Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Canada finally figures out America doesn't care

^^Interesting theory, and I think you're right. What goes up, must come down.

I sound like an old fogey but what the hell -- I really am glad that I came of age in a time where kids were still allowed to be kids, where we didn't worry so much about everything (although perhaps we should have re the environment), we had optimism for the future, money didn't inform everybody's decisions and there were still lots of idealists left -- it wasn't perfect, but it seemed a healthier world over all. Or maybe that's just the nostalgia talking.

Hit By Ban Bus! UndercoverGator's Avatar

Yes, look at some of the former 'great' empires, like Russia, Great Britain, ancient Italy and Greece, etc and you will see what is starting to happen here, a crumbling of standards followed by a sinking down to a lower level of world importance and control. The question is which nation will inherit the crown of Rome?

It will likely be China.

Quote Originally Posted by UndercoverGator View Post
    a crumbling of standards followed by a sinking down to a lower level of world importance and control.
    Sinking down would probably be best for international relations? As far as crumbling standards that we're left with, that's pretty scary.

Did I say that it would be best for international relations? No I did not. You are assuming a great deal.

All I commented on is that it is a cycle that we're caught in. It's arrogant to assume this nation will always be the greatest one on the planet. I would like to think that we are more moral and high minded but alas the current administration has proven that to be quite false.

Elite Member

I have no qualms with the US or its people - I've always had positives experiences from my visits - but I have to admit I wouldn't be at all disappointed to be dissociated with the US in any way...at least while Bush is still in office.

The American Government (and maybe some Americans themselves) seems to have this very false impression that we Canadians desparately want to be tied to our neighbors to the South - that we'd be nothing without them - but I think if someone bothered to ask most up here, that wouldn't be the case. While Bush is in office especially, I'm always happy to make the distinction that I'm from that part of North America not run by Bush.
    Last edited by Elisa; April 7th, 2007 at 05:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Elisa View Post
    The American Government (and maybe some Americans themselves) seems to have this very false impression that we desparately want to be tied to our neighbors to the South - that we'd be nothing without them - but I think if someone bothered to ask most up here, that wouldn't be the case. While Bush is in office especially, I'm always happy to make the distinction that I'm from that part of North America not run by Bush.
    I think what you are explaining is that USA being the first country to break free from a Monarch.

So, we've always thought of ourselves as #1. Well, guess what... anyone can be an American because it isn't tied to any particular race. So, I wouldn't be at all bothered if other types of people move in on us. It's probably why China will be in a much better place, since they'll build their country differently and set precendent.

Hit By Ban Bus!

WTF? I just don't know where to begin with this.

Our economy is going to collapse and we will be at the mercy of another superpower probably while global warming has gotten much worse and we may be in the middle of a dust bowl etc. etc. etc. and you're GLAD that China is going to be the superpower and THEY'RE somehow going to do it right?

Not exactly, but I was trying to make my point, clearly. It doesn't necessarilly mean we get "wiped out", though if you look at other civilizations dating back to ancient times its always been a reoccuring theme for a culture to wipe out another and "re-establish"(hopefully for the better).
    It's sad, but true/

Hit By Ban Bus!

There is no doubt in my mind that China has not one ounce of altruism or philanthropy in their consciousness. The world over thinks WE'RE ruthless?! They haven't seen anything yet.

Wait till the Chinese start trying to engulf some of their neighbors and see what happens. Bet they show as much mercy as the japanese did to the chinese in the 30s.

Hit By Ban Bus!

^Explain please?

IIRC when the Japanese tried to attack parts of China they were extremely brutal, torturing people, committing acts of mass murder, etc. In other words not too much differently than any other regime trying to steal someone else's land or oil or other valuable asset.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Sorry Gator, I meant those carots for JamieElizabeth's post! Wait-did Jamie delete a post?

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

Quote next time so it won't get confusing

Japan has a very shameful past IMHO, I'd like to think the world has become more civilized but that's not the reality is it.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information