Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Breaking! Federal judge ORDERS Obama admin to immediately halt DADT discharges

When Obama's ratings are in the dumps, and he's gearing up for a re-election, it's to be 'expected' he doesn't want to alienate other 'bases' of voters for 2012. Anyone that actually expected him to do anything radical is sadly misled.

And these groups that were hoping for Obama to do something, and now whining he didn't, again, mark my words. In 2 years these same haters will soon forgive and forget and back Obama. It always happens like that. Always. Their reason, as always, will be that Obama will be the "lesser of two evils" yada yada yada.

So predictable.

But that's just it - he IS alienating his voters! The majority of the voting public want this shit to end! Fucking raggedy bigoted no good motherfucker! Gays are entitled to the same fucking rights as blacks, whites, straight - whatever, we're talking about human fucking rights here! We all should get the same RIGHTS!
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(ē_ē)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1973 View Post
    But that's just it - he IS alienating his voters! The majority of the voting public want this shit to end! Fucking raggedy bigoted no good motherfucker! Gays are entitled to the same fucking rights as blacks, whites, straight - whatever, we're talking about human fucking rights here! We all should get the same RIGHTS!
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by celeb_2006 View Post
    When Obama's ratings are in the dumps, and he's gearing up for a re-election, it's to be 'expected' he doesn't want to alienate other 'bases' of voters for 2012. Anyone that actually expected him to do anything radical is sadly misled.

And these groups that were hoping for Obama to do something, and now whining he didn't, again, mark my words. In 2 years these same haters will soon forgive and forget and back Obama. It always happens like that. Always. Their reason, as always, will be that Obama will be the "lesser of two evils" yada yada yada.

So predictable.
    And alot of people are just going to say 'fuck both of these evils' and just not vote out of disgust and a sense of how meaningless it is. And I am sorry, I expect my president to stand up for civil rights. And he might as well, since he does not stand a chance in hell of getting re-elected IMO.

I am not forgiving or forgetting anything. And maybe a shitbag teabag Repug getting elected will be a better thing in the long run-destroying the country even more so he/she/it(we are talking Repugs here) can be swept out in another 4 years and a real Democrat with an actual spine(unless Democrat and spine are now mutually exclusive) can actually then take over.

I doubt you'll see any of that. Both parties are just 2 heads of the same monster, it's all Kabuki bullshit anymore. These people do lunch with each other and cackle behind closed doors, each agreeing to represent a slightly different version of each other so they can both scoop out of the trough while a dimwit populace still buys into the whole "voting" thing.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1973 View Post
    This x 2.

I have no idea why Obama seems to turn down every opportunity to make a progressive decision. This was a chance to show to his base that he CAN make one little difference. And yet he just blows it due to some political jargon bs. Seriously, why!?

He's a bigot. That's why.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

I like to call him dumbo ears. After listening to conservative radio for 8 years I stopped listening to it just before dumbo ears was voted in office. They were talking about his ties with a church ran by an idiot who hates america blah, blah. And then the guy( i can;'t think of his name, damn it) that people on talk radio were saying had actually wrote Obama's book. he's the guy along with his wife who attempted to blow a place up at one time. small time terrorists you could say.

There were signs about his guy Obama flashing everywhere before the election and folks still voted for him. His association with certain people should have been a sign of what this guy is about.
    another year i claim of total indifference.

Neeeeeever saw this coming

Pam's House Blend:: Obama DOJ to Appeal Federal Judge's Ruling on DADT

We knew this was coming.

White House press secretary Robert Gibbs acknowledged the Justice Department is preparing to appeal a courtís decision against the law preventing gays from serving openly in the military, but said President Obama is still committed to ending the policy.

ďThis is a policy that is going to end,Ē Gibbs said. ďIt's not whether it's going to end. It's about the process.Ē

Hear that? Our President wants DADT to end, really he does, but he just can't help himself, he has to appeal. It's the process, you see.

Where did we hear that schtick recently?

Oh yeah. On the floor of the Senate, when Blue Dogs Blanche Lincoln and Mark Pryor, and Republicans Susan Collins and Olympia Snowe whined about how unfair DADT is, how wrong it is, but gosh darn it, we have to think about the process!!! It's just not fair otherwise!!!

Gibbs' tap-dancing, courtesy of Kerry Eleveld:

Reporter: ďDonít ask, donít tell.Ē Apparently the administration will appeal the DOMA rulings. What are you going to do about ďdonít ask, donít tell,Ē on the grounds of the DOMA ruling that the administration always appeals laws that strike down or challenge existing laws that are on the -- or rulings that strike down existing --

Gibbs: Let me -- Iíve had a chance to talk to the President about this this morning. Iíd refer you to Department of Justice on appeals and that sort of thing. Youíve heard the President discuss this for several years, but I want to reiterate that the President strongly believes that this policy is unjust, that it is detrimental to our national security, and that it discriminates against those who are willing to die for their country. And the President strongly believes that itís time for this policy to end.

As you know, the President has implemented a process with the Department of Defense, with the Secretary of Defense, with Admiral Mullen and the other members of the Joint Chiefs to move forward in implementing an end to this policy in an orderly way.

The best way to end it is for the Senate to follow the lead of the House of Representatives so that that end can be implemented in a fashion thatís consistent with our obligations in fighting two wars. But absent that action, the President again has set up a process to end this policy. And I think the bottom line is, that recent court rulings have demonstrated to Congress that itís time to act and end this policy, theyíve demonstrated that time is running out on the policy of ďdonít ask, donít tell,Ē and that the bottom line is this is a policy that is going to end. Itís not whether it will end, but the process by which it will end.
    Let's be honest: this President hasn't set up jack shit, preferring instead to let his Bush-holdover SECDEF run the show. This President doesn't want repeal to happen. This President has lied repeatedly, and undermined the repeal process at every turn. We were told that he had set up that "required" Pentagon study group in March of 2009. He hadn't. This President said he wanted Congress to repeal DADT. He bullied Congressmen into withdrawing repeal language from legislation instead. This President could have included repeal language in his transmittals to the House for inclusion in the Defense Authorization act. He refused. This President could have respected the rule of law and instructed to DOD to follow the Witt standard. He didn't. When it came down to the wire, instead of expending a bit of effort to get the votes in the Senate to repeal DADT, this President chose to instead call the WNBA champions and congratulate them. And now, when he has been handed an opportunity on a silver platter to end DADT, he's fighting back.

But don't forget, Republicans are worse. /snark/

Comments section:

While I hope to see a viable Dem candidate replace him in 2012, yes, even if Obama continues to betray his promises to LGBTs ANY Dem is better than ANY Repug on so many other issues that to consider voting Repug for ANY office is self-destructive folly.

My persistent denoucing of him is meant only to hopefully enrage enough people to get off their asses and force him to change in this regard....which I believe IS possible just like the black civil rights movement forced white racists to give up their legal obstructionism.

Quote Originally Posted by Sojiita View Post
    And alot of people are just going to say 'fuck both of these evils' and just not vote out of disgust and a sense of how meaningless it is. And I am sorry, I expect my president to stand up for civil rights. And he might as well, since he does not stand a chance in hell of getting re-elected IMO.

I am not forgiving or forgetting anything. And maybe a shitbag teabag Repug getting elected will be a better thing in the long run-destroying the country even more so he/she/it(we are talking Repugs here) can be swept out in another 4 years and a real Democrat with an actual spine(unless Democrat and spine are now mutually exclusive) can actually then take over.
    I hope it hurts him for real next election.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by thunder&lightning View Post

There were signs about his guy Obama flashing everywhere before the election and folks still voted for him. His association with certain people should have been a sign of what this guy is about.
    Bill Ayers, and it's absolute bullshit that Ayers wrote Obama's books. Stop listening to conservative talk radio and Sarah Palin.

Obama is a lot better than the GOP on gays rights. Yes, I know it isn't moving fast enough, but it is moving. The reason that the DOJ (not Obama directly) is appealing the ruling is that this is what the DOJ does; it backs Congress up. I think we will have a legislative change ending DADT on Obama's watch.
    Tea baggers want to fight the Man because the Man doesn't look like them.

Obama is exactly the same as the GOP on gay rights. He';s fighting against LGBT rights in court, when he is not obligated to.

There is no basis for appeal, and in fact 21 senators sent Obama a letter urging him not too. That bullshit about "having to defend laws no matter what" is also a LIE. There are a number of laws he has chosen not to defend during his tenure.

There will be no legislative change. In November, the Dems will lose seats. If they were unwilling to end DADT with majorities and the executive, they aren't going to do it (whether they want to or not) after they lose one or both the houses.

Please stop lying.

Quote Originally Posted by visitor42 View Post
    Bill Ayers, and it's absolute bullshit that Ayers wrote Obama's books. Stop listening to conservative talk radio and Sarah Palin.

Obama is a lot better than the GOP on gays rights. Yes, I know it isn't moving fast enough, but it is moving. The reason that the DOJ (not Obama directly) is appealing the ruling is that this is what the DOJ does; it backs Congress up. I think we will have a legislative change ending DADT on Obama's watch.
    It was a GOP group that got DODT stopped (for now).

We really need to stop this party bullshit and look at the person (or in this case group of persons). Our "leaders" have forgotten that and simply bang the party drum and/or do what protects the party FIRST. Voters do the same thing when they insist on casting the parties in "good v. evil" roles. Ensuring you'll vote for whomever (regardless of qualifications, track record, etc etc) simply because he wears the good guy cape.

Anyway, maybe there is some truth to Obama's argument that he's setting this up. Afterall, appeal means it goes to the Supreme Court. If/when they rule DADT is unconstitutional isn't that more permanent (i.e. no other appeals)?

No, it's not more permanent. It's gone now. That's as permanent as it gets. Obama is appealing to get it reinstated, despite his DOJ losing the case on merit. The court might not grant the appeal because, frankly, they don't have a logical leg to stand on which is why they lost in the first place. You have to provide reasons for the appeal.

See, here's the kicker: Obama could have signed an executive stop loss order, halting the witch hunts and discharges for a year or 2 now while congress (or the pentagon) did it's terrified running around. To date, he has not. Why?

Because a year or 2 of the gays not being discharged would show that hey, the world didn't crumble and the sky didn't fall.

Obama doesn't want that to happen, and neither does the Pentagon.

So Obama kicks the can down the road, says "we're not going to do anything until the Pentagon finishes it's "survey" of the troops and their families (for some reason) about how icky gays make them feel. It should be done by December, 1 month after the election.

Convenient, no?

So after the election when the Dems no longer have the capability of passing DADT repeal legislatively because they lost 1 or both houses (Kill the repeal tactic 1), the Pentagon will come out with its survey... mind you, this survey is basically the most bigoted and homophobic piece of shit you have ever seen.. the language in it is used to actually create ONE conclusion: gays make soldiers feel too icky, they can't serve. Seriously, go look at it. That's what it's geared for.

Also, the "survey" was hacked within a day of being released, and there are zero guarantees in regards to anonymity so gays can't even answer it positively because the brass will know. So it's totally fucking skewed and rigged. That's kill the repeal insurance 2.

Once that survey comes out saying gays are icky, Obama will shrug his shoulders and say "oh well, gotta support the (straight) troops, can't go against the military".. and since he handed all veto power over IF repeal ever happens, the military wll just say no. Kill the repeal insurance 3.

THe judicial ruling will have no bearing. Sec. Gates actually said like 5 days ago that the Judicial branch (despite having oversight powers per the constitution) has "no authority" to order the military to do anything. Still, the court ruling has interfered with Obama's plans to kill DADT repeal, and the pressure is mounting on him to obey the court. The Pentagon didn't think that ruling would come out, and is scrambling around. However, it's all moot in the end. Once that stupid survey comes out, they'll reinstate DADT as it was.

They'll just ignore the courts, and 1/3 of your government will have been rendered totally impotent by the tyrannical executive branch and its banana republic army.

Enjoy your constitutional crisis.

Grimm, I just got chills reading that. Chills.
    "Not only do we embrace it, we take it out for drinks, get it absolutely steaming drunk, leg hump it and then leave it covered in shaving foam and a stolen Chuck E Cheese outfit in its own bath with no recollection of how it got there." -Kittylady on the sad and pathetic and strange.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information