Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: California on the verge of meltdown; Governor proposes eliminating welfare.

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    ^^ I Agree.

It's why we're a representative democracy instead of a true democracy....because lots of people are too stupid to make certain decisions

I wouldn't trust the average schmuck to paint my house, never mind decide how to spend my tax dollars....

politicians are assholes, but you can get rid of them if you don't like how they do their job....how do you get rid of millions of voters?
    very true.
    direct democracy only works in small countries where there aren't a lot of social/cultural issues - like switzerland (7 million people) and even then, people have to go out and vote on retarded shit because some asshole had enough free time to go out and collect enough signatures and get the thing voted on.
    and it leads to people having to vote on things that they don't understand. i remember a while ago all my swiss friends bitching about some initiative they had to vote on that was super technical and concerned military equipment and airspace and there were all these polls done that showed that about 80% of people didn't understand what the initiative was about, and still had to vote on it.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

-- Eliminate ALL state funding for the Office of AIDS - including AIDS Drug Assistance Program (ADAP), HIV counseling and testing, HIV education and prevention, etc.
    That's just downright cruel. Is'nt CA the #1 state when it comes to HIV cases? Why is it necessary to take away all the money needed for HIV programs, their healthcare is going to be cut, why take their help as well? I fucking hate Arnold Schwarzenmonster!

i'm so embarrassed to be living in CA. this is a first, i've lived here my entire life, and never hated it until now.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

I know, I just moved here a year and a half ago but I never would have guessed it would get this bad. The prop 8 fiasco and now this. It's just so backwards and disappointing for a state known for being so liberal. And ironically, so rich.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    ^^
    cause prison isn't just about punishing, it's about rehabilitating. these people are going to come out of prison and be a part of society and if they've received some education and vocational training in prison, it increases their chances of finding a job and being regular members of society upon release, rather than recidivating.
    basically, it's in our best interest that prisoners be rehabilitated as much as possible.
    I know it's in our best interest...but then people who HAVEN'T BEEN INCARCERATED because they have OBEYED THE LAW should be afforded the same 'free' education. Once again, reward the shitheads of the world.
    I'm not quite drunk enough to really care, but is this her violation of her violation of her violation of her violation of probation or her violation of her violation of her violation of her probation????? ~MontanaMama on LL's latest arrest.

^^^^
    i can see your point of view but i guess i just view it from a different perspective, not so much in terms of reward and punishment.
    let's put it this way: would you be willing to go away to prison for years and face the lifelong stigma attached to being a former felon, just so you can get a few free classes?
    i know i wouldn't. i'd rather pay for my education myself, even if it means going into debt to do it.
    if i look at it from your perspective, any kind of rehabilitation, whether it's vocational training or college courses by correspondence, is a 'reward'. but i don't think it should be viewed that way. it's not a reward. it's a way for these people to be educated and improve their chances once they are back into society, and to do something positive and productive while they're in prison and being deprived of their liberty. you might as well make the most of their time in there, instead of just 'punishing' and setting them up to fail and recidivate once they are released.

btw, i think universities should be free or at least waaaay cheaper than they are in the US. i'm more a fan of the european model in that sense. but that's another debate altogether.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I would be more interested in rehabilitation of the incarcerated if the rest of us were afforded the same educational luxury.

It's no wonder the US is lagging behind...
    I'm not quite drunk enough to really care, but is this her violation of her violation of her violation of her violation of probation or her violation of her violation of her violation of her probation????? ~MontanaMama on LL's latest arrest.

^^^^
    no offence but i think that's a narrow and short-sighted way of viewing the problem.

eta: sorry, that last reply seems bitchy.
    what i mean is, you will benefit from that, even if it is in an indirect way. it might seem unfair that prisoners get free classes, but if in the long term that will lead to safer streets, lower crime rates and reduced recidivism, isn't that worth it? everyone benefits when the system works. it's counter-productive to get hung up on the so-called 'rewards' and free courses and not see the bigger picture.
    Last edited by sputnik; May 28th, 2009 at 12:32 PM.

^^ Somewhere in Kentucky (or matbe Kentucky state itself..) massively cut their bill for prisons by ensuring that offenders were rehabilitated (using education & support workers) and didn't reoffend (thereby cutting down on the number of inmates & court costs etc).
    They discovered in studies that the majority of small/petty offenders were due to drug addiction & by supporting this it had an amazing effect.
    Maybe CA should look at this too? (and the UK!)

Quote Originally Posted by msdeb View Post
    For my husband and i to have insurance through his work, its 275 twice a month. to add our daughter, would jack it up another 122.00. we had to discuss who should have insurance and who wouldnt.

we had to go with covering me, since i have preexisting health conditions (diabetes, breast cancer, kidney disease, etc etc). it SUCKS big time, but what can we do about it right now?

AND because my cancer may be back, i have to get an MRI, which my copay for that is 300 bucks. nevermind that specialty doc copays just went up to 50 bucks a visit. BUT my copay for Percocet is 10 bucks. lmfao, priorities
    MsDeb - I do hope that you turn out to be OK, please let me know if there is anything I can do for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    Hand to fucking mouth, that's how. ANd the whole world thinks Americans are so rich. Our salaries say we should be, our cost of living says otherwise. Oh yeah, and those figures I quoted above do not include dental or vision. Tack on another 1-2 grand per year for that, plus whatever the braces my 13yo needs are going to cost me for the next 2-4 years, and then as soon as he gets those off my 9yo will be needing them, and then after that maybe I can afford to get my Invisalign or my Lasik...
    Hey! Come to the UK to have your Lasik - its C£400 per eye!

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    the state of the parks will be heinous in a week
    No they won't because he's going to sell them off for real estate to his rich friends.

I notice that no where has he given up his own salary - nor suggested taxing people making over a certain threashold income....
    "I don't know what I am to them, maybe a penguin XD" - Tiny Pixie

I guess I will have to be narrow minded on this issue.

^^
    even if it cuts costs in the long term?

I didn't really have an opinion on prison rehabilitation until recently.

In high school, I had this complete bozo boyfriend who was a pothead. After graduation, he got mixed up with serious drugs (meth, heroin, you name it). While he was high one night, someone convinced him to break into a neighbor's house, so he did and stole some stuff, including a gun. Long story short, he was convicted on a whole host of charges. He got probation, but screwed that up and managed to commit some other crime. He wound up going to jail for several months, and when he was eventually released, he went right back to dealing drugs to support himself. And he'd eventually screw up his probation and go back to jail. This went on for years- in and out of jail- until he finally went to jail for several years.

We'd all given up on him at this point. But that last time in jail, he went to the state penetentary and actually got his electrician license. He's now been released and he's a working electrician, sober, and he even got married. Pretty dramatic turnaround, and I really credit the vocational program he did in prison. As soon as he got out, he had a marketable skill and a way to support himself.

I totally get what you are saying...I'm just bitter about the education. So many young, bright & talented people will not have the financial resources to further their education. I'm just whining because it's not a 'fair' situation...

I spoke to my friend who works at a Californian university in the financial aid dept. She said they haven't issued any tuition aid for any students this summer and have seen a decline in enrollment because of it. I guess her university is talking about renewing the tuition aid for students that already have it and denying all new students. They are worried because every single Freshman student will have to rely on loans or pay out of pocket. Her whole department is freaking out over this.

This really sucks.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread Information