Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Bush compares Barack Obama to Nazi sympathizers. Seriously.

Speaking of people 'appeasing' terrorists or even thinking about talking to them, here's John McCain saying he'll talk to Hamas because they got elected.

In today's Washington Post, Jamie Rubin destroys the George Bush/John McCain attack on Obama over Hamas. McCain told Rubin that we were going to have to work with Hamas -- and McCain didn't mention any conditions. Now, this interview happened two years ago, so, in fairness, McCain might not remember, but he said it quite clearly:

But given his own position on Hamas, McCain is the last politician who should be attacking Obama. Two years ago, just after Hamas won the Palestinian parliamentary elections, I interviewed McCain for the British network Sky News's "World News Tonight" program. Here is the crucial part of our exchange:

I asked: "Do you think that American diplomats should be operating the way they have in the past, working with the Palestinian government if Hamas is now in charge?"

McCain answered: "They're the government; sooner or later we are going to have to deal with them, one way or another, and I understand why this administration and previous administrations had such antipathy towards Hamas because of their dedication to violence and the things that they not only espouse but practice, so . . . but it's a new reality in the Middle East. I think the lesson is people want security and a decent life and decent future, that they want democracy. Fatah was not giving them that."

For some Europeans in Davos, Switzerland, where the interview took place, that's a perfectly reasonable answer. But it is an unusual if not unique response for an American politician from either party. And it is most certainly not how the newly conservative presumptive Republican nominee would reply today.

Given that exchange, the new John McCain might say that Hamas should be rooting for the old John McCain to win the presidential election. The old John McCain, it appears, was ready to do business with a Hamas-led government, while both Clinton and Obama have said that Hamas must change its policies toward Israel and terrorism before it can have diplomatic relations with the United States.

So while McCain was cavorting in Davos with all the other elites, he thought it was okay to work with Hamas. But now, McCain is on the attack over a manufactured issue. What a fraud.

Thanks to Rubin for finally getting this out. The debates only been going on for a couple weeks.

Oh and here's a video of it:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icooZ4PTM60[/YOUTUBE]

AMERICAblog: A great nation deserves the truth
    Exactly. Accuse others of doing what you do, deflect deflect deflect. Not that engaging in diplomacy is in any way a bad thing, however if you're going to try and control the message in such a way to implicate that it IS, you better make damn sure your own ass isn't guilty of engaging in what you accuse others of.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Cool, I win! More goats for everybody.
    Marley will appreciate that. Send along some black goats. He seems to have a fondness for them.

A government big enough to give you everything you want,
    is strong enough to take everything you have. ~Thomas Jefferson

jungle fever!
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

jungle fever!
    Nah, Marley is also all black. I think he sees the black goats and thinks they are other Belgian Sheepdogs. He hasn't figured out that Belgians don't have horns. Silly dog!

I had a Belgian Turveren growing up.. nice dog, if stupid and stubborn. Didn't take to commands very well. Going for a walk was irritating... the damn dog would constantly loop around me in a circle.

he eventually went crazy.. tore up the baseboards of the living room wall, ripped down the vertical blinds.. after that day he was always twitchy, nervous and glazed eyes.. dunno what happened to him.

^ Sounds like he got in someone's stash, to me.

I had a Belgian Turveren growing up.. nice dog, if stupid and stubborn. Didn't take to commands very well. Going for a walk was irritating... the damn dog would constantly loop around me in a circle.

he eventually went crazy.. tore up the baseboards of the living room wall, ripped down the vertical blinds.. after that day he was always twitchy, nervous and glazed eyes.. dunno what happened to him.
    Do you know why he was doing circles around you? Because he's a herding dog. It is his instinct to herd, and he was trying to herd you, probably because you were going too slow. Marley does circles around me when we're getting ready to go for a walk. It's hilarious. Herding breeds are very high energy dogs and extremely intelligent. They need constant physical exertion and mental stimulation. Marley wears me out, without a doubt. But I wouldn't have it any other way.

Mine was either dumb as rocks or too smart to listen to commands. He never came when you ordered him to, he didn't really play fetch, he rarely sat when told, laying down was either beyond him or he just didn't want to.. he even went through obedience school.

Any time the front door opened he'd charge it, probably knock you over and run off into suburbia with me chasing him trying to get him to come back.. the stupid thing would run into traffic and almost get hit a number of times.. i'd have to sneak up on him and hopefully grab his tail but most of the time he'd just drag me through the mud.

Eventually, when he got out, we just stopped trying to run after him.. if he got hit, then he got hit. We'd usually get a call 8 hours later from a friend around the block who had another female belgian, and sure enough there he'd be outside the fence, covered in mud, leaves and brambles but looking stupidly pleased with himself and worn out.

I always wondered if he went insane cuz he didn't get walked enough.. he was outside most of the time anyway, and never seemed antsy or stressed.

^^

lol we had a dog that went crazy once. it was an indescribable mix of god knows how many breeds and the dog was just too smart for its own good. impossible to train him but capable of moments of animal genius.

the opposite of labs who are so obedient and eager to please. minus one of our lab's puppies (which we kept for 6 months because the people we gave it to couldn't take him until then), he was so lazy and hedonistic that he'd never come if you called his name. instead, he'd hear his name, lie down on his back and wait for you to come rub his belly. the new owners told us it took them until he was almost a year old to teach him to stop doing that.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Awww! I have a little wiener dog that every time you look at him he rolls on his back for a tummy scratch. He is such a whore.
    ><((((>. . `.><((((>><((((>`..`...><((((>.`.. ><((((> `..`...><((((>

I asked: "Do you think that American diplomats should be operating the way they have in the past, working with the Palestinian government if Hamas is now in charge?"

McCain answered: "They're the government; sooner or later we are going to have to deal with them, one way or another, and I understand why this administration and previous administrations had such antipathy towards Hamas because of their dedication to violence and the things that they not only espouse but practice, so . . . but it's a new reality in the Middle East. I think the lesson is people want security and a decent life and decent future, that they want democracy. Fatah was not giving them that."

He never says here that he would speak to Hamas....He just acknowelges that they will have to be dealt with one way or another....please point out the words, I'll meet with them, or I'll speak with them

I'm tired of Avrosis' lies, he's as bad as the people he writes about...and just as biased
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

one way or another:

The previous method: ignoring them and branding them a terrorist organization, no communication, letting Israel deal with them as they please.

The obvious new method: engaging in diplomacy, given the context of them becoming a legitimate elected governing body and the old method having accomplished nothing of substance.

*draws a diagram*

I love how everyone is just suddenly context blind. Come on people.

McSame's response:

McCain said in response: "I made it very clear, at that time, before and after, that we will not negotiate with terrorist organizations, that Hamas would have to abandon their terrorism, their advocacy to the extermination of the state of Israel, and be willing to negotiate in a way that recognizes the right of the state of Israel and abandons their terrorist position and advocacy."
    Negotiation sounds an awful lot like DIPLOMACY.

I'm not context blind.

I think you can also read that "one way or another" as a veiled threat......

But in his quote that you have kindly posted:

McCain said in response: "I made it very clear, at that time, before and after, that we will not negotiate with terrorist organizations, that Hamas would have to abandon their terrorism, their advocacy to the extermination of the state of Israel, and be willing to negotiate in a way that recognizes the right of the state of Israel and abandons their terrorist position and advocacy."

He says he will negotiate IF Hamas abandons it's terrorism, and it's advocacy of exterminating Isreal, and is willing to negotiate in a way that recognizes Israel...... which is a bit different, and the context there is clear.

Does the context blindness only apply one way?

Those are Pre-conditions.....which is what this whole argument between the Dem and Repub sides is about.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

It seems now Obama has changed his mind about the preconditions.

In his rebuttal speech on Bush's attack, he said this:

It is time to present a country like Iran with a clear choice. If it abandons its nuclear program, support for terror, and threats to Israel, then Iran can rejoin the community of nations with all the benefits that entails. If not, Iran will face deeper isolation and steeper sanctions. When we engage directly, we will be in a stronger position to rally real international support for increased pressure.

Barack Obama : : Change We Can Believe In | Sam Graham-Felsen's Blog: Obama Delivers Speech on 5th Anniversary of Iraq War

I used his own website, so there would be no chance of a misquote.

Those are preconditions, in fact they are the same preconditions of our current failed policy. The policy that Obama often points out is so flawed.

But now he's adopted the same stance as Bush. WTF?

In the CNN/YouTube debate he emphatically stated he would not require preconditions, and it has been up on his website since then. The quote there is "Obama is the only major candidate who supports tough, direct presidential diplomacy with Iran without preconditions."

Looks like the old political bait and switch again.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information