Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 156

Thread: Black scholar's arrest raises profiling questions

  1. #61
    Elite Member Grimmlok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    In WhoreLand fucking your MOM
    Posts
    55,372

    Default

    How is that proving your point? I look at each issue he's involved with separately. He's done a lot of stupid shit lately, but none of them connect to each other in any meaningful way considering the topics are all vastly different from each other. One does not lead into commentary of another. This is a totally separate issue from anything else and he made a dumb move on it, couched in a speech about health care which he's finally getting serious about.

    You're seeing a connection that isn't there.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

  2. #62
    Elite Member kingcap72's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    10 miles from Pootie Tang
    Posts
    21,909

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Well golly gee, maybe it';s because he's done a lot of stupid things lately? It's not coming out of thin air. It doesn't happen in a vacuum.
    Or maybe it's because he hasn't made gay rights his top priority and you're pissed. Because prior to that you were 'yay Obama' when he did something you liked and 'failbama' when he did something you didn't like. Now, it's completely 'failbama' Oh, but that's not personal feelings at all, huh? Gimme a break.

    Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    LOL i see, posting legitimate articles on how he's broken a number of campaign promises is somehow "complaining", but when I did it about Bush it was just fine.

    K. I think the whole race thing is clouding your mind. Seriously. It's like "black guy in office = off limits".

    Secondly,. I call him that when he does something boneheaded or wrong. I don't need an "excuse", just a REASON which he handily provides every few days.

    Hell, most of his staff is just as moronic, but they arent the ones up there making dumb public comments, aside from his spokesbitch Gibbs who is just a blithering nitwit.
    Of all the stupid things you just posted, the part in bold is the probably the dumbest. Because he's black he's off limits for me? As a black man does it give me some pride that Obama's in office? Of course it does. But he's the president, which means he should be held accountable when he does things wrong.

    But maybe you're right. He can do nothing wrong in my eyes. Oh well, except for:

    1) the constant bailouts to the banks with no real strings

    2) Not making a decision on torture

    3) Not as transparent a government as he promised

    4) Not giving more specifics on healthcare reform

    5) holding on to too many Bush era policies

    6) sometimes being to cool under pressure when he should take the lead

    7) by having the Justice Department go to the courts and fight against things like DADT & DOMA he's giving the impression that he and the Dems are anti-gay.

    But, then again, you and I had this debate before and you challenged me to list things that I thought Obama had done wrong. I did, and then I challenged you to list things you thought he'd done right, and you came up with some excuse about not having time because you were at work. So, list those things he's done right in your opinion.

  3. #63
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,808

    Default re

    1. Obama should have known better than to use 'stupid' and 'police' in the same sentence, particularly when all the facts weren't available.

    2. But it is stupid that the situation escalated to the point where Gates was arrested. Someone did something stupid--maybe both parties (Gates and police). How unnecessary.

    3. I'm not black but my dad was a criminal defense lawyer and I think people of color have a very different perspective on the legal system than the average white person. I'd be sick and tired of dealing with that shit, too.

  4. #64
    Elite Member Grimmlok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    In WhoreLand fucking your MOM
    Posts
    55,372

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    Or maybe it's because he hasn't made gay rights his top priority and you're pissed.
    No I'm pissed on that note because he's done the opposite, ie: move in another direction opposite of forward. That has nothing to do with him making a boneheaded comment HERE about something he didn't have all the details on.

    Because prior to that you were 'yay Obama' when he did something you liked and 'failbama' when he did something you didn't like. Now, it's completely 'failbama' Oh, but that's not personal feelings at all, huh? Gimme a break.
    Yes, because he's not done anything right pretty much since the inauguration. Things he did right: stem cell research and an ill thought out attempt to close GITMO. Since then the only thing that sticks out in my mind is a half hearted attempt to get healthcare going (while still securing the vast profits of the insurance industry, a bit shady) and threaten to veto any bill that contained money for the F-22 program. I'm undecided on Sotomayer.

    Everything else, from the economy to faith based groups funding, to gay issues to continuing Bush indefinite detention legal limbo, to the toothless environmental nonsense, to random comments like this.. fail.


    Of all the stupid things you just posted, the part in bold is the probably the dumbest. Because he's black he's off limits for me? As a black man does it give me some pride that Obama's in office? Of course it does. But he's the president, which means he should be held accountable when he does things wrong.
    And you're saying that me posting articles critical of him engaging in some of the exact same policy garbage as Bush is "complaining"... meanwhile, when it was Bush alone it seemed fine? That's the hypocrisy.

    But maybe you're right. He can do nothing wrong in my eyes. Oh well, except for:

    1) the constant bailouts to the banks with no real strings

    2) Not making a decision on torture

    3) Not as transparent a government as he promised

    4) Not giving more specifics on healthcare reform

    5) holding on to too many Bush era policies

    6) sometimes being to cool under pressure when he should take the lead

    7) by having the Justice Department go to the courts and fight against things like DADT & DOMA he's giving the impression that he and the Dems are anti-gay.
    Uh, gee.. looks pretty familiar. Maybe you're just complaining too?


    But, then again, you and I had this debate before and you challenged me to list things that I thought Obama had done wrong. I did, and then I challenged you to list things you thought he'd done right, and you came up with some excuse about not having time because you were at work. So, list those things he's done right in your opinion.
    You'rer right, i totally forgot about that but I just listed it. Voila.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

  5. #65
    Elite Member kingcap72's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    10 miles from Pootie Tang
    Posts
    21,909

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    No I'm pissed on that note because he's done the opposite, ie: move in another direction opposite of forward. That has nothing to do with him making a boneheaded comment HERE about something he didn't have all the details on..
    And the fact that he hasn't moved in the direction you want is the reason why your comments on Obama on this subject sound just like your comments on every subject concerning Obama.

    On this topic, Obama was wrong to say the cops 'acted stupidly.' Even though I agree with him, as president he has to choose his words on this subject more carefully. But to say that he shouldn't comment at all on a case involving a friend is ridiculous.


    Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Yes, because he's not done anything right pretty much since the inauguration. Things he did right: stem cell research and an ill thought out attempt to close GITMO. Since then the only thing that sticks out in my mind is a half hearted attempt to get healthcare going (while still securing the vast profits of the insurance industry, a bit shady) and threaten to veto any bill that contained money for the F-22 program. I'm undecided on Sotomayer..

    Everything else, from the economy to faith based groups funding, to gay issues to continuing Bush indefinite detention legal limbo, to the toothless environmental nonsense, to random comments like this.. fail.
    So, basically, since he hasn't done things to your personal satisfaction then he hasn't done too many things right. Got it. Oh, and the reason why he didn't want any money going toward the F-22 was because it was a wasteful project that people have been trying to get rid of for decades.

    And Obama's made a half-hearted attempt on healthcare? He's closer than any president has been in 60 years to passing some real reform and it's half-hearted? True, it won't be perfect reform, but nobody expects it to be. And if he was securing the profits for the insurance companies then why are they trying so hard to kill any reform?

    Now, if he chokes and doesn't get any healthcare reform through I'll be pissed, and that may ensure that he's a one-term president.

    Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    And you're saying that me posting articles critical of him engaging in some of the exact same policy garbage as Bush is "complaining"... meanwhile, when it was Bush alone it seemed fine? That's the hypocrisy.
    I don't care if you post articles criticizing Obama. There should be a balance with the positive and negative. I like to know when he's fucking up. But the fact is that's all you seem to post is the negative, which shows an agenda.


    Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Uh, gee.. looks pretty familiar. Maybe you're just complaining too?


    You'rer right, i totally forgot about that but I just listed it. Voila.
    I'm complaining? Nah, I think I just disproved your theory AGAIN that I think Obama should have a free pass because he's black.

  6. #66
    Elite Member Grimmlok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    In WhoreLand fucking your MOM
    Posts
    55,372

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    And the fact that he hasn't moved in the direction you want is the reason why your comments on Obama on this subject sound just like your comments on every subject concerning Obama.
    It's not just the direction I want, it's the direction he promised It also happens to be the CORRECT direction which he affirmed during his run.

    On this topic, Obama was wrong to say the cops 'acted stupidly.' Even though I agree with him, as president he has to choose his words on this subject more carefully. But to say that he shouldn't comment at all on a case involving a friend is ridiculous.
    No, he shouldn't comment until he has all the facts. He admitted he did not, but commented anyway. That's DUMB.

    So, basically, since he hasn't done things to your personal satisfaction then he hasn't done too many things right.
    No, because he has broken campaign promises time and again and taken positions which are the direct opposite of what he campaigned on. The fact that I agreed with his ORIGINAL positions on these things (which he has done a total 180 on) is irksome.

    Got it. Oh, and the reason why he didn't want any money going toward the F-22 was because it was a wasteful project that people have been trying to get rid of for decades.
    Actually it's because the F-22 is a money pit, due to it being practically unusable as a joint strike fighter.. it has vast superiority in air to air combat against anything in the sky, but can't be used to attack ground targets. It hasn't been used in Iraq or afghanistan as a result. it also requires 30 hours of maintenance for every hour it's in the sky so that's why it's a money pit.

    The f-35 is a much more versatile fighter, and more will be purchased of them.

    And Obama's made a half-hearted attempt on healthcare? He's closer than any president has been in 60 years to passing some real reform and it's half-hearted? True, it won't be perfect reform, but nobody expects it to be. And if he was securing the profits for the insurance companies then why are they trying so hard to kill any reform?

    Now, if he chokes and doesn't get any healthcare reform through I'll be pissed, and that may ensure that he's a one-term president.



    I don't care if you post articles criticizing Obama. There should be a balance with the positive and negative. I like to know when he's fucking up. But the fact is that's all you seem to post is the negative, which shows an agenda.
    I don't have an agenda, I post what I find relevant. In the case of health care, he's taken single payer off the optio0ns list and has been convening meetings with insurance and pharma bigwigs behind the scenes and declining to release any info on what took place at said meetings. His efforts this far on healthcare seem pretty paltry and half assed (even his speech the other day seemed a bit phoned in, devoid of passion) and seemed guided more to preserving insurance industry profits and appeasing the GOP than moving meaningful legislation forward.

    I'm complaining? Nah, I think I just disproved your theory AGAIN that I think Obama should have a free pass because he's black.
    ... so when you say it it's fine, but when i say it's complaining? Your point has become awfully muddled.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

  7. #67
    Elite Member Wiseguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    3,201

    Default

    I can see why Obama was upset about the story as the scholar was a personal friend. But calling the police "stupid" was a dumb move, considering he didn't have all of the facts. Not a wise move for any world leader to make.

  8. #68
    Elite Member kingcap72's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    10 miles from Pootie Tang
    Posts
    21,909

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    It's not just the direction I want, it's the direction he promised It also happens to be the CORRECT direction which he affirmed during his run.
    Yeah, it's the correct direction, but Obama didn't promise a timetable on it. But his defense in court on that direction is fucked up when weighed against his promises.

    Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    No, he shouldn't comment until he has all the facts. He admitted he did not, but commented anyway. That's DUMB.
    Considering that the cops had no justified reason to arrest Gates, which is why they dropped the charges, then he had every right to comment on it. His comment about the cops was dumb, though.


    Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    o, because he has broken campaign promises time and again and taken positions which are the direct opposite of what he campaigned on. The fact that I agreed with his ORIGINAL positions on these things (which he has done a total 180 on) is irksome.
    Of course, Obama's broken campaign promises. He's a politician. Did anybody expect him to keep ALL of them. But he has kept some of them. But, I agree, some of the positions he's taken on certain issues I don't like.

    Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Actually it's because the F-22 is a money pit, due to it being practically unusable as a joint strike fighter.. it has vast superiority in air to air combat against anything in the sky, but can't be used to attack ground targets. It hasn't been used in Iraq or afghanistan as a result. it also requires 30 hours of maintenance for every hour it's in the sky so that's why it's a money pit.

    The f-35 is a much more versatile fighter, and more will be purchased of them.
    Then why were you complaining that he threatened to veto any bills that had funding for the F-22 attached to it if you agree that it's a money pit?

    Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    I don't have an agenda, I post what I find relevant. In the case of health care, he's taken single payer off the optio0ns list and has been convening meetings with insurance and pharma bigwigs behind the scenes and declining to release any info on what took place at said meetings. His efforts this far on healthcare seem pretty paltry and half assed (even his speech the other day seemed a bit phoned in, devoid of passion) and seemed guided more to preserving insurance industry profits and appeasing the GOP than moving meaningful legislation forward.

    ... so when you say it it's fine, but when i say it's complaining? Your point has become awfully muddled.
    A lot of people aren't keen on the idea of single-payer as an option. But he mentioned single payer during his press conference last night. And why shouldn't he meet with the insurance companies and drug companies? Like it or not, they are a part of this equation on healthcare. Because you have to put some regulations on them to keep them from gouging prices and dropping people for no reason.

    If he can get some money out of them, like the money he got from the drug companies to put toward reform then that's not a bad thing. Now, the part about not releasing info about the executives, which was mentioned last night, is fucked up. But he claims that they released a list recently, so we'll see if that's true.

    I know some people think we should just wipe out the insurance companies completely, but that's not going to happen. One of the reasons being that you have people who like the insurance policies they currently have.

    And I keep hearing people bitch about 'the lack of passion' in his speech. I don't want to hear soaring oratory on this topic. I want the details and facts, which Obama hasn't given enough of.

    And where did I say things were fine with Obama? Because if I thought things were fine then I wouldn't be able to list things I find fault with. The difference is I'm not constantly bitching about everything he does like you and the GOP, which is why I said agenda.

    You made a point that I was giving him a free pass because he was black, and I proved that I wasn't by listing the things he's doing that I don't like.

  9. #69
    Elite Member TheONe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Beantown
    Posts
    5,507

    Default

    Boy this discussion escalated quickly!...I mean, it really got out of hand fast!, It jumped up a notch
    "My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable and I'm just ferocious. I want your heart. I want to eat your children. Praise be to Allah." TEAM MILEY!!

  10. #70
    Elite Member Grimmlok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    In WhoreLand fucking your MOM
    Posts
    55,372

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    Yeah, it's the correct direction, but Obama didn't promise a timetable on it. But his defense in court on that direction is fucked up when weighed against his promises.
    Um no, it's the opposite direction. Enough legal groups have weighed in to confirm it.

    Considering that the cops had no justified reason to arrest Gates, which is why they dropped the charges, then he had every right to comment on it. His comment about the cops was dumb, though.
    Admitting he didnt have all the facts and then commenting on it is dumb, period.

    Of course, Obama's broken campaign promises. He's a politician. Did anybody expect him to keep ALL of them. But he has kept some of them. But, I agree, some of the positions he's taken on certain issues I don't like.
    All of them? no. A majority? Especially the most important ones? Yes. He has not done that.

    Then why were you complaining that he threatened to veto any bills that had funding for the F-22 attached to it if you agree that it's a money pit?
    Um, i didn't. That was in my list of GOOD things he's done.


    A lot of people aren't keen on the idea of single-payer as an option. But he mentioned single payer during his press conference last night. And why shouldn't he meet with the insurance companies and drug companies? Like it or not, they are a part of this equation on healthcare. Because you have to put some regulations on them to keep them from gouging prices and dropping people for no reason.
    Um but that isn't happening.

    If he can get some money out of them, like the money he got from the drug companies to put toward reform then that's not a bad thing. Now, the part about not releasing info about the executives, which was mentioned last night, is fucked up. But he claims that they released a list recently, so we'll see if that's true.
    he got the money out of certain drug companies and did it publicly. This was secretive meetings he won't release details about, nevemind that he campaigned on the promise of transparency too..

    I know some people think we should just wipe out the insurance companies completely, but that's not going to happen. One of the reasons being that you have people who like the insurance policies they currently have.
    Nobody is saying wipe out insurance companies, even in socialist countries the single payer system is augmented by plans you get through work, which are supplied by insurance companies.

    And I keep hearing people bitch about 'the lack of passion' in his speech. I don't want to hear soaring oratory on this topic. I want the details and facts, which Obama hasn't given enough of.
    I want both. I want to see the whole "fierce advocate" i keep hearing a lot about but see very little of.

    And where did I say things were fine with Obama? Because if I thought things were fine then I wouldn't be able to list things I find fault with. The difference is I'm not constantly bitching about everything he does like you and the GOP, which is why I said agenda.
    Funny, most of the stuff I post is from a liberal blog that supported Obama all the way, run by constitutional lawyers and people involved in the DC process for the last 25 years.

    I'm constantly bitching because he's constantly doing stupid shit! He was doing stupid shit even in the election, with that Rick Warren crap and a bunch of other things, and I bitched then too.. but since he's taken office the number of dumb things has escalated in accordance with the uptick in issues he has to deal with as Prez.

    You made a point that I was giving him a free pass because he was black, and I proved that I wasn't by listing the things he's doing that I don't like.
    ... and then go on to say that I have an agenda because im criticizing him WITH CAUSE, labelling it "complaining" when the very things i "complain" about are the same as when Bush was in charge, which you didn't seem to mind.

    So i have to ask, why the difference in opinion if the issues are the exact same and the only inconstant factor is the person in charge?

    Questions, questions.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

  11. #71
    Elite Member kingcap72's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    10 miles from Pootie Tang
    Posts
    21,909

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Um no, it's the opposite direction. Enough legal groups have weighed in to confirm it.
    I was actually agreeing with you that the direction Obama promised was the correct direction.

    Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Admitting he didnt have all the facts and then commenting on it is dumb, period.
    So, a president should never comment on any issue until he has ALL of the facts? Yeah, that's what they all do.

    Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    All of them? no. A majority? Especially the most important ones? Yes. He has not done that.
    He promised a middle class tax cut, which he did. He promise to come up with a timetable for troop draw down in Iraq and to shift the focus to Afghanistan, which he did. And he promised to tackle healthcare, which he's doing now. So, he hasn't broken the majority of his most important promises. That's not to say he hasn't broken any of the important ones, because he has. Especially the transparency one.


    Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Um, i didn't. That was in my list of GOOD things he's done.
    Okay. That was my mistake. I misread that.


    Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Um but that isn't happening.
    I didn't say it was happening now. But it's going to have to happen.

    Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    he got the money out of certain drug companies and did it publicly. This was secretive meetings he won't release details about, nevemind that he campaigned on the promise of transparency too..
    And I agreed on the issue of transparancy or lack there of.


    Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Nobody is saying wipe out insurance companies, even in socialist countries the single payer system is augmented by plans you get through work, which are supplied by insurance companies.

    I want both. I want to see the whole "fierce advocate" i keep hearing a lot about but see very little of...
    I want Obama to take more of a leadership stance on certain issues, too. But just because he hasn't made single payer a key talking point doesn't mean that somehow he's making a half-hearted attempt at reform.


    Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Funny, most of the stuff I post is from a liberal blog that supported Obama all the way, run by constitutional lawyers and people involved in the DC process for the last 25 years.

    I'm constantly bitching because he's constantly doing stupid shit! He was doing stupid shit even in the election, with that Rick Warren crap and a bunch of other things, and I bitched then too.. but since he's taken office the number of dumb things has escalated in accordance with the uptick in issues he has to deal with as Prez.
    Yeah, and I agreed with a lot of what the liberal blogs were saying, and I still do. My problem with some of the liberal blogs is that they expect Obama, like all Dems, to govern from the left, and that's not going to happen. Because no liberal would've gotten elected president, especially during a time of war.

    And if you're expecting him to govern from a liberal perspective, then, yeah, you're not going to agree with most of what he does. Since I don't expect him to govern from a liberal perspective, then I don't need to bitch and complain. Now, when Dubya was president I bitched and complained because he was governing from a conservative perspective, and he was a dumbass.

    .
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    .. and then go on to say that I have an agenda because im criticizing him WITH CAUSE, labelling it "complaining" when the very things i "complain" about are the same as when Bush was in charge, which you didn't seem to mind.

    So i have to ask, why the difference in opinion if the issues are the exact same and the only inconstant factor is the person in charge?

    Questions, questions.
    Oh, you mean like you keep accusing me of giving him a free pass because he's black? Hmm, yeah questions indeed.

    And some of the same issues I disagreed with Bush about I disagree with Obama about, especially on transparency.

  12. #72
    Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Uranus
    Posts
    31,885

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    For me, most of the incident turns on whether Gates really provided ID as soon as he was confronted by the cops. If he did, then the cops should have left the premises at once.

    Even if he refused to provide ID, Gates is kind of an older, meek-looking guy, and doesn't look like the kind of guy who would be up for busting into houses for a living. Also, I would think that there would be family photos strewn around the place that would have had Gates' picture on them. Even without ID, it seems like there would have been a decent possibility for them to figure out he actually belonged in the house.
    He was on the phone when the cop showed up so I think that would tell anyone that he wasn't burglaring the joint. Also, if he was a distinguished looking older white man of 58 would the cop have behaved in the same way? I figure he got mouthy as hell but the cop could have, and should have, just dealt with him as a grumpy old man, not arrested him. Boston-area cops, though, are real pricks.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

    "When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

  13. #73
    Elite Member BITTER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    GUTTED
    Posts
    23,051

    Default

    ^^^^I'm with Gates on this.

  14. #74
    Elite Member kingcap72's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    10 miles from Pootie Tang
    Posts
    21,909

    Default

    Turns out the cop involved is supposedly an expert on racial profiling. All sides were wrong in this situation, though.

    I like how the cop says Obama shouldn't wade into a issue without all of the facts AFTER he arrested somebody in his own home for making comments about his mommy. Didn't know there was a law against that? But I knew Obama was going to have to walk that comment back, though.

    Cop who arrested black scholar is profiling expert

    CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – The white police sergeant accused of racial profiling after he arrested renowned black scholar Henry Louis Gates Jr. in his home was hand-picked by a black police commissioner to teach recruits about avoiding racial profiling.
    Friends and fellow officers — black and white — say Sgt. James Crowley is a principled police officer and family man who is being unfairly described as racist.
    "If people are looking for a guy who's abusive or arrogant, they got the wrong guy," said Andy Meyer, of Natick, who has vacationed with Crowley, coached youth sports with him and is his teammate on a men's softball team. "This is not a racist, rogue cop. This is a fine, upstanding man. And if every cop in the world were like him, it would be a better place."
    Gates accused the 11-year department veteran of being an unyielding, race-baiting authoritarian after Crowley arrested and charged him with disorderly conduct last week.
    Crowley confronted Gates in his home after a woman passing by summoned police for a possible burglary. The sergeant said he arrested Gates after the scholar repeatedly accused him of racism and made derogatory remarks about his mother, allegations the professor challenges. Gates has labeled Crowley a "rogue cop," demanded an apology and said he may sue the police department.
    On Wednesday, President Barack Obama elevated the dispute, when he said Cambridge Police "acted stupidly" during the encounter.
    Obama stepped back on Thursday, telling ABC News, "From what I can tell, the sergeant who was involved is an outstanding police officer, but my suspicion is probably that it would have been better if cooler heads had prevailed."
    Crowley didn't immediately return a phone message left by The Associated Press on Thursday.
    He has said he has no reason to apologize and, on Thursday, told a radio station Obama went too far.
    "I support the president of the United States 110 percent," he told WBZ-AM. "I think he was way off base wading into a local issue without knowing all the facts, as he himself stated before he made that comment."
    The sergeant added: "I guess a friend of mine would support my position, too."
    Cambridge Police Commissioner Robert Haas, in his first public comments on the arrest, said Thursday that Crowley was a decorated officer who followed procedure. The department is putting together an independent panel to review the arrest, but Haas said he did not think the whole story had been told.
    "Sgt. Crowley is a stellar member of this department. I rely on his judgment every day. ... I don't consider him a rogue cop in any way," Haas said. "I think he basically did the best in the situation that was presented to him."
    But Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick, once the top civil rights official in the Clinton administration and now, like Obama, the first black to hold his job, labeled the arrest "every black man's nightmare."
    The governor told reporters: "You ought to be able to raise your voice in your own house without risk of arrest."
    Those who know the 42-year-old Crowley say he is calm, reliable and committed to everyday interests like playing softball and coaching his children's youth teams.
    "He's a guy that you hope shows up for the game because he adds some levity. He's a team guy and he hangs out after the game," said Joe Ranieri, who plays softball with Crowley in suburban Natick.

    Dan Keefe, a town parks official who knows Crowley from his work coaching youth swim, softball, basketball and baseball teams, said: "I would give him my daughter to coach in a blink of an eye, and I can't say any stronger opinion than that."
    Crowley grew up in Cambridge's Fresh Pond neighborhood and attended the city's racially diverse public schools, including Cambridge Rindge and Latin High School. His brothers Jack and Joseph also work for the police department. His third sibling, Daniel, is a Middlesex County deputy sheriff.
    Now married with three children of his own, Crowley lives about 15 miles from the city where he works.
    He joined the Cambridge Police Department about 11 years ago and oversees the evidence room, records unit and paid police details.
    For five of the past six years, Crowley also has volunteered alongside a black colleague in teaching 60 cadets per year about how to avoid targeting suspects merely because of their race, and how to respond to an array of scenarios they might encounter on the beat. Thomas Fleming, director of the Lowell Police Academy, said Crowley was asked by former police Lowell Commissioner Ronny Watson, who is black, to be an instructor.
    "I have nothing but the highest respect for him as a police officer. He is very professional and he is a good role model for the young recruits in the police academy," Fleming said.
    David Holway, president of the International Brotherhood of Police Officers, lives in Cambridge, had a brother on the force there and said Crowley is from a "tremendous family."
    "Everybody in the community loves this guy. All his peers love him," Holway said. "Everyone speaks highly of him."
    Crowley's encounter with Gates was not his first with a high-profile black man, although on the prior occasion he was lauded for his response.
    He was a campus cop at Brandeis University in suburban Waltham when was summoned to the school gymnasium in July 1993 after Boston Celtics player Reggie Lewis collapsed of an apparent heart attack. Crowley, also a trained emergency medical technician, not only pumped the local legend's chest, but put his mouth to Lewis' own and attempted to breathe life back into the fallen athlete. "Looking back on it, he was probably already gone," Crowley said Thursday during an interview with WEEI-AM in Boston. "But I did to him what I would do to anything else in that situation."

  15. #75
    Elite Member witchcurlgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Acerbia
    Posts
    33,677

    Default

    there is also female witness to the incident who is backing the cops story, about Gates being abusive. it's been on most of the major outlets this afternoon.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone


    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.


    If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Cat on Twitter raises nearly $5,000 for charities
    By Honey in forum Pets and Animals
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: April 22nd, 2009, 07:40 PM
  2. Barack Obama defense of James A. Johnson raises questions
    By tkdgirl in forum U.S. Politics and Issues
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: September 19th, 2008, 06:04 PM
  3. Replies: 11
    Last Post: October 31st, 2007, 11:10 AM
  4. Robert Downey, Jr. pulled over; says it's profiling
    By greysfang in forum Gossip Archive
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: May 3rd, 2007, 11:40 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •