Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 156

Thread: Black scholar's arrest raises profiling questions

  1. #31
    Elite Member BITTER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    GUTTED
    Posts
    23,051

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by purple rain View Post
    Ohio.com - Akron police investigate teen mob attack on family

    The incident happened in Akron, Ohio.

    50 teens attacked a family of six, yelling "This is a black world. This is our world."

    They are investigating whether it was a hate crime. IMO, if white teens had done this to a black family, hate crime charges would have already been filed.
    I agree - hate crime charges SHOULD be filed. This is ghastly.

  2. #32
    Silver Member gardenofeve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Centre of the Universe Canada
    Posts
    549

    Default

    Sadly, it's happened here too. Cops were profiling a letter carrier. Let there be no mistake, these guys are well identified, you can't miss them.

    Fortunately though the cop was spanked. He needed an ass whooping, but I'll take this.

    TheStar.com | GTA | Police condemned for profiling of letter carrier

  3. #33
    Elite Member TheONe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Beantown
    Posts
    5,507

    Default

    Oh and for the record President Obama should NOT have commented on this case already.
    "My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable and I'm just ferocious. I want your heart. I want to eat your children. Praise be to Allah." TEAM MILEY!!

  4. #34
    Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Uranus
    Posts
    31,885

    Default

    Here's a fairly unbiased report on the incident. I think the police over-reacted, particularly knowing what the coppers are like in Boston/Cambridge. The dude was in his house making a phone call. I think the copper just didn't like being asked for his name and badge number. Boston/Cambridge cops are funny like that.


    NATICK, Mass. A white police sergeant accused of racism after he arrested renowned black scholar Henry Louis Gates Jr. at his home insisted Wednesday he won't apologize for his treatment of the Harvard professor, but President Barack Obama said police had acted "stupidly."

    Gates has demanded an apology from Sgt. James Crowley, who had responded to the home near Harvard University to investigate a report of a burglary and demanded the scholar show him identification. Police say Gates at first refused and then accused the officer of racism.

    Gates said Crowley walked into his home without his permission and only arrested him as the professor followed him to the porch, repeatedly demanding the sergeant's name and badge number because he was unhappy over his treatment.

    Obama, during a prime-time news conference, said Wednesday he didn't know what role race played in the incident but added that police in Cambridge, a city neighboring Boston, "acted stupidly" in arresting Gates even after he offered proof that he was in his own home.

    "I think it's fair to say, number one, any of us would be pretty angry," Obama said. "Number two, that the Cambridge police acted stupidly in arresting somebody when there was already proof that they were in their own home. And number three what I think we know separate and apart from this incident is that there is a long history in this country of African-Americans and Latinos being stopped by law enforcement disproportionately, and that's just a fact."

    He said federal officials need to continue working with local law enforcement "to improve policing techniques so that we're eliminating potential bias."

    Crowley said Wednesday he's disappointed by the heated national debate triggered by the incident and insisted he followed proper procedures in arresting Gates last week on a charge of disorderly conduct. The charge was dropped Tuesday.

    Officers were responding to the home Gates rents from Harvard after a woman reported seeing "two black males with backpacks" trying to force open the front door, according to a police report. Gates, who had returned from a trip overseas with a driver, said he had to shove the door open because it was jammed. He was inside, calling the company that manages the property, when police arrived.
    Story continues below

    Gates was accused by police of "tumultuous" behavior toward the officers. But Gates countered by saying Crowley was clearly responding to racial profiling and "couldn't understand a black man standing up for his rights, right in his face."

    In a region with a tortured racial history, two overarching arguments have emerged about the incident. Police supporters charge that Gates, director of Harvard's W.E.B. Du Bois Institute for African and African American Research, was responsible for his own arrest by overreacting. Those sympathetic to Gates counter that the officer should have defused the situation and left the home as soon as he established that Gates was the resident, not a burglar.

    Crowley said he's grateful he has the support of his police force. He said he's not worried about any possible disciplinary action.

    "There will be no apology," he said outside his home Wednesday.

    Cambridge police and the police officers' union have declined to comment.

    But there was plenty of blame being spread around by the public, through talk shows, blogs, newspaper online forums and water cooler chats. Even the hosts of a sports radio show in Boston spent much of Wednesday morning faulting Gates.

    Gov. Deval Patrick, who is black, said he was troubled and upset over the incident. Cambridge Mayor Denise Simmons, who also is black, has said she spoke with Gates and apologized on behalf of the city, and a statement from the city called the July 16 incident "regrettable and unfortunate."

    What happened between Gates and Crowley at the professor's home remains in dispute.

    Police say Gates yelled at the officer, accused him of racial bias and refused to calm down after the officer demanded Gates show him identification to prove he lived there. Gates denies that he yelled at the officer, other than to repeatedly ask his name and badge number, and he says he readily turned over his driver's license and Harvard ID to prove his residence and identity.

    Gates said he was "outraged" by the arrest, wants an apology from Crowley and would use the experience to help make a documentary about racial profiling in the United States.

    "This isn't about me, this is about the vulnerability of black men in America," Gates said.

    He said the incident made him realize how vulnerable poor people and minorities are "to capricious forces like a rogue policeman, and this man clearly was a rogue policeman."

    Gates' supporters cite Boston's history as a city plagued by racism as an underlying reason why this could still happen to an esteemed scholar, at midday, in his own home.

    "That stain on this city as far as persons of color are concerned is a real one," television and radio commentator Callie Crossley said.

    She recalled the case of Charles Stuart, who caused a citywide manhunt in 1989, when he said a hooded black man shot him and his pregnant wife as they got into their car. The wife died, and Stuart eventually was labeled the killer, but not before a black man arrested on unrelated charges became the prime suspect.

    Stuart committed suicide the next year by jumping off a bridge.

    Perhaps nothing epitomizes Boston's struggle with race relations better than the Pulitzer Prize-winning photograph taken during the uproar over forced busing of public school students in the 1970s. The photo shows a white man swinging a large pole with an American flag at a black man during a protest against the desegregation plan at City Hall.

    Black students and professors at Harvard have complained for years about racial profiling by Cambridge and campus police. Harvard commissioned an independent committee last year to examine the university's race relations after campus police confronted a young black man who was using tools to remove a bike lock. The man worked at Harvard and owned the bike.

    Michele Lamont, a sociology and African-American studies professor at Harvard, said she understood why Gates reacted angrily to the police officer in his home given that larger history of confrontations with police as well as his own.

    "Certainly when someone like Gates finds himself in this situation, he has in mind this baggage," Lamont said.

    Crossley said many people criticizing Gates for overreacting or for losing his cool have never been profiled by authorities because of their race.

    Richard Weinblatt, director of the Institute for Public Safety at Central Ohio Technical College, said the police sergeant was responsible for defusing the situation once he realized Gates was the lawful occupant. It is not against the law to yell at police, especially in a home, as long as that behavior does not affect an investigation, he said.

    "That is part of being a police officer in a democratic society," Weinblatt said. "The point is that the police sergeant needs to be the bigger person, take the higher road, be more professional."http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/07/22/james-crowley-policeman-w_n_243262.html
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

    "When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

  5. #35
    Elite Member BITTER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    GUTTED
    Posts
    23,051

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheONe View Post
    Oh and for the record President Obama should NOT have commented on this case already.
    Yes he should have; he's close friends with Gates, as he said, so of course he should have said something and I am glad that he did.

  6. #36
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,764

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    Yes he should have; he's close friends with Gates, as he said, so of course he should have said something and I am glad that he did.
    I'm glad he said something, too. There are a lot of people of all races who have been lulled into a false sense of finality when it comes to racial/ethnic stereotypes because a black man is now our President. These stereotypes have taken centuries to create and won't end simply because President Obama is in the White House.

  7. #37
    Elite Member TheONe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Beantown
    Posts
    5,507

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    Yes he should have; he's close friends with Gates, as he said, so of course he should have said something and I am glad that he did.
    i just think that it's too early to comment until the case has gotten more on course. Just my opinion.
    "My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable and I'm just ferocious. I want your heart. I want to eat your children. Praise be to Allah." TEAM MILEY!!

  8. #38
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,764

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheONe View Post
    i just think that it's too early to comment until the case has gotten more on course. Just my opinion.
    To be fair, President Obama did emphasize that he didn't have all the facts. To that end, I can see your point. But Gates is a friend and Obama's comments were influenced by that. I would have done something similiar.

  9. #39
    Elite Member BITTER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    GUTTED
    Posts
    23,051

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Valley Doll View Post
    I'm glad he said something, too. There are a lot of people of all races who have been lulled into a false sense of finality when it comes to racial/ethnic stereotypes because a black man is now our President. These stereotypes have taken centuries to create and won't end simply because President Obama is in the White House.
    Quote Originally Posted by Valley Doll View Post
    To be fair, President Obama did emphasize that he didn't have all the facts. To that end, I can see your point. But Gates is a friend and Obama's comments were influenced by that. I would have done something similiar.
    Exactly. And it's a hot-button topic, an incident that happened to a high-profile college professor who is a friend of the president. Of course he had to say something. I think he could have risked alienating some of his constituency by taking a total "no comment" stance.

  10. #40
    Elite Member Grimmlok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    In WhoreLand fucking your MOM
    Posts
    55,372

    Default

    he made a serious mistake when he called the police action "stupid" without waiting for all the facts.

    Way to denigrate a police force before knowing everything, failbama strikes again
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

  11. #41
    Elite Member *DIVA!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    15,742

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    he made a serious mistake when he called the police action "stupid" without waiting for all the facts.

    Way to denigrate a police force before knowing everything, failbama strikes again
    I don't think he should have said anything so soon, but they are notorious for crap like this... Racial profiling can fuck a person up mentally. But, the police were just doing their jobs..
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

    I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

  12. #42
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,764

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    Exactly. And it's a hot-button topic, an incident that happened to a high-profile college professor who is a friend of the president. Of course he had to say something. I think he could have risked alienating some of his constituency by taking a total "no comment" stance.
    Not to mention that the incident happened shortly after Obama's speech to the NAACP. It's the wrong attitude to have, but I imagine a lot of blacks would have been ready to smack down Obama if he didn't say anything.

    NOT that I think their short-sighted opinions influenced his comments, but some folks take this whole 'our' president thing too far. If you're a US citizen of any color, he's YOUR president. No one group gets to claim him as their own.

  13. #43
    Elite Member Wiseguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    3,201

    Default

    he made a serious mistake when he called the police action "stupid" without waiting for all the facts.

    Way to denigrate a police force before knowing everything, failbama strikes again
    Agree.

  14. #44
    Elite Member Little Wombat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,616

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    he made a serious mistake when he called the police action "stupid" without waiting for all the facts.

    Way to denigrate a police force before knowing everything, failbama strikes again
    I disagree. Just because you point out something one policeman does wrong, doesn't mean you're accusing a whole police force of doing something wrong.
    "Oh! I've been looking for a red suede pump!"
    - Marie (Carrie Fisher), When Harry Met Sally

  15. #45
    Elite Member Grimmlok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    In WhoreLand fucking your MOM
    Posts
    55,372

    Default

    commenting at all without all the facts and admitting so makes you a fucking retard.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Cat on Twitter raises nearly $5,000 for charities
    By Honey in forum Pets and Animals
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: April 22nd, 2009, 07:40 PM
  2. Barack Obama defense of James A. Johnson raises questions
    By tkdgirl in forum U.S. Politics and Issues
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: September 19th, 2008, 06:04 PM
  3. Replies: 11
    Last Post: October 31st, 2007, 11:10 AM
  4. Robert Downey, Jr. pulled over; says it's profiling
    By greysfang in forum Gossip Archive
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: May 3rd, 2007, 11:40 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •