Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Blacks and Latinos back California gay marriage ban

"but it shouldn't be forced on others."

this is crap. I've been involved since the early nineties and I have to say I never expected it to go from us being demonized to being denied marriage. It's so weird. They clearly do not want gays to be seen as 'moral', to be allowed to be seen as 'normal'.

RIS has a point about blaming the minorities, as well. I also don't agree with voters being able to overturn a court decision, the branches of govt should remain distinct, this is incestuous and wrong and it has got to be fought, killed, embalmed and buried under the ground. It's ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by RevellingInSane View Post
    Mississippi passed this several years ago. Mississippi isn't the least tolerant state in the Union. Alabama sees to that.
    Yeah I know. I was one of the 14% of Mississippians who voted against the definition of marriage act. And I remember reading it carefully because frankly, well, it's Mississippi.

I know Bama's not any better, but I think I'd bet money on my state carrying the number one spot on the backwardassed bigotry list. Though we probably play "hot potato" with Arkansas over that one.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

I think the Latino support has a lot to do with religious values.. half of my family is homophobic merely because of the fact that God forbids it and the Catholic church considers it a sin. It might apply to the black support, too... just my opinion.

^^ Well, yeah. That is exactly the reason, religious values.

My husband has said a couple of times of this ballot measure that it "was very carefully timed"--the idea being that people wanting to pass this proposition knew it would stand a better chance included on the ballot with the presidential election. He also thinks it was supposed to work the other way 'round, too, by mobilizing the far-right (white) "base" to muster out to the polls and cast a vote for McCain.

Lots of people I know who were against Prop 8 were busy getting out the vote for Obama. Yes, we knew he would win in California, but my politically active friends all went to Nevada to canvass for him. They ignored Prop 8 until the last minute, when it looked like things might go poorly, and by then it was too late to mount an effective campaign.
    Posted from my fucking iPhone

dreaming about being on a lake in Ontario

The main thing all these groups, blacks, latinos, and right wing nut jobs have in common........religion. "The world's largest pyramid scheme". It cause more problems that ANYTHING else.
    If I can't be a good example, then let me be a horrible warning.

I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

I think the Human Rights campaign on a national level should start a public relations campaign that explicitely draws a visual comparison between gay rights and rights for ethnic minorities in this country. Use footage of black people being sprayed with fire hoses....being attacked by dogs...being forced to get their food from the back door and to drink from seperate water fountains. Show the terrible, terrible abuse that millions of Americans suffered and when you see the crying faces of black children and grwon men and women of color...suddenly, just at that moment...cut quickly to what is happening right now...today...to our gay citizens. Put it in their faces...not just during an election, but every day to remind them how we are treating our own people.

yeah, but gays havent been firehosed or attacked with dogs yet.

Lynched, yes.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by nana55 View Post
    The main thing all these groups, blacks, latinos, and right wing nut jobs have in common........religion. "The world's largest pyramid scheme". It cause more problems that ANYTHING else.

You see, that's the problem. While I agree with others suggestions of doing a better job of reaching out to other groups, at the same time when your interpretation of religion views homosexuality as a sin and worse, all the sweet talking in the world will never convert others to your side or cause.

Case in point, I was struck by an article that came out today about the reverend Billy Graham and how he is 'retiring' from advising presidents as his health is very fragile. This following quote really struck me:

Son: Billy Graham's work with presidents is ending - Yahoo! News

Though never partisan in his preaching, Billy Graham is a registered Democrat. His son expressed concern about Obama's views on abortion and gay marriage an issue Franklin Graham raised in a meeting with the Illinois senator saying that he and is father are conservatives who believe the Bible speaks clearly on those issues.
    "President-elect Obama heard our position," Franklin Graham said. "And I told him that this was very difficult for us and hard for us. It's a moral issue that we just can't back down on."
    "But he's our president-elect, and those positions that he holds that are contrary to Biblical teaching, I hope that God will change his heart," said Graham, who now heads the Charlotte-based Billy Graham Evangelistic Association.

You can try and reason all you want with others who are heavily influenced by religion but it won't get you anywhere for the most part. Again, I'm not too concerned about the Mormon church and other religious fanatical nuts. At least you can tell where they stand on the issues without being hypocrites. My concern are all the others who would not hesitate to criticize racism yet have no sympathy or concern for gays and gay rights.

the bible says a lot of stupid shit that nobody obeys anymore.

I love how THIS anti-gay shit (when in actuality, they were talking about prostitution of any stripe) is the one thing they fucking cling to, because it validates their own built in bigotry.

Quote Originally Posted by Str8_uncut-jock View Post
    I think the Human Rights campaign on a national level should start a public relations campaign that explicitely draws a visual comparison between gay rights and rights for ethnic minorities in this country. Use footage of black people being sprayed with fire hoses....being attacked by dogs...being forced to get their food from the back door and to drink from seperate water fountains. Show the terrible, terrible abuse that millions of Americans suffered and when you see the crying faces of black children and grwon men and women of color...suddenly, just at that moment...cut quickly to what is happening right now...today...to our gay citizens. Put it in their faces...not just during an election, but every day to remind them how we are treating our own people.

That will create more animosity and controversy. I'm not sure but I am positive that a while ago some activist likened the gay rights struggle with the civil rights struggle, and many people were upset that such a comparison was made.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    yeah, but gays havent been firehosed or attacked with dogs yet.

Lynched, yes.
    Doesn't really matter...only perception matters. If we can paint the picture in peoples minds, that is all we have to do.

Quote Originally Posted by celeb_2006 View Post
    That will create more animosity and controversy. I'm not sure but I am positive that a while ago some activist likened the gay rights struggle with the civil rights struggle, and many people were upset that such a comparison was made.
    Good. At this point I am angry that my personal rights are being violated every single fucking day...I wish someone else was pissed off too.
    Last edited by Tati; November 10th, 2008 at 08:23 PM.

Yeah, that's cuz they didn't want to see themselves lumped in with gays, cuz we're ICKY.

Too fucking bad, IMHO.

dreaming about being on a lake in Ontario

That is only because in some stupid people's mind, Gays choose their lifestyle. No matter what we tell them or science has learned.
    If I can't be a good example, then let me be a horrible warning.

Quote Originally Posted by MrsDark View Post
    Yeah I know. I was one of the 14% of Mississippians who voted against the definition of marriage act. And I remember reading it carefully because frankly, well, it's Mississippi.

I know Bama's not any better, but I think I'd bet money on my state carrying the number one spot on the backwardassed bigotry list. Though we probably play "hot potato" with Arkansas over that one.
    The deep south is the asshole of the US and needs to be given an enema. LA, FL, GA, NC, VA, WV, SC, and more are all "old-south" believers.

This state can be so damn embarrassing.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread Information