Page 5 of 246 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 3689
Like Tree9988Likes

Thread: Can we talk about this Trump thing?

  1. #61
    czb
    czb is offline
    Elite Member czb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    left coast
    Posts
    15,809

    Default

    ^^^ there was probably on 250.00 left on the mortgage. or trump gave the guy some of those tacky button down shirts he was marketing from the first apprentice.

    yes, i am *that* cynical.
    sluce and Nevan like this.

  2. #62
    Elite Member kasippu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    4,457

    Default

    I have been watching a couple of youtubes on Trump. WOW
    And then his wife. She sounds super intelligent. Did you know is a business woman, selling knock -offs of her jewellery. She looooves watches,
    "When you have a child, you go in the school, you could wear a beautiful watch. Then go in the office, you wear a watch and when you go to the cocktail party, you wear a beautiful watch as well'
    Funny that he is so against immigration and here she is, his gold digging immigrated Trophy wife
    https://youtu.be/_EdmMpN1Qoc
    BelledeJour likes this.

  3. #63
    Elite Member Str8_uncut-jock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Horse Country
    Posts
    1,754

    Default

    The thing is, Trump is leading every single republican poll out there. This should tell all of us exactly what republicans believe...they can't hide from it anymore. They can't say they are the party of religion when they are supporting this pathetic animal of a man. He is not a religious person. I'm not even sure he would identify as a Christian, yet, all we have heard for the last 10-20 years is how the republican party is the party of moral superiority. They are the party defending our religious freedom. Well, folks, that was all a ruse to cover the real issues...they are a hate filled group of people who don't give a shit about anyone else. They are anti-woman, anti-immigrant, anti-minority, anti-poor...and they can say whatever they want in public but the polls don't lie. Trump says that he wants to make America great again...well, he can start by shooting himself in the face. I know this may be offensive to some people who identify as Republican...and well, it should be. If you support this jerk, his policies, his stance on just about any issue, then you are part of the problem whether you want to believe it or not. This guy is the first honest representation of what republicans believe that we have ever seen...he isn't hiding behind religion, he isn't hiding behind any moral cloak...he is saying loud and proud that he is better than us, he is smarter than us, he is richer than us, and he will be damned before he lets some low lifers like us tell him what to do. Refreshing isn't it?

  4. #64
    Elite Member gas_chick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    43,809

    Default

    What blows my mind is the poor that think the Repubs give a shit about them and they believe it because they think this is the moral party. There is no moral party.
    louiswinthorpe111 likes this.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

  5. #65
    Elite Member Str8_uncut-jock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Horse Country
    Posts
    1,754

    Default

    Well, crap, now I think I may be a thread killer. I'm going to go to that thread and see if I made the list.

  6. #66
    A*O
    A*O is offline
    Friend of Gossip Rocks! A*O's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Being Paula
    Posts
    31,550

    Default

    A lot of what you say is true Str8, but I suspect Trump's obvious popularity is precisely because he articulates "unsayable" things on contentious issues that people secretly care about too but can't say for fear of being branded racist, sexist, or all the other "ists" we have to tiptoe around now. America is still a deeply conservative (small "c") society and I think much of those people are very drawn to someone who they feel they can rely on to lead by moral conviction however misguided rather than by pandering to what they see as inherently weak liberal consensus politics. The outside world seems a very unstable, dangerous place to them and they feel that the traditional American values they cling to as a security blanket are being eroded before their eyes, so they turn to a charismatic "leader" for reassurance. They've had enough.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

  7. #67
    Elite Member MohandasKGanja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Wherever my kids are
    Posts
    30,801

    Default

    I love how one of his campaign pledges was that he wouldn't participate in any bicycle races. Thank goodness some politician finally showed some backbone on that issue.
    Clubber Lang and SHELLEE like this.

  8. #68
    Elite Member greysfang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Burning Down Your Windmill
    Posts
    55,144

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    A lot of what you say is true Str8, but I suspect Trump's obvious popularity is precisely because he articulates "unsayable" things on contentious issues that people secretly care about too but can't say for fear of being branded racist, sexist, or all the other "ists" we have to tiptoe around now. America is still a deeply conservative (small "c") society and I think much of those people are very drawn to someone who they feel they can rely on to lead by moral conviction however misguided rather than by pandering to what they see as inherently weak liberal consensus politics. The outside world seems a very unstable, dangerous place to them and they feel that the traditional American values they cling to as a security blanket are being eroded before their eyes, so they turn to a charismatic "leader" for reassurance. They've had enough.
    No we really aren't that conservative anymore. The Gen Xers and Millenials are now flexing their political muscles in elections and the baby boomers are dying off. I have doubts that the repubs can take the White House again until the core of the party moves more central than right.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

    http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

  9. #69
    A*O
    A*O is offline
    Friend of Gossip Rocks! A*O's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Being Paula
    Posts
    31,550

    Default

    Oh I agree, don't get me wrong. I'm just giving an outsiders perspective. The problem seems to be that without any obvious centre/right, sane, capable, charismatic GOP candidate, jokers like Trump can grab people's attention. I don't suppose he had any idea how much traction his campaign would gain in the apparent absence of any real competition.

    From a New Hampshire Poll:

    1) Donald Trump 35%;
    2) John Kasich 11%;
    3) Carly Fiorina 10%;
    4) Jeb Bush 7%; Scott Walker 7%

    On the Democrat side:

    1) Bernie Sanders 42%;
    2) Hillary Clinton 35%;
    3) Jim Webb 6%;
    4) Martin O'Malley 4%

    So Hillary can't poll more in what's essentially a two-man race with Sanders than Trump gets in a 17-man field. As for the idea that it's all just "angry men", it doesn't look that way when you get into the weeds of Trump's numbers:

    He leads with Tea Party voters (44%), men (39%), independents (36%), conservatives (36%), voters who are most concerned about electability (35%), both younger voters and seniors (at 34% with each), evangelicals (32%), women (30%), and moderates (29%).
    Last edited by A*O; August 26th, 2015 at 03:46 PM.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

  10. #70
    Elite Member Kathie_Moffett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    just another freak in the freak kingdom
    Posts
    6,957

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kasippu View Post
    I have been watching a couple of youtubes on Trump. WOW
    And then his wife. She sounds super intelligent. Did you know is a business woman, selling knock -offs of her jewellery. She looooves watches,


    Funny that he is so against immigration and here she is, his gold digging immigrated Trophy wife
    https://youtu.be/_EdmMpN1Qoc
    I don't think it's fair to heap abuse on his wife. We don't even know much about her. I do know that she made it herself in modeling, didn't even meet Trump until she was 28 and successful. Didn't marry him for many years, either. And there's a pre-nup of course. She was born in a small village in Slovenia and by the time she met Trump, she was already living in NYC and working for major fashion houses, as she'd done in Paris and Milan. She had her first contract at 16. She sounds like a hard worker.

    Quote Originally Posted by Str8_uncut-jock View Post
    The thing is, Trump is leading every single republican poll out there. This should tell all of us exactly what republicans believe...they can't hide from it anymore. They can't say they are the party of religion when they are supporting this pathetic animal of a man. He is not a religious person. I'm not even sure he would identify as a Christian, yet, all we have heard for the last 10-20 years is how the republican party is the party of moral superiority. They are the party defending our religious freedom. Well, folks, that was all a ruse to cover the real issues...they are a hate filled group of people who don't give a shit about anyone else. They are anti-woman, anti-immigrant, anti-minority, anti-poor...and they can say whatever they want in public but the polls don't lie. Trump says that he wants to make America great again...well, he can start by shooting himself in the face. I know this may be offensive to some people who identify as Republican...and well, it should be. If you support this jerk, his policies, his stance on just about any issue, then you are part of the problem whether you want to believe it or not. This guy is the first honest representation of what republicans believe that we have ever seen...he isn't hiding behind religion, he isn't hiding behind any moral cloak...he is saying loud and proud that he is better than us, he is smarter than us, he is richer than us, and he will be damned before he lets some low lifers like us tell him what to do. Refreshing isn't it?
    I've NEVER heard that the Republican party claims to be protecting our religious freedom. I mean--lol?? Maybe you meant something else. I think of them as into persecuting everyone for their religion, 'cept Xstians of course.

    However, if you replace "Republican" with "fucking Tea Party idiot" I would agree with most of what you say. Both parties have been in flux for years. There are plenty of atheist, feminist, non-racist Republicans; the media just won't admit it because for some reason they enjoy fostering blind hatred. But it's true; I even know a few.

    Mind you, I don't know what the fuck they're doing in that party, since it's been headed to hell for decades. I can't be arsed to ask. I'd guess--clueless, too lazy to change, family tradition, whatever. My feminist, atheist husband quit them many years ago and votes independent. Our whole political system is shit, imo. I don't want to say that normal, decent Repubs need to speak up more, though, because that's just as useful as demanding "why don't moderate Islamics speak up more??" every time there's a terrorist incident. The party just needs to splinter and get it over with.

    BTW, I haven't seen it mentioned in this thread yet...forgive me if I missed it...have we all forgotten that Trump was a stone liberal until about three years ago? Yep. He was. For decades.

    Just makes it all that much more bizarre. Are we watching a colossal reality show stunt here?

    Quote Originally Posted by gas_chick View Post
    What blows my mind is the poor that think the Repubs give a shit about them and they believe it because they think this is the moral party. There is no moral party.
    This.

    Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    A lot of what you say is true Str8, but I suspect Trump's obvious popularity is precisely because he articulates "unsayable" things on contentious issues that people secretly care about too but can't say for fear of being branded racist, sexist, or all the other "ists" we have to tiptoe around now. America is still a deeply conservative (small "c") society and I think much of those people are very drawn to someone who they feel they can rely on to lead by moral conviction however misguided rather than by pandering to what they see as inherently weak liberal consensus politics. The outside world seems a very unstable, dangerous place to them and they feel that the traditional American values they cling to as a security blanket are being eroded before their eyes, so they turn to a charismatic "leader" for reassurance. They've had enough.
    THIS. Basically what I see people saying all over--article comments, blogs, forums, FB friends and friends-of-friends, memes, what-have-you. I also know from my research that white supremacists luuuurve Trump, but uh, I'm not sure they're making a winning bet there.

    I went back and watched a few old interviews with Trump on YouTube the other night. Letterman and a couple of others. Oddly, his general views are quite consistent, but he couched them in Democratic terms back then. And his persona was extremely different, almost humble though certainly self-assured. He was humorous, soft-spoken, very direct in that New York way but not a blowhard or a bully. Is Trump a casualty of reality TV? It certainly seems to have poisoned his personality and his way of interacting with others, publicly anyway. It's like he's become a caricature of his old self.
    Clubber Lang likes this.
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

  11. #71
    A*O
    A*O is offline
    Friend of Gossip Rocks! A*O's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Being Paula
    Posts
    31,550

    Default

    I just had a fascinating convo with a friend in Canada and she asked if we are getting news reports about Trump in Australia (she's still not convinced we have electric lights and indoor plumbing). She was ranting about Trump and how he disgracefully ejected an innocent Mexican migrant from his press conference. I asked her if she saw the whole incident, starting when the guy - known troublemaker Joe Rubio(?) - stood up and interrupted another journo's question and became very belligerent and disruptive when Trump told him to wait for his turn. When he didn't shut up he was escorted out. My friend wasn't aware of that part because the news report she saw had been selectively edited to show Trump in a bad light.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

  12. #72
    Elite Member Moongirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Cal-i-for-nigh-ay!
    Posts
    9,105

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    I just had a fascinating convo with a friend in Canada and she asked if we are getting news reports about Trump in Australia (she's still not convinced we have electric lights and indoor plumbing). She was ranting about Trump and how he disgracefully ejected an innocent Mexican migrant from his press conference. I asked her if she saw the whole incident, starting when the guy - known troublemaker Joe Rubio(?) - stood up and interrupted another journo's question and became very belligerent and disruptive when Trump told him to wait for his turn. When he didn't shut up he was escorted out. My friend wasn't aware of that part because the news report she saw had been selectively edited to show Trump in a bad light.
    It was actually a well respected journalist by the name of Jorge Ramos, who works for Univision and Fusion:



    I agree he shouldn't have interrupted the other reporter, but Donald Trump was also wrong in the way he reacted...
    sluce and czb like this.

  13. #73
    A*O
    A*O is offline
    Friend of Gossip Rocks! A*O's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Being Paula
    Posts
    31,550

    Default

    Thanks. I've never heard of him so apologies. But he was being deliberately provocative and rude and I thought Trump dealt with it very effectively. Journos with an agenda still need to show some common courtesy even if they detest the person they're there to question.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

  14. #74
    Elite Member sluce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Top Secret Spy for Leann Rimes
    Posts
    37,381

    Default

    So it's effective to be a bully and tell someone to go back to Univision, a network he is currently fighting in court. No, no bias at all.
    gas_chick and C_is_for_Cookie like this.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

  15. #75
    Elite Member kasippu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    4,457

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kathie_Moffett View Post
    I don't think it's fair to heap abuse on his wife. We don't even know much about her. I do know that she made it herself in modeling, didn't even meet Trump until she was 28 and successful. Didn't marry him for many years, either. And there's a pre-nup of course. She was born in a small village in Slovenia and by the time she met Trump, she was already living in NYC and working for major fashion houses, as she'd done in Paris and Milan. She had her first contract at 16. She sounds like a hard worker.

    I do not know her history but her husband is in the running for US president, she is the migrant wife of a guy who's against immigration, lived 20 years in US and her English is atrocious (not talking about the accent here) how is that for a first lady?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 8
    Last Post: April 6th, 2010, 02:41 PM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last Post: April 28th, 2009, 10:56 PM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last Post: January 24th, 2007, 02:38 PM
  4. Replies: 14
    Last Post: October 27th, 2006, 08:17 PM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last Post: October 25th, 2005, 09:18 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •