Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 105

Thread: Caroline Kennedy reportedly interested in taking over Hillary Clinton's Senate seat

  1. #16
    Elite Member cupcake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Tampa Bay florida
    Posts
    4,804

    Default

    I just heard on cnn that Fran Dresher is interested in Hillarys seat, This has to be a joke?
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

  2. #17
    Elite Member NicoleWasHere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    kcmo
    Posts
    14,473

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cupcake View Post
    I just heard on cnn that Fran Dresher is interested in Hillarys seat, This has to be a joke?

    Nope, no joke. I just posted an article about it.

  3. #18
    Elite Member Brookie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    In the "D"
    Posts
    22,328

    Default

    Fran Dresher? Ew ew ew ew ew.

  4. #19
    Elite Member B.C.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Motor City
    Posts
    2,275

    Default

    Tough choice so far, Fran Drescher or Carolyn Kennedy......

  5. #20
    Elite Member witchcurlgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Acerbia
    Posts
    33,708

    Default

    A Senate Seat Is Not a Kennedy Heirloom

    By Froma Harrop


    Have New York Democrats lost all self-respect? Their excited talk of whether Caroline Kennedy is "interested" in Hillary Clinton's Senate seat makes you wonder. The late John F. Kennedy's daughter has made at least one feeler phone call to New York Gov. David Paterson. And Uncle Teddy, the Massachusetts senator, is busy pulling the levers to slip her in. The seat will be vacant upon Clinton's confirmation as secretary of state.

    This unsavory spectacle has been upstaged by the wild drama in Illinois, where Gov. Rod Blagojevich is being accused of trying to sell Barack Obama's Senate seat. The doings in New York are not blatant corruption, but they are corrosive to our democratic ideals. Lest anyone forget the point of the American Revolution, our representatives are not chosen by hereditary succession, which, to quote Thomas Paine, "is an insult and imposition on posterity."

    Of course, Caroline can ask for whatever she wants. The astounding part is that the idea of such a request hasn't been laughed out of the news pages.

    New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg, against all evidence, touts Caroline as "a very experienced woman." Her government service starts and ends at raising private money for the New York City schools. While a worthy endeavor, it's a socialite's job.

    For nearly four decades after her father's assassination, Caroline commendably resisted the call to become a Democratic Party ornament. Then at the 2000 Democratic convention, she stepped on the stage to the tune of "Camelot" and, with no little presumption, thanked the American people for "sustaining us through the good times, and the difficult ones, and for helping us dream my father's dream." Then she introduced "Uncle Teddy."

    Women's groups have been eager to see Clinton replaced by another female. The Feminist Majority and the National Organization for Women had already endorsed Carolyn Maloney, a congresswoman who has represented parts of Manhattan and Queens for 15 years.

    But if Caroline Kennedy wants the job, all bets are off, according to Feminist Majority President Eleanor Smeal. "You're talking to someone who thinks Ted Kennedy is the most effective senator there," Smeal actually told The New York Times.

    Here you have it. Without a second thought, feminists talk of throwing a seasoned, self-made professional overboard to make room for a Kennedy princess.

    Uncle Ted has been reminding Democrats that Caroline would be backed by -- as the Times straightforwardly put it -- "the Kennedy family's extensive fundraising network." That's nice, but this is New York state, where electing a Democrat requires no miracle.

    Set aside whether any seat should be gender-specific. It certainly shouldn't be genealogy-specific. But that's one of Caroline's selling points, at least from the Kennedy perspective. The seat was held for three years by her uncle Robert F. Kennedy, who was killed in 1968. For this reason, RFK's son Robert F. Kennedy Jr. was also eying the seat for himself. (Perhaps he could be made ambassador to France, instead.)

    Hey, what about the Moynihans? Democrat Daniel Patrick Moynihan occupied that Senate chair for over 20 years. No Moynihan has yet come forward to claim it as a family possession to be handed down unto the generations.

    Are we really having this conversation?

    Paterson says he hasn't decided whom he will choose, though he notes that Caroline is "thinking about" the Senate position. According to the Times, "Some influential Democrats have privately suggested that given the buzz set off by Ms. Kennedy's emergence, the governor would have little choice but to appoint her if she decided she truly wanted the job."

    Actually, he does have a choice.

    Can New York Democrats summon up some dignity? We shall see.

    RealClearPolitics - Articles - A Senate Seat Is Not a Kennedy Heirloom

    I'll be attending a 'thank you' brunch given by disgraced former NY Congressman Vito Fosella on Sunday. I'll be listening closely for the buzz on this. Carolyn Maloney is a really good choice, with 15 years experience in Congress...but you say 'Kennedy' and people go wild.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone


    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.


    If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

  6. #21
    Elite Member Fluffy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    5,600

    Default

    Although I like Caroline Kennedy, I don't think she should get the seat. There's plenty of people who have served the people of New York in Congress and the state legislature for years. One of them should get it. I know Caroline is a lawyer, but she doesn't have any experience in public office. Yet.

  7. #22
    Elite Member witchcurlgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Acerbia
    Posts
    33,708

    Default

    She announced earlier today that she wants the seat.

    The dems should be embarrassed if she gets it. This woman is no more qualified for this than Palin was for VP, she just has a more famous name..........Don't be hypocrites.

    She's a lawyer by education, but she doesn't practice law, has absolutely NO POLITICAL/LEGISLATIVE experience, yes, she has written books- but with a Co-Author (and if her idea of a Co-Author is the same as her dad's it means the Co-Author wrote the whole thing)
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone


    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.


    If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

  8. #23
    Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    you already know.
    Posts
    44,442

    Default

    ^ isn't that the same for all senators though

  9. #24
    Bronze Member Sunshine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    163

    Default

    "If they were Camelot, then Mordred had a point"

    I do not doubt her intelligence. i just wish that people would earn their spots. If her last name was not Kennedy then she would not even be up for the spot.

  10. #25
    Elite Member sputnik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    fellow traveller
    Posts
    52,104

    Default

    i think she's a great choice. i think it's dumb to dismiss her just because she's a kennedy. and please, she is nothing like sarah palin. come on! to even mention that is laughable.
    she's smart, academic, has lived and breathed politics since she was born whether she was in them directly or not. and the fact is, someone is going to be appointed for 2 years before there is an election so it's not like anyone else they choose is going to be any more 'legitimate' than her.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

  11. #26
    Elite Member Fluffy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    5,600

    Default

    I think if Caroline wants to be serious about going into politics, then she needs to start out on her own rather than getting appointed because she's famous.

  12. #27
    Elite Member witchcurlgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Acerbia
    Posts
    33,708

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    and please, she is nothing like sarah palin. come on! to even mention that is laughable.
    I find it laughable that anyone could see it differently. She is as unqualified for the position of Senator as Palin was for the position of VP.

    What exactly qualifies Kennedy for the job? A law degree earned over 20 years ago that was never used? The co-authorship of two Civics books?

    There are politicians here in NY that have earned the right to represent us in the Senate. She has not.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    I think if Caroline wants to be serious about going into politics, then she needs to start out on her own rather than getting appointed because she's famous.
    I agree. Congress would be great. She could step up and earn her place representing the people of NY. Even her father started out in Congress.

    US Senators are at the top of the totem pole politically. It's like hiring a college grad as senior management. She's not ready.

    She has as much legislative experience as Chelsea Clinton- none-who's quite bright and studied at Oxford. Why not her then?

    I also find it funny that all my life she's called herself Caroline Kennedy Schlossberg- and the Scholssberg was always there- but now that the political feelers are out there Schlossberg is gone from all the stories.
    Last edited by witchcurlgirl; December 16th, 2008 at 12:18 AM.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone


    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.


    If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

  13. #28
    Elite Member kingcap72's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    10 miles from Pootie Tang
    Posts
    21,909

    Default

    Considering that Hillary got the Senate seat after being First Lady for 8 years, why should anybody have an issue with the daughter of a President getting the seat?

    I think the reason some people have an issue with Caroline getting Hillary's seat is because she endorsed Obama over Hillary in the primaries.

  14. #29
    Elite Member witchcurlgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Acerbia
    Posts
    33,708

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    Considering that Hillary got the Senate seat after being First Lady for 8 years, why should anybody have an issue with the daughter of a President getting the seat?

    I think the reason some people have an issue with Caroline getting Hillary's seat is because she endorsed Obama over Hillary in the primaries.
    Who she endorsed hasn't entered into my thoughts on this subject, but maybe some people do feel that way.

    The difference with Hillary is she was elected, it wasn't an appointment. She also had practiced law for years, becoming the first woman partner in her firm. She did bring a bit more to the table.

    But hey, like I said above.....if being the daughter is all it takes, then why not Chelsea Clinton? They both have equal education and no experience.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone


    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.


    If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

  15. #30
    Elite Member kingcap72's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    10 miles from Pootie Tang
    Posts
    21,909

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    Hillary was elected, it wasn't an appointment. She also had practiced law, becoming the first woman partner in her firm. She did bring a bit more to the table.

    But hey, like I said above.....if being the daughter is all it takes, then why not Chelsea Clinton? Thery both have equal education and no experience.
    What does being a lawyer have to do with being a Senator?

    And, yeah, Hillary was elected. But the point is, she served as First Lady for 8 years and then ran for the Senate five minutes after she moved to New York. And had it not been for her famous last name she wouldn't have been elected. So to say Caroline's being handed something because of her famous last name is moot considering that Hillary pretty much got in for the same reason.

    Now that's not to say that Caroline is the perfect choice, but considering that Hillary had never served a day in public office either when she became Senator it derails that argument against Caroline.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Hillary Clinton says she's not interested in new position
    By kingcap72 in forum U.S. Politics and Issues
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: October 15th, 2008, 05:43 PM
  2. What's up Hillary Clinton's sleeve?
    By Incognito in forum U.S. Politics and Issues
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: June 8th, 2008, 01:36 PM
  3. Hillary Clinton's Civil War pt.2
    By *DIVA! in forum U.S. Politics and Issues
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: March 19th, 2008, 09:16 AM
  4. Caroline Kennedy "A President like my father!"
    By *DIVA! in forum U.S. Politics and Issues
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: February 7th, 2008, 02:06 PM
  5. Replies: 17
    Last Post: November 23rd, 2007, 10:10 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •