Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: California mayor sends e-mail with watermelons on White House lawn

Boo hoo. Someone got offended over a watermelon. Seriously, there is more in this world to worry about.

I am sure the public apology will help her sleep a lot better at night.

I am just so tired of people getting bent out of shape over dumb shit. Save it for when something really offensive happens.

pretty sure it's up to the offended person to determine what offends them.

pretty sure watermelons and racist jokes go hand in hand

pretty sure it's a shot across obama's bow

pretty sure this moron knew what they were doing

prety sure this kind of thing should be stomped on as soon as it rears its head to discourage further incidents.

pretty sure that people can multitask and accomplish taking care of this and other things at the same time too, why the insistence that it's either or

pretty sure it's always the same people, from the same places, saying the same things on the same topics.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

pretty sure these jokes aren't going to end the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    pretty sure it's up to the offended person to determine what offends them.

pretty sure watermelons and racist jokes go hand in hand

pretty sure it's a shot across obama's bow

pretty sure this moron knew what they were doing

prety sure this kind of thing should be stomped on as soon as it rears its head to discourage further incidents.

pretty sure that people can multitask and accomplish taking care of this and other things at the same time too, why the insistence that it's either or

pretty sure it's always the same people, from the same places, saying the same things on the same topics.
    unless you're a veteran that's offended by Jane Fonda & then you should "get over it".
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

This puzzles me: why is this insulting and how did it get started anyway? As far as I know,watermelons are delicious,easy to grow and all southerners I know love them equally well -black,white or whatever. We just love them. Nothing tastes better in hot sultry weather. What irks me is,if I was black & wanted to order water melon,I might actually be self conscious about it and pass. This is unfair and intimidating to the extreme. In the south people are not so thin skinned over it-we all get them,have lengthy conversations about our preferences-red,yellow,sweetest grown where & who has the best this year. Then there is the salt-no salt discussion. I have NEVER heard anyone say"I can't have one-that is too Black" or anything near! No one stops talking suddenly if a black person walks up-they join in the conversation. I personally have witnessed on numerous occasions our office staff-black,white,hispanic AND asian arguing the merits of seedless vs. seeded at great length,and no one even hinted one race had superior knowledge. Nope. Everyone was quite sure THEY knew best. Go get your own watermelons,but leave race outta this!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1973 View Post
    unless you're a veteran that's offended by Jane Fonda & then you should "get over it".
    No, that's calld "going after the wrong target because it's easier than confronting the institution responsible for your torment"
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

* makes note: do not share watermelon with grimm*
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    This puzzles me: why is this insulting and how did it get started anyway? As far as I know,watermelons are delicious,easy to grow and all southerners I know love them equally well -black,white or whatever. We just love them. Nothing tastes better in hot sultry weather. What irks me is,if I was black & wanted to order water melon,I might actually be self conscious about it and pass. This is unfair and intimidating to the extreme. In the south people are not so thin skinned over it-we all get them,have lengthy conversations about our preferences-red,yellow,sweetest grown where & who has the best this year. Then there is the salt-no salt discussion. I have NEVER heard anyone say"I can't have one-that is too Black" or anything near! No one stops talking suddenly if a black person walks up-they join in the conversation. I personally have witnessed on numerous occasions our office staff-black,white,hispanic AND asian arguing the merits of seedless vs. seeded at great length,and no one even hinted one race had superior knowledge. Nope. Everyone was quite sure THEY knew best. Go get your own watermelons,but leave race outta this!

lol clear enough? a 2 minute search

Heeeere we go again. A mayor has no business emailing such stupidity. This wasn't a simple joke amongst friends.

We all do not live in a social vacuum.

And again, why should those who feel offended be made ashamed for how they feel?

Elite Member

No, not the end of the world, but a little honesty wouldn't hurt. Feigning ignorance in this case is just ridiculous.

Offensiveness is at least in part best judged by the target of the comment.

I don't think Pres Obama is particularly thin-skinned...

The only person this "joke" really reveals anything about is the sender. He's outing himself as an idiot.

my daddy grew watermelons and made us help with the planting, picking and selling - and of course, the eating.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post

lol clear enough? a 2 minute search
    black people eat watermelon. she didn't say it wasn't interpreted as racist, I think she was questioning more the "why is a watermelon associated with racism?". More the root of how did it become associated with racism. Because, frankly, I look at a melon and I don't think the "n" word, I think "yummy"....
    Quote Originally Posted by celeb_2006 View Post
    Heeeere we go again. A mayor has no business emailing such stupidity. This wasn't a simple joke amongst friends.

We all do not live in a social vacuum.

And again, why should those who feel offended be made ashamed for how they feel?
    watermelons should never be grown again & neither should cotton. Fried chicken should be outlawed. If one of my black friends was over at my house and I offered them some fried chicken, would that be racist?
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

my daddy grew watermelons and made us help with the planting, picking and selling - and of course, the eating.

black people eat watermelon. she didn't say it wasn't interpreted as racist, I think she was questioning more the "why is a watermelon associated with racism?". More the root of how did it become associated with racism. Because, frankly, I look at a melon and I don't think the "n" word, I think "yummy"....

watermelons should never be grown again & neither should cotton. Fried chicken should be outlawed. If one of my black friends was over at my house and I offered them some fried chicken, would that be racist?
    Again, context my friend. Offering a friend a food item, and an email obviously sent to offend, absolutely different scenarios and situations.

UM, pretty sure it was the use of said watermelon to reinforce racist stereotypes through racist advertising and articles....

Oh shit. I need to know the answer. I was cooking fried chicken tonight for my husband's barber, which is black. I didn't even put the two together, I was just cooking him dinner for coming over to cut Mr. Sweetypant's hair while he is bed ridden.
    Guess I better make something more white, so I don't offend him. Pizza maybe.

This puzzles me: why is this insulting and how did it get started anyway?
    I'm guessing because they're cheap and easy to grow that they once may have been associated purely with poverty/slavery?
    "But I am very poorly today & very stupid & I hate everybody & everything." -- Charles Darwin

"Trump is, in my opinion, the first woman president of the United States." -- Roseanne Barr

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information