Quote Originally Posted by january View Post
Yeah, my husband's company (who we have insurance through) just raised its premiums for its members for the 2009/2010 year. Our plan only jumped about $20 but some of the other plans are just virtually unbelievable, we could never afford it. We pay about $326 a month for insurance premiums, the company pays about 3/4 of the total premium. We have HMO and we've had really good care, we can't complain about that. We pay $15 copays and we have two semi-major surgeries coming up that will only cost us $30 total. We've used it quite a bit since we've been back and considering what we WOULD have paid without insurance, we can't really see fit to complain too much. But we are in drastic need of health insurance reform in this country. We had temporary insurance when we were out of work and just came back to the US, I had one emergency room visit that was unpreventable and now we are still in debt. Insurance only covered about $200 of a huge bill.
I'm sorry to hear about the debt you incurred. It's becoming too commonplace.

This is not aimed at you, just a blanket statement from the perspective of the parasites known as insurance companies, January. If the company is mid-sized and every family has one semi-major surgery, expect the premiums to climb again.

The first time I ran into the rapidly rising premiums was at a small business, which had less than two hundred employees. Several employees had family plans, covering members with actual chronic conditions. They were not the cause for the rapid premium rise, from forty dollars a month for single to one hundred dollars in a calendar year. One hypochondriac family, which consisted of the mom, dad, the two unwed professional incubators, and their hatchlings managed to incur bills in the hundreds of thousands in one year, prompting another raise in premiums which would have taken singles' premiums close to two hundred dollars per month. Our copays were also rising.

Sadly, it is sometimes less expensive to have a "catastrophic" policy and pay out of pocket for doctor's visits. Medicaid doesn't help the struggling working class families, it helps the welfare queens and kings most of the time.