Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Black scholar's arrest raises profiling questions

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    commenting at all without all the facts and admitting so makes you a fucking retard.
    And he did admit that he didn't hear all of the facts, JUST LIKE THE REST OF US. That doesn't make him a retard. You think he's a retard for issues unrelated to this one.

For me, most of the incident turns on whether Gates really provided ID as soon as he was confronted by the cops. If he did, then the cops should have left the premises at once.

Even if he refused to provide ID, Gates is kind of an older, meek-looking guy, and doesn't look like the kind of guy who would be up for busting into houses for a living. Also, I would think that there would be family photos strewn around the place that would have had Gates' picture on them. Even without ID, it seems like there would have been a decent possibility for them to figure out he actually belonged in the house.

Elite Member

commenting at all without all the facts and admitting so makes you a fucking retard.
    I don't completely disagree with you on saying this but if you think about it, you're guilty of allowing personal feelings cloud your overall judgment here--just like you're accusing Obama of doing.

I agree with your anger on that issue, FWIW.

.. yes, and again when you comment on something as incendiary as this, especially as THE PRESIDENT while not knowing all the facts (and admitting it!) makes you a complete retard! Nobody in that position should so anything of the sort! It's unpresidential and downright DUMB.

And no, i take his idiocy as it comes. He's done a lot of stupid shit, and a few things that are right.. but it's mostly been stupid shit since he's taken office.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Valley Doll View Post
    I don't completely disagree with you on saying this but if you think about it, you're guilty of allowing personal feelings cloud your overall judgment here--just like you're accusing Obama of doing.

I agree with your anger on that issue, FWIW.

No, I'm not. What personal feelings? I'm not attached to the man. I'm speaking of this very issue, not some other ones.

Stop assuming.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

This is quite interesting..
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Elite Member

I think the issue is not are you black or are you white...it's are you 'blue'. Cops in this country seem to have developed a culture of bullying. For example, the other night we got stopped at a check point. The cop shines his light into our car and 'because he didn't like the look' in my husband's eyes, he pulled him out of the car, breathalized him 4 times, and even after he passed was required to do the field sobriety test another 3 times. What happened to 'absent just cause'? When did we become Nazi Germany? Another example would be...our 45 year old portugese babysitter was driving home. The cop pulls her over going 45 in a 40 mph zone. Now she's here on an expired visa. The cop flat out asks her for a $100 payment or he's going to impound her car. This is in a very affluent suburb of NY.

I hardly think being pulled over is tantamount to living in a genocidal dictatorship.

Grimm, can you imagine being pulled over and not being able to move for fear of being shot. Or being pulled over just because you're a minority.

Nothing like a question from out of left field to elicit some bare-boned truths about policing, race, and stupidity.

President Obama in a televised news conference, billed as an attempt to shore up allied support and win converts for his health care plan, turned to Chicago Sun-Times Washington bureau chief Lynn Sweet for the final question of the evening. Did Ms. Sweet ask about universal health care? The ups and downs of a single-payer system? The heartburn of quaking Blue Dog Democrats over the cost of the Obama plan? Bill Kristol's blinkered, ideological suggestion that Obama's critics on the right sniff the blood and "Go for the Kill?" No.
    She asked about the July 16 arrest of Harvard Professor Henry Louis Gates, Jr.

By now, most know the facts. Last Thursday, the professor, just returned from China, cabbed from Logan International to his Cambridge home. Finding himself keyless, he stood on the porch of his lovely house and, with black taxi driver looking on, jimmied the door lock. Which prompted a neighbor to summon the cops. Who showed up after Professor Gates ("Skip" to his friend, the president) had worked his way into the living room. Words were exchanged, identification shown, an arrest made.

That's right. Gates, who must have been beat and irritable from the long return flight, was busted. In his own home. By a white cop. For "disorderly conduct."
    And what, Ms. Sweet wanted to know, did the president think about all this?

Acknowledging that he wasn't there, and that he was relying on "reports" of the incident, Obama proceeded to label the "Cambridge police," not the arresting officer, "stupid." He went on to give voice to what was in the hearts and on the lips of many black citizens (and all other Americans who give a damn about human rights and civil liberties), namely that race was a factor here.

In my memory, only one other U.S. president ever made such a strong statement about police racism. In the aftermath of the Amadou Diallo police shooting in New York City, President Clinton condemned the actions of NYPD officers and asserted that Diallo would still be alive today were he white rather than black.

Now, was it Obama's turn. I wish he hadn't used the word stupid. I wish he hadn't, in effect and however inadvertently, accused the whole police force of stupidity. Even raging critics of the institution will occasionally concede: There are more than a few fine, sensitive and caring cops who perform a critical function in society. Cops who are far from stupid.

But what of Clinton's point? Would the Cambridge police officer who busted the renowned, revered professor in his own home done the same if the academic had been white? I don't believe so, not for a minute.

Which is why, however imperfectly he may have expressed it, President Obama did the cause of improved community-police relations a huge service by pulling no punches this evening. Young, less poised and polished, less well off black Americans than Henry Louis Gates, Jr. or Barack Obama just might benefit from the president's "stupid" remark.
    Norm Stamper: Obama vs. Cambridge Police: Stupid Is as Stupid Does?
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

No, I'm not. What personal feelings? I'm not attached to the man. I'm speaking of this very issue, not some other ones.

Stop assuming.
    Nobody's making an assumption, Grim. Your posts in this thread reflect ALL of your posts lately about Obama. On any subject.

If you're not starting threads complaining about Obama, you're looking for any excuse to call him failbama, like you've done in this thread. So, how is that not your personal feelings?

Stop assuming.
    You've expressed extreme disappointment with Obama on other issues here....you have made no bones about your disapproval of him, which is fine, but don't tell me that you are looking at this incident with a clear and unbiased POV. I don't buy it at all.

Elite Member

Stop assuming.
    OK,

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    Nobody's making an assumption, Grim. Your posts in this thread reflect ALL of your posts lately about Obama. On any subject.
    Well golly gee, maybe it';s because he's done a lot of stupid things lately? It's not coming out of thin air. It doesn't happen in a vacuum.

If you're not starting threads complaining about Obama, you're looking for any excuse to call him failbama, like you've done in this thread. So, how is that not your personal feelings?
    LOL i see, posting legitimate articles on how he's broken a number of campaign promises is somehow "complaining", but when I did it about Bush it was just fine. Hell, I'm even calling him out on his CONTINUATION of Bush era policies.. but that's somehow complaining. When it was Bush, it was alright but now that its a brutha doing it, i'm sposed to stfu? Wtf are you smoking?

K. I think the whole race thing is clouding your mind. Seriously. It's like "black guy in office = off limits" even when he clearly does something wrong that's patently observable.

Secondly,. I call him that when he does something boneheaded or wrong. I don't need an "excuse", just a REASON which he handily provides every few days.

Hell, most of his staff is just as moronic, but they arent the ones up there making dumb public comments, aside from his spokesbitch Gibbs who is just a blithering nitwit.

Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    You've expressed extreme disappointment with Obama on other issues here....you have made no bones about your disapproval of him, which is fine, but don't tell me that you are looking at this incident with a clear and unbiased POV. I don't buy it at all.
    I disapprove of THINGS HE DOES, not him as a person. Try to separate the man from his actions like I do.

And yes, I am looking at it from an unbiased point of view. I illustrated quite clearly how and why it was stupid of him to make that comment.

I disapprove of THINGS HE DOES, not him as a person. Try to separate the man from his actions like I do.

And yes, I am looking at it from an unbiased point of view. I illustrated quite clearly how and why it was stupid of him to make that comment.
    Thanks for proving my point.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread Information