within Erie County, but if there are in fact 939 taxing entities in Erie, there really is something wrong there.

    ― Thomas Schaller

    Upstate columnist pans Caroline - War Room - Salon.com

  8. #83
    Elite Member nycgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    4,316

    Default

    Lets just be honest, there are millions of well educated people in the world and Ivy League graduates- a diploma doesn't make any of them qualified for one of the highest positions in NY. Being the co-author of a couple of books isn't enough either. One of my professors wrote 5 books and graduated from an Ivy League school, should she get a chance to serve also despite having no public office experience?

    Sorry but everyone knows she's getting it because of her name. And this doesn't have much to do with Hillary Clinton either, despite the fact that the situation is different considering she was elected not appointed. Even if their situations were comparable, two wrongs don't make a right. If Kennedy wants to get into politics she should do it the right way by gaining lower level experience first and working her way up.

  9. #84
    Elite Member kingcap72's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    10 miles from Pootie Tang
    Posts
    21,909

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nycgirl View Post
    Lets just be honest, there are millions of well educated people in the world and Ivy League graduates- a diploma doesn't make any of them qualified for one of the highest positions in NY. Being the co-author of a couple of books isn't enough either. One of my professors wrote 5 books and graduated from an Ivy League school, should she get a chance to serve also despite having no public office experience?

    Sorry but everyone knows she's getting it because of her name. And this doesn't have much to do with Hillary Clinton either, despite the fact that the situation is different considering she was elected not appointed. Even if their situations were comparable, two wrongs don't make a right. If Kennedy wants to get into politics she should do it the right way by gaining lower level experience first and working her way up.
    I agree, two wrongs don't make a right. But the reason why these situations are comparable is because when Hillary decided to run for the N.Y. Senate there were other N.Y. politicians who were lined up to run for that seat who were pushed aside by the Democratic Party because of Hillary's last name. And now other N.Y. politicians will be pushed aside by the Dems because of Caroline's last name. So, while Hillary was elected, she would never have gotten that chance if she wasn't part of a famous political family.

    And I also agree that if Caroline wants to get into politics she should start at a lower level. But how is that any different from Hillary, who had no previous political experience either, choosing to start her political career in the Senate?

  10. #85
    Elite Member Fluffy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    5,600

    Default

    ^I disagree. Hillary did a lot to introduce herself to voters. She had a huge "listening tour" to introduce herself to her constituents around the entire state. Caroline will barely answer reporters' questions at this point let alone start talking to NYers outside of Manhattan.

  11. #86
    Elite Member kingcap72's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    10 miles from Pootie Tang
    Posts
    21,909

    Default

    ^^Hillary's 'listening tour' doesn't change the fact she, like Caroline, had never served one day in public office. And both got shots at Senate seats because of their last name.

    Don't get me wrong, Hillary turned out to be a damn good Senator. But that doesn't change the fact that her famous last name was all she had going for her at the time, same with Caroline.

  12. #87
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    I agree, two wrongs don't make a right. But the reason why these situations are comparable is because when Hillary decided to run for the N.Y. Senate there were other N.Y. politicians who were lined up to run for that seat who were pushed aside by the Democratic Party because of Hillary's last name. And now other N.Y. politicians will be pushed aside by the Dems because of Caroline's last name. So, while Hillary was elected, she would never have gotten that chance if she wasn't part of a famous political family.

    And I also agree that if Caroline wants to get into politics she should start at a lower level. But how is that any different from Hillary, who had no previous political experience either, choosing to start her political career in the Senate?
    *Snort* So it's only HRC and CKS who need to start at a lower level...other than you. know. who. WTF? is it just that they are women? Or that they are not ...what is today's PC word? Black? African American? Why not extend to women the same umbrella? What is the problem that you have with women running for higher office that they are held to higher standards than Barack Obama, who was in the Senate 10 minutes before he ran for president?

  13. #88
    Elite Member Fluffy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    5,600

    Default

    ^Obama had seven years in the Illinois state senate before he moved on to the US Senate. He started at a lower level without a doubt.

  14. #89
    Elite Member kingcap72's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    10 miles from Pootie Tang
    Posts
    21,909

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scooter View Post
    *Snort* So it's only HRC and CKS who need to start at a lower level...other than you. know. who. WTF? is it just that they are women? Or that they are not ...what is today's PC word? Black? African American? Why not extend to women the same umbrella? What is the problem that you have with women running for higher office that they are held to higher standards than Barack Obama, who was in the Senate 10 minutes before he ran for president?
    First off, Obama was in the Senate for at least 2 years before he ran for president. He was sworn in January of 2005 and then officially announced his candidacy in February of 2007. And he didn't move to Illinois just so he could run for the Senate, and he didn't have a famous last name that pushed aside other Illinois politicians.

    Second, nobody said anything about black vs. women. So, you can stop trying to make this about race and/or gender bias. That tactic is getting really old, and it shows that you have no point to speak of. And like Fluffy pointed out, Obama did start out at a lower level politically, so what are you ranting about?

    Third, bringing Obama into this discussion about Hillary makes no sense, because people can debate whether or not Obama had enough experience to be president, but he, at least, had a political resume to go by. When Hillary ran for the Senate she had no political resume to speak of, since she hadn't served one day in public office. Same as Caroline. Which is the focus of the discussion. Try to keep up.

  15. #90
    Gold Member eeyore0101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    987

    Default

    It sucked that Hillary got elected because of her name, and it sucks that Caroline will be appointed for the same reason.

    Politics as usual, but still not cool.

    As for Obama's "debated" amount of experience, at least the people voted for him due to his policies and ideas, not due to his last name.
    Is it Happy Hour yet?

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Hillary Clinton says she's not interested in new position
    By kingcap72 in forum U.S. Politics and Issues
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: October 15th, 2008, 05:43 PM
  2. What's up Hillary Clinton's sleeve?
    By Incognito in forum U.S. Politics and Issues
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: June 8th, 2008, 01:36 PM
  3. Hillary Clinton's Civil War pt.2
    By *DIVA! in forum U.S. Politics and Issues
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: March 19th, 2008, 09:16 AM
  4. Caroline Kennedy "A President like my father!"
    By *DIVA! in forum U.S. Politics and Issues
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: February 7th, 2008, 02:06 PM
  5. Replies: 17
    Last Post: November 23rd, 2007, 10:10 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •