Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Caroline Kennedy reportedly interested in taking over Hillary Clinton's Senate seat

^I'm not entirely convinced Caroline knows how to work. I can't find much evidence that she actually used her law degree to any extent other than co-authoring a couple of books. Her most recent "work" has been the same as other NY socialites--raising money. Simply, I don't think she's prepared to any extent to work and represent a state of 19 million people.

^^You could be right. But Caroline's not a rich airhead like Paris Hilton. But if she gets the Senate seat I guess we'll all see what she's capable of.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    ^Yeah it does. Hillary was elected through a democratic process. Caroline won't be.
    yeah but NO ONE is going to be elected to this senate seat. it's an appointment. so whether it's kennedy or someone else, there will be no democratic process. so i don't see why the fact that a kennedy is being appointed is any worse than anyone else getting appointed.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I say qualifications and democratic elections be damned. If she can feel the pea under 40 mattresses than we should give her the seat

Screw seasoned deserving politicians like Carolyn Maloney, who has a history of representing the people of NY, is rated A on middle class issues, voting against war funding, voting against FISA, fighting for reproductive rights, who authored and enacted what was called "the most important anti-rape legislation ever considered by Congress" by the Rape Abuse and Incest National Network, took on credit card companies, serves on the Committee on Financial Services, the Committee on Oversight and Government Reform, and the Joint Economic Committee, and was previously the Chair of the Democratic Task Force on Homeland Security.

And that's just one of the people that are being passed over for a woman with little experience but an important family........
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

It all comes down to this. Since Caroline backed Obama instead of Hillary the consensus is that it would be a smack in Hillary's face for Caroline to get her seat.

Well in that case tough shit for Hillary.

Because it's a smack in the face of NY'ers to be forced to give up better candidates for our Senator for Caroline Kennedy.

But that's not really the case in NY state politics, the machine doesn't care if Hillary gets smacked- they know NY was just a stepping stone for her. She's not really a part of the NY dem machine, she's an outsider. I was at the Fosella brunch this weekend, and this Kennedy deal is all about Shelly Silver, Bloomberg and Teddy Kennedy- and what they're going to get out of it. Tammany Hall never went away in NY.

This is exactly the same thing as Blago's attempted sale. Only he was fool enough to ask for cold hard cash instead of influence like the typical pol.
    Last edited by witchcurlgirl; December 16th, 2008 at 10:55 PM.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

This isn't anything like the Blago situation with Obama's seat, which is just a major clusterfuck.

And if somebody thinks that Caroline's appointment would benefit somebody else, well, guess what, that's politics. Any political appointment somehow benefits somebody else. And Caroline getting Hillary's seat wouldn't be the end of the world. And if she screws up the voters can vote her out.

As a New Yorker....I'm unsure about this,

While I like Caroline Kennedy a lot, I'm unsure if she is qualified for this position--and I do realize that she has an advanced degree and has written books on numerous political subjects. I mean the SOCIAL/RIDICULOUS aspects of the job. The bullshit papparrazi, the CRAP...we all know. And hey, obviously she has been exposed to a lot of this already, having been born into the family she was.....but still. I cannot put my finger on it.

I'm sure NY could do FAR worse. So, if she really wants it, and wants to deal with the bullshit that comes with it....then hope Paterson gives her a serious look.

Um...and I won't lie. I like her name...Caroline.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    This isn't anything like the Blago situation with Obama's seat, which is just a major clusterfuck.
    Well here our opinions diverge- suprise suprise, because I see it as quite similar. 'You can have the Senate seat if I get something in return'. But so do Joe Klein , Glenn Greenwald (one of the few journalists left that I truly respect and admire), Chris Bowers, Alison Kilkenny........I'm content to be in agreement with that company on ' Pay to Play' even if you and I aren't.
    Last edited by witchcurlgirl; December 16th, 2008 at 10:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    Well here our opinions diverge- suprise suprise, because I see it as quite similar. 'You can have the Senate seat if I get something in return'. But so do Joe Klein , Glenn Greenwald , Chris Bowers, Alison Kilkenny........I'm content to be in agreement with that company on ' Pay to Play' even if you and I aren't.
    Unless Gov. Paterson is running around telling Caroline and anyone else in New York that they have to raise money for his campaign or give jobs/cash to his family members it's not 'Pay to Play.' Because 'Pay to Play' is usually reserved when money changes hands, particularly in campaign contributions.

Screw seasoned deserving politicians like Carolyn Maloney, who has a history of representing the people of NY, is rated A on middle class issues, voting against war funding, voting against FISA, fighting for reproductive rights, who authored and enacted what was called "the most important anti-rape legislation ever considered by Congress" by the Rape Abuse and Incest National Network, took on credit card companies, serves on the Committee on Financial Services, the Committee on Oversight and Government Reform, and the Joint Economic Committee, and was previously the Chair of the Democratic Task Force on Homeland Security.
    This is the perfect example of public servant. Voting against war funding & FISA proves that she can take a stand on an issue. There are many who didn't vote against FISA even when they should have. Maloney is someone who could do the job without question.

Well here our opinions diverge- suprise suprise, because I see it as quite similar. 'You can have the Senate seat if I get something in return'. But so do Joe Klein , Glenn Greenwald (one of the few journalists left that I truly respect and admire), Chris Bowers, Alison Kilkenny........I'm content to be in agreement with that company on ' Pay to Play' even if you and I aren't.
    I agree, it is quite similar. There may not be an exchange for money, like Blago, but there are exchanges going on behind the scenes none the less. Which means that the decision isn't be made on merit.

I came across this clip today. Towards the end he gives an example of the quid pro quo going on for Caroline Kennedy.
    [youtube]MqC2ioatDFs[/youtube]

maybe i'm a cynic but i just expect politics to be about influence and favours. and if you get someone smart and qualified in the process, consider it a bonus.
    politics are politics...
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

^^Agreed, Sputnik. That's exactly what politics is usually about, which is why all of this talk about Caroline and favors makes no sense. It's not a new thing.

It was the same thing when Hillary came to New York. I mean, when most first couples leave the White House they head back to their home state. The Clintons decide to head to N.Y. instead, and Hillary runs for the Senate five minutes later.

And many people in the N.Y. Democratic leadership pushed for Hillary to run as Senator. Why? She had no political experience to justify a Senate run. The reason was because having a Senator who just so happens to be a former First Lady, married to a popular former President, would add clout to the N.Y. Democrats and would benefit some high-profile business leaders.

And it's the same thing with Caroline. Having the daughter of a popular former President, who has other high-profile family members in politics, will give the N.Y. Dems added clout and will benefit some high-profile business leaders.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

lol lynnie, you'll learn to love her im sure and how is lil caroline??????

Elite Member

Default re

If she wants to go into politics, she should do it the right way and run for a lower level office and work her way up. Hey, she's practically guaranteed to be elected.

That Carolyn Maloney person sounds great, by the way. And if Caroline Kennedy wants to use her considerable and not particularly well-earned clout, maybe she should use it to push to have someone like Maloney appointed!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information