Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: For Californians: Prop. 8 winning

It doesn't surprise me that blacks voted for this overwhelmingly. There is a HUGE homophobic problem among some blacks, and some of them aren't even religious. I cannot understand how one minority can oppress another.

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Quote Originally Posted by DeadDwarf View Post
    ^ I think it's unconstitutional as well and yes, the Supreme Court needs to bring that shit down ASAP! And then we need to go bitchslap every fucking bigot that voted to ban gay marriage.

I am still pissed! I am shocked. I mean even my husband's co-worker, who comes from an ultra conservative background regarding gays, voted against Prop 8. He and my husband were carpooling all week and kept honking at the people on the streets holding "equality for gays" signs. His co-worker was cheering them and waving out of the window. My husband was surprised by it because his co-worker is not outspoken about gay rights. And when he asked him about it, he said it didn't seem right to not give them the same rights.

So if people like this guy voted against the ban, who the hell were voting for it?! Do we have fundies hiding amongst us?
    Some religious groups are very politically active - the Mormons especially. When I was active, I was specifically asked to support and vote for measures like this. Many many of the sheep do - need to keep that temple recommend for when Jesus comes back and the Mormons rule the world.

Too many people don't vote - although the turnout this time was excellent. I agree this does not belong at a state level, it will not go away either.

And for what it's worth, my kids who are well aware of what Prop 8 is about, saw all the people with their yes on 8 signs on Halloween night. Kind of at once we rolled down out windows as we went through the intersection and all yelled NOOOOOO at the same time. I love my kids.
    Don't worry about what other people think. They don't do it very often.

blacks in california have serious historical amnesia
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinola View Post
    This is like war on gay people.
    Yup.

I couldn't be more appalled - and frightened - by this.

Obama, you gots some work to do.
    "I ransacked his drawers when he left me by myself at his place for the first time. That's how we did it in the good old days. Tells me all I need to know about him. He pretends he didn't notice. That's how good relationships start." - Chilly Willy

The black and latino communities do have a high disdain for homophobia. That is changing, albeit slowly.

Also keep in mind, there are many whites who may speak liberally, but think fundie when homosexuality is involved.

When the numbers combine, issues like Prop 8 will pass.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by flipstick View Post
    How is this allowed to be voted on? Isn't this a civil rights issue? What if this is how we allowed school segregation to be handled? I'm not understanding this proposition at all.

Its unconstituional isn't it?
    It is very suprising to see a measure pass taking away an already existing right. It's is downright infuriating. How can Californians be so solidly behind Obama and at the same time approve this atrocity?

We need a couple in Cali to sue the state for unconstitutional treatment and take this to the supreme court. It will take at least 4 years for it to move to the US Supreme Court...just long enough for Obama to appoint at least 2 new members of the Court. Obama, although he personally opposed gay marriage, needs to do the right thing here and appoint members who are pro civil rights and who will follow the constitution. If California, as liberal as it is, passes something like this...the rest of the country is not far behind. God save us from ourselves.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by Str8_uncut-jock View Post
    We need a couple in Cali to sue the state for unconstitutional treatment and take this to the supreme court. It will take at least 4 years for it to move to the US Supreme Court...just long enough for Obama to appoint at least 2 new members of the Court. Obama, although he personally opposed gay marriage, needs to do the right thing here and appoint members who are pro civil rights and who will follow the constitution. If California, as liberal as it is, passes something like this...the rest of the country is not far behind. God save us from ourselves.
    Every gay person in Cali who wants to get married will have standing to sue.

Like I said before, Prop 8 is nothing but a repackaged Jim Crow law. We have to admit that there are still many places in the U.S. where laws restricting the rights of blacks/minorities could still be passed, the only difference is that in this day and age, the Supreme Court would slap it down before the ink was dry on the law. We can't just let these anti-gay laws sit. No matter which side you're on regarding gays, I can't see how you could call yourself an American and support oppression and inequality on such a massive scale.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

if obama stands in the way of it, i'll hunt him down. i dont care how nice he is.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Gays are supposedly such a threat to "traditional" family values ... take a sociology class and you'll learn that there has never been any such thing. It's just an ideal held over society's head to make people "behave" a certain way.

Truth be told, the only threat to our imaginary "traditional" family values is all these straight people who treat marriage like a joke and have been married and divorced a million times.

And if one more person uses the bible as their pathetic excuse, I swear I'll beat them silly with the damn thing. What the hell do you want to bet that half of these idiots have never even read the bible?

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by aabbcc View Post
    Gays are supposedly such a threat to "traditional" family values ... take a sociology class and you'll learn that there has never been any such thing. It's just an ideal held over society's head to make people "behave" a certain way.

Truth be told, the only threat to our imaginary "traditional" family values is all these straight people who treat marriage like a joke and have been married and divorced a million times.

And if one more person uses the bible as their pathetic excuse, I swear I'll beat them silly with the damn thing. What the hell do you want to bet that half of these idiots have never even read the bible?
    The blank unholy irony of the whole thing is gay people were already getting married in California and not one single hetero marriage was threatened because of it. It's just fucking stupidity.

Damn the ignorance, stupidity, hysteria....and the Mormons for funding it.

Utah: The Hate State.
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SSDiva View Post
    It doesn't surprise me that blacks voted for this overwhelmingly. There is a HUGE homophobic problem among some blacks, and some of them aren't even religious. I cannot understand how one minority can oppress another.
    right, Blacks and Hispanics and other minorities are actually quite conservative in that way. its a bummer
    Prop 8: Same-Sex Marriage Ban
    Yes: 52%

No: 48%

reporting 95% of the votes
    as of now ^

Quote Originally Posted by Str8_uncut-jock View Post
    We need a couple in Cali to sue the state for unconstitutional treatment and take this to the supreme court. .
    OH AND TRUST ME THEY WILL! IN DROVES! YOU CAN BET UR SWEET ASS.

This question is posed to those who are gay:

Would legal unions which carried the same rights as marriage, though not referred to by that particular term, being legalized, be seen as a victory or would the unions have to be termed marriage for gays to feel as if they have received equal treatment?

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread Information