Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Black scholar's arrest raises profiling questions

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Why does coaching soft ball mean he's a good guy? I figure they both got hot under the collar and agree with Obama's assessment that cooler heads should have prevailed. Gates was an older guy returning from an overseas trip and had lost his keys so was probably not in a great mood to start with. The officer was probably going too much by the book and from there it all just escalated. Perhaps it's time to put this bad boy to bed.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Gold Member

Maybe Crowley and Gates should just apologize to each other and put this incident behind them. But I heard Gates is going to use this incident to film a documentary about racial profiling. He seems like an old man with a chip on his shoulder.

I just checked the poll on AOL. Almost 70% of people believe that Crowley shouldn't have to apologize to Gates and that racial profiling had nothing to do with his arrest. So, why is this being blown up into a big issue?

^ The ACLU feels the same way, that this was not racial profiling.

They stated that when a specific report with a suspects' description is being followed up, that is not profiling, and to term it such detracts from the seriousness of profiling.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Being abusive to cops who accuse you of breaking into your own home isn't a reason to be arrested. Unless he hit one of the cops, or threatened them, they had no reason to arrest him.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

^That's what gets me. If we've reached the point where we can't even get pissed off in our own home then things are kind of wrong. Then again, grumpy Gates might want to lighten up a bit. I think it's time they both acted like men, shook hands and moved on. It doesn't make a difference who's right and who's wrong at this point; if they ended it civilly and with dignity it would be a great example of how people should behave.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

^ True to both of the above posts.

But in my experience, white, black, or brown, if you give the cops shit, they take you to the station.

They may not have any other grounds than disorderly conduct, but it's going to happen.

Getting loud and mouthy with cops is just stupid. I've been pulled over more than once in NJ, when I know I hadn't done anything wrong- they just see you on the road at night and figure they'll make up some bullshit to pull you over to see if you are DWI. When it happens I'm nice, accommodating and polite, even though I know the cops are wrong and I would have every right to be indignant. It just is the smarter way to deal with them.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

^^Exactly. Both sides should've handled themselves better. Gates should've known not to be mouthing off to cops & the cops shouldn't have gotten 'too sensitive' about some bad language.

But WCG I get what you're saying about your experience being pulled over by a cop. But being a white woman your experience with being pulled over by a cop isn't going to have the same dynamics as my experience would as a black male. That's just a fact.

I've got friends that are cops. But I also know that cops in general, be they white, black, or Hispanic, tend to have a different reaction to whites than they do with minorities. Which is why most of the police brutality cases involve more minorities than whites.

^^I do wonder exactly what is meant by "abusive" in this case; did he physically assault the officer, did he curse at him, or what prompted the officers to arrest him? If as stated, he raised his voice and made accusations of racial profiling, then I think they could have just chalked it up to him being tired, cranky and unreasonable and left it at that. If he came at them calling them every insulting name in the book, that's a different story.

^^I think 'abusive' means that he kept shouting, calling him a racist and saying things about his mother. Because if Gates had actually hit one of those cops, he'd have caught a major ass-whupping/got shot, and they wouldn't have dropped the charges.

Although in the video they showed of the cop on MSNBC, I liked how he felt it was relevant to say that he didn't vote for Obama.

Soooo some of this clusterfuck was caused by a few 'yo mommas' hurled around?

For some reason, the mental image of a distinguished Harvard professor and a cop trading 'Yo momma' cracks is making me laugh.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    ^^I think 'abusive' means that he kept shouting, calling him a racist and saying things about his mother. Because if Gates had actually hit one of those cops, he'd have caught a major ass-whupping/got shot, and they wouldn't have dropped the charges.

Although in the video they showed of the cop on MSNBC, I liked how he felt it was relevant to say that he didn't vote for Obama.
    It's not relevant, but it leads me to think that the cop really is racist.

Quote Originally Posted by buttmunch View Post
    ^That's what gets me. If we've reached the point where we can't even get pissed off in our own home then things are kind of wrong. Then again, grumpy Gates might want to lighten up a bit. I think it's time they both acted like men, shook hands and moved on. It doesn't make a difference who's right and who's wrong at this point; if they ended it civilly and with dignity it would be a great example of how people should behave.
    Exactly. As I understand it, he offered to show his ID which was inside
    the house, the cop followed him inside, saw the ID and still it wasn't
    enough for him? He still wanted an explanation on why Gates had trouble
    entering his own home? And then you arrest a guy because that kind of
    questioning after providing evidence of home ownership is pissing him off?

^^Exactly. Both sides should've handled themselves better. Gates should've known not to be mouthing off to cops & the cops shouldn't have gotten 'too sensitive' about some bad language.

But WCG I get what you're saying about your experience being pulled over by a cop. But being a white woman your experience with being pulled over by a cop isn't going to have the same dynamics as my experience would as a black male. That's just a fact.

I've got friends that are cops. But I also know that cops in general, be they white, black, or Hispanic, tend to have a different reaction to whites than they do with minorities. Which is why most of the police brutality cases involve more minorities than whites.
    Hear, hear. Unfortunately that's still a fact in many states, not just the
    stereotypical prejudiced Southern states. AC 360 had a series a few
    months ago, how in - I believe - some Texas towns, police was instructed
    to stop minority drivers and charge them with anything. The series was
    called highway robbery. Now, that's probably, hopefully, an extreme.
    But when you're colored/black and just happen to be driving or walking in
    the wrong (white) neighborhood (like, trying to find an address that you
    DO have an appointment to go to), you'd better be able to back up your
    story, or else......

I do believe it was inappropriate of Obama to address this incident at length
    during a press conference on the health care issue, regardless of any specific
    question being asked about it. He should have just said that this was not the
    time or the place for that subject and that he would respond at a later time
    when he felt he had all the facts.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

I definitely wasn't comparing my experience to that of a black man. I grew up in a big city, I know what goes on. I know the score.

But though I know the cop is wrong, it's still smarter to just be polite and not raise the issue of the cop being out of line. I may be right, be he has the gun and the badge, and the power to haul my ass to jail- even if he can't charge me with something that will stick, he sure can ruin my day by hauling me in. So I act polite, because it makes things easier.

I get it, the scholar dissed the cops mommy. Awwwww, poor widdle guy felt angwy.

Seriously? WTF? This whole thing would have been done and over with if the cop kept it together and just dealt with the situation like a professional. I know lots of cops and they've been dealt far worse in terms of verbal assaults, they shrug it off as part of the job and if they brought in every person who dissed their mother, called them a pig, racist, asshole or what have you, the current situation with overloaded jails would look like a cake walk in comparison.

It's not a nice part of the job, but you're going to be making people angry, and people tend to act like assholes when they get angry. I never expected people to serve me coffee and a cookie when I was going in to seize their children, I didn't go whining about abuse, so strap a pair on, deal with the unpleasant part of your job like every other professional and call it a fucking day. Sheesh!

It's not relevant, but it leads me to think that the cop really is racist.
    How is the cop being racist? Are you referring to the part where he said he didn't vote for Obama?

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread Information