Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Blacks and Latinos back California gay marriage ban

Even if every black and latino voter in Cali voted for this prop, which they didn't, they couldn't have passed it on their own. Whites had to back it as well. Without the white vote, nothing is going to pass in this country.

The article admits blacks and latinos combined make up less than thirty-three percent of the voting base. Let's say sixty percent, the average of seventy (black) and fifty(latino) percent, voted for prop 8. That means just under twenty percent of the overall total of supporting votes were cast by latins and blacks combined. Where did the other eighty percent come from?

Blaming minorities for majority votes makes no sense. This seems to be a diversion from the epicenter of those who voted in favor of the epicenter. Find that eighty percent who voted for it, who aren't black or latino, and that is the head of the snake.

Quote Originally Posted by MrsDark View Post
    I'm really amazed. I would have expected shit like this in Mississippi. But Cali? Fuck me...
    Mississippi passed this several years ago. Mississippi isn't the least tolerant state in the Union. Alabama sees to that.

The only difference between MS and CA is that MS, along with other bible belt states, is vocal in it's moral stance. Cali played up the open-minded facade, but couldn't back it up in the polls.

If it can't be rejected in Cali, I don't know where it can.

I still think many voters thought that No on 8 meant "No same sex marriage" and Yes meant "Yes, let gays marry". That's the only way I can figure that the Yes vote actually passed.
    Did you know that an anagram for "Conscious Uncoupling" is "Iconic Uncool Pus Guns"? - MohandasKGanja

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by angelais View Post
    I still think many voters thought that No on 8 meant "No same sex marriage" and Yes meant "Yes, let gays marry". That's the only way I can figure that the Yes vote actually passed.
    When I first heard about Prop 8, the wording confused me, too. It makes you wonder how many voters didn't understand what they were voting for. I doubt it was enough to make a difference, but still.

Quote Originally Posted by RevellingInSane View Post
    Even if every black and latino voter in Cali voted for this prop, which they didn't, they couldn't have passed it on their own. Whites had to back it as well. Without the white vote, nothing is going to pass in this country.

The article admits blacks and latinos combined make up less than thirty-three percent of the voting base. Let's say sixty percent, the average of seventy (black) and fifty(latino) percent, voted for prop 8. That means just under twenty percent of the overall total of supporting votes were cast by latins and blacks combined. Where did the other eighty percent come from?

Blaming minorities for majority votes makes no sense. This seems to be a diversion from the epicenter of those who voted in favor of the epicenter. Find that eighty percent who voted for it, who aren't black or latino, and that is the head of the snake.

Mississippi passed this several years ago. Mississippi isn't the least tolerant state in the Union. Alabama sees to that.

The only difference between MS and CA is that MS, along with other bible belt states, is vocal in it's moral stance. Cali played up the open-minded facade, but couldn't back it up in the polls.

If it can't be rejected in Cali, I don't know where it can.
    Yes, but I think the main point of these kinds of articles is to show that those against gay marriage and gay rights issues aren't necessarily the religious right wing fundie nuts everyone seems to blame solely. Like those protestors at the mormon church. While those two groups may not comprise the majority of all voters, percentage wise it is alarming that such a high percentage of each group is against gay marriage and gay rights.

If by some reason their voting numbers were to be equal with whites, then they would overtake the white vote against prop 8 right?

So that is why this trend is very demoralizing to the gay rights community. People who voted yes on Prop. 8 are people that live next to you, work with you, and interact with everyday, not frothing at the mouth spouting anti gay diatribes.

A knife in the back, and that's why the "play nice" tactic that's been employed for the last 20 or so years tastes really fucking sour right now.

Everybody on "the other side" who said "don't scare people, don't be different, don't be out of place and you'll get your rights" was dead wrong.

Once equality is had, THEN assimilation can happen successfully. Not the other way around.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Exactly. Blaming minorities for it doesn't make any sense. The problem is people went on the assumption that minorities would automatically be against Prop 8 because it represents discrimination. But what people fail to realize is that the Mormon Church reached out to minority groups to get their support and sway them. So, the gay community needed to reach out to minority groups to get their support, too, instead of just assuming that they would get it.

The belief that one minority group will automatically support another minority group is ridiculous. That doesn't even happen among racial minorities. You have to reach out to each other to build a support network. Even during the Civil Rights Movement different groups had to reach out to each other to build a coalition.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    Exactly. Blaming minorities for it doesn't make any sense. The problem is people went on the assumption that minorities would automatically be against Prop 8 because it represents discrimination. But what people fail to realize is that the Mormon Church reached out to minority groups to get their support and sway them. So, the gay community needed to reach out to minority groups to get their support, too, instead of just assuming that they would get it.

The belief that one minority group will automatically support another minority group is ridiculous. That doesn't even happen among racial minorities. You have to reach out to each other to build a support network. Even during the Civil Rights Movement different groups had to reach out to each other to build a coalition.
    Exactly KC. The right wing conservatives quietly pumped their resources into getting the proposition passed. They reached out, as you said, to the minorities.

Blacks and Latinos don't even get along in many cases. The gay community needs to reach out, diplomatically, to every community. Education and positive communication are paramount. Use the tactics of the conservatives against them. Assumption leads to failure.

As a minority, I see every day how divided the groups are. Gays can not expect mutual struggles for full acceptance, when based on totally different issues, will unite every group. It won't happen. The conservatives know this and abuse that knowledge.

solution: shoot all conservatives in the face
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Statements like that just push you back another step.

aww but it would be SO satisfying

Being gay in the black/latino community is extremely controversial..

If a conservative made a comment, even jokingly, about shooting all gays in the face, how would the gays react?

I'm neither, so I can see both sides.

gays aren't trying to oppress people, and haven't deserved such comments

You don't think gays deserve to have such comments aimed at them. There are some who think otherwise. What, gays get a free pass to say such a thing about a non-gay group? Don't think so.

If gays can say it, gays can have it said about them. Don't bitch when some rightie nut job says shooting all gays in the face would end this debate and solve the problem.

Exactly KC. The right wing conservatives quietly pumped their resources into getting the proposition passed. They reached out, as you said, to the minorities.

Blacks and Latinos don't even get along in many cases. The gay community needs to reach out, diplomatically, to every community. Education and positive communication are paramount. Use the tactics of the conservatives against them. Assumption leads to failure.

As a minority, I see every day how divided the groups are. Gays can not expect mutual struggles for full acceptance, when based on totally different issues, will unite every group. It won't happen. The conservatives know this and abuse that knowledge.
    Agreed, RIS. And what it comes down to is the conservatives using the age-old 'divide and conquer' tactic.

Go after different groups and play off their fears and pit them against one another with the end result being that you push your agenda through while the groups are fighting amongst themselves. McCain tried the same thing during the election, but it blew up in his face.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information