Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Canada finally figures out America doesn't care

Hit By Ban Bus!

I know... sometimes it moves so fast there's no time lol.

You know, if people don't like to read so much... listening is a very good way to get informed. I would start with progressive radio, which is often labeled leftie but is actually the most critical thinking forum there is out there.

One time I happened upon a rightie station and I just listened for a while. If one is not informed as to statistics and facts, one can get so sucked in to their silky rhetoric. If you listen carefully, the bottom line agenda is always what's good for business and the people who have money and power. But you have to LISTEN. Meaning, you have to spend time, and you have to learn to discern true agendas.

It's not that difficult. It's actually quite interesting. Avoid flamers and haters who - while good for emoting and commiserating - are not as good as the more scholarly type. (Thom Hartmann, and even Ed Schultz, though he's not good on all issues and cannot be expected to be.) Stephanie Miller is good too, and Randi Rhodes is very good for keeping track of government corruption and lies, esp about the military. If you can't listen to the shows while they're being broadcast on your local radio station, the internet has them live, archived and podcasted. There are many other good people doing good work, but those are a few.
    Last edited by Mira; April 8th, 2007 at 10:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mira View Post
    Sorry Gator, I meant those carots for JamieElizabeth's post! Wait-did Jamie delete a post?
    I did. I was trying to add something else. Even though other countries hate our guts, it still comes down to viewing the world from an american eye.

I agree that the international community could function without us, but undoubtabley there woud still be the nastiness of brute force. I don't think any country or culture could change this fact.

If China becomes the next superpower, we'll learn all about " brute force." They do not play. Has anyone read "Life and Death in Shanghai" by Nien Cheng? That book certainly convinced me that the Chinese government does not tolerate dissent of any kind. The book takes place during the Cultural Revolution of the 60s, in Chairman Mao's heyday. Attitudes may have changed since then, but somehow I doubt it.

I think America is on the downslide. Even if we get a decent president in '08, I'm not sure if he or sure will be able to fully repair the damage inflicted by the Bush junta.

Hit By Ban Bus! UndercoverGator's Avatar

I'd forgotten that the Chinese government rolled tanks over living breathing people during the Tiaminen Square uprisings. Their own citizendry. If they treat their own citizens like that what do you think they would do to others not their citizens?

The list of human rights and environmental abuses in China is horrifying. The idea that opening it up to the world would bring more democracy just hasn't happened. Mass executions, slave labour, censorship, imprisonment, murder, the list goes on....

Hit By Ban Bus!

And let's not forget that there are actually no sides within the Global Power Elite. If people for one second think that the Clintons, etc. are not part of the power elite and actually are beholden to - and even complicit with - their agenda, then they have another thought coming. Nobody gets anywhere in politics without having to toe the line for the global power elite.

You know, if people don't like to read so much... listening is a very good way to get informed. I would start with progressive radio, which is often labeled leftie but is actually the most critical thinking forum there is out there.

One time I happened upon a rightie station and I just listened for a while. If one is not informed as to statistics and facts, one can get so sucked in to their silky rhetoric. If you listen carefully, the bottom line agenda is always what's good for business and the people who have money and power. But you have to LISTEN. Meaning, you have to spend time, and you have to learn to discern true agendas.

It's not that difficult. It's actually quite interesting. Avoid flamers and haters who - while good for emoting and commiserating - are not as good as the more scholarly type. (Thom Hartmann, and even Ed Schultz, though he's not good on all issues and cannot be expected to be.) Stephanie Miller is good too, and Randi Rhodes is very good for keeping track of government corruption and lies, esp about the military. If you can't listen to the shows while they're being broadcast on your local radio station, the internet has them live, archived and podcasted. There are many other good people doing good work, but those are a few.
    Thanks Mira. You're sweet!
    Understanding your environment isn't always easy, and neither is being happy, mainly because of some of this you've explained above.

That is why I enjoy this board so much! I enjoy Grimm's posts. He gets to the point. I like Gator because she's a strong historical buff, though, she has little patience for my silly reasoning.

Thanks Mira. You're sweet!
    Understanding your environment isn't always easy, mainly because of some of this confusion you've explained above.

That is why I enjoy this board so much! I enjoy Grimm's posts. He gets to the point. I like Gator because she's a strong historical buff, though, she has little patience for my silly reasoning.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information