Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Black scholar's arrest raises profiling questions

A report that I saw this morning said that he was inside his home when the police arrived. Funny, how so many white men have said if it were them, the police would've offered to help them...

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Quote Originally Posted by *DIVA! View Post
    A report that I saw this morning said that he was inside his home when the police arrived. Funny, how so many white men have said if it were them, the police would've offered to help them...
    Maybe he wouldn't have been offended and assume it was racial profiling if the policeman had been black...It looks like they both over-reacted and were simulteanously victims and guilty of racial prejudice

Quote Originally Posted by lalala View Post
    Maybe he wouldn't have been offended and assume it was racial profiling if the policeman had been black...It looks like they both over-reacted and were simulteanously victims and guilty of racial prejudice
    I see everyone's points here, and I agree both sides could've done better but in a way I completely understand him taking offense at being treated like a criminal or with suspicion in the first place. He's not some average ordinary joe, he's an older and distinguished scholar and professor, highly influential and much respected (he was chosen as one of the most important/influential thinkers by one media outlet). The last thing he should be worried about is being questioned by the police as if he was a criminal breaking into a house.

Yes I understand the police were responding to the info they were given, but I also understand his mindset and why he would be upset given the circumstances. I'm not saying he was right in his actions and words, but I certainly know where he was coming from.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

this happens all the fucking time in l.a., the sad part is that if this were in l.a.; he'd have been shot. so many black males have been shot and killed especially in the city of Inglewood w/in like 2 years or not even. its pathetic.

in these cases, I rarely believe the cops side of the story, i know criminals lie too, but cops are criminals too only they have authority.

a Black postal worker was shot and killed by Inglewood PD here not that long ago and of course he answered the door with a gun when police arrived (to the wrong apartment no less) at a strange hour during the night. he might not have even had that gun, thats just the cops side of the story. of course they shoot to kill 1st, ask questions later.
    Last edited by AliceInWonderland; July 22nd, 2009 at 03:20 PM.

I was shocked they asked Obama about this at the press conference. He gave a good answer on it, but he's going to catch some heat for saying the Cambridge police 'acted stupidly' even though they did. I can hear Rush, Fox News & the GOP now 'Obama hates the police!'

Well, I know for a fact that driving while black on I-95 happens, not only to black males.

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

He should come to Philly to take his mind off of his troubles. I know a suburban swim club he could use.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Little Wombat View Post
    I definitely think it's evidence of systemic or pervasive social racism --> that if you see a black man slamming his weight into a front door, he must be trying to rob the place. I mean, to clearly jump to this conclusion right away is just proof that racial stereotypes still exist in our culture.
    I would call the police if I saw a person of any race trying to break into a house. I'm not sure what time of the day this incident occured. Maybe it was dark and the woman who called the cops didn't recognize Mr. Gates. I'd rather have a neighbor who made the effort to call the police than one who didn't.

I think calling this incident "racial profiling" or "racism" is really stretching it. Mr. Gates was arrested because of his treatment of the law enforcement officers. If Mr. Gates had cooperated with the law enforcement officers and treated them with respect, he would not have been arrested. He has no one to blame but himself.

A white family in Ohio was targeted because of their race & beaten by a group of black teens a few weeks ago. Would the media ever report an incident like that? No, because it's not "politically correct." Yet, we hear about this professor and the children in Philadelphia. The coverage is so blatently biased.
    Last edited by purple rain; July 22nd, 2009 at 10:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by purple rain View Post
    I would call the police if I saw a person of any race trying to break into a house. I'm not sure what time of the day this incident occured. Maybe it was dark and the woman who called the cops didn't recognize Mr. Gates. I'd rather have a neighbor who made the effort to call the police than one who didn't.

I think calling this incident "racial profiling" or "racism" is really stretching it. Mr. Gates was arrested because of his treatment of the law enforcement officers. If Mr. Gates had cooperated with the law enforcement officers and treated them with respect, he would not have been arrested. He has no one to blame but himself.

A white family in Ohio was targeted because of their race & beaten by a group of black teens a few weeks ago. Would the media ever report an incident like that? No, because it's not "politically correct." Yet, we hear about this beligerant professor being arrested because of his disorderly conduct and the kids in Philadelphia being turned away from the swimming pool that couldn't accomodate all of them. The coverage is so blatently biased.
    Did the white family in question file a complaint? Where did this incident happen? I think the media does spotlight on white-on-black hate crimes because statistically they do happen more often.

And I don't think it's stretching it when the police do have a rep in most major US cities of racial profiling. Maybe once ALL of the facts come out, it could be different, but I totally understand where Mr. Gates is coming from.

I'm sorry you disagree.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    Did the white family in question file a complaint? Where did this incident happen? I think the media does spotlight on white-on-black hate crimes because statistically they do happen more often.
    Ohio.com - Akron police investigate teen mob attack on family

The incident happened in Akron, Ohio.

50 teens attacked a family of six, yelling "This is a black world. This is our world."

They are investigating whether it was a hate crime. IMO, if white teens had done this to a black family, hate crime charges would have already been filed.

And I don't think it's stretching it when the police do have a rep in most major US cities of racial profiling. Maybe once ALL of the facts come out, it could be different, but I totally understand where Mr. Gates is coming from.

I'm sorry you disagree.
    I would be angry if police questioned me in my own home as well. But at the same time, I would recognize that they are just doing their duty.

I can understand why Mr. Gates was angry, but he did not react well to the situation. If he had immediately shown them his ID, the police would have left and it would have been the end of the incident.

A white family in Ohio was targeted because of their race & beaten by a group of black teens a few weeks ago. Would the media ever report an incident like that? No, because it's not "politically correct." Yet, we hear about this professor and the children in Philadelphia. The coverage is so blatently biased.
    Wait a minute. Gates could've handle the situation a little better, but the cops were wrong in this situation, too. True, they did their jobs and were investigating a report of a potential crime, but once he provided proof that it was his home, that should've been the end of it.

And what exactly did he do to the cops that warranted his arrest? Because it must not have been too bad if they released him and dropped the charges.

There are double standards when it comes to race in this country on both sides. A friend of mine, who is a white female, jumped out of her car and started shouting and yelling at a cop after he gave her a bullshit ticket. I told her that she was lucky that she was white, because if she had been black or Hispanic she would've either gotten shot or beat up.

I would be angry if police questioned me in my own home as well. But at the same time, I would recognize that they are just doing their duty.

I can understand why Mr. Gates was angry, but he did not react well to the situation. If he had immediately shown them his ID, the police would have left and it would have been the end of the incident.
    I'm guessing you're a white woman and not a black male, so the two situations wouldn't go down precisely the same way with the cops. I know from personal experience.

And he did show them his I.D. and they still didn't leave, so that probably wouldn't have changed if he had done it immediately. I had a cop stop me years ago because he saw me walking out of my parents condo, and when I showed him my I.D. that proved I lived there he started asking me 'how long have you lived there.' I told him, and his response was 'I don't remember seeing you there.' I told him that wasn't my problem, got my I.D. and went on my way.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Naturally. Racial leech.

Anyway, the guy was trying to break into a house near Harward and then got belligerent with police?

Uh, they'll arrest anybody doing that, retard.
    I'm not sure you'd say that if you'd ever lived around there. The whole episode is a joke. Cambridge police are notoriously racist.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by buttmunch View Post
    I'm not sure you'd say that if you'd ever lived around there. The whole episode is a joke. Cambridge police are notoriously racist.
    I work in Boston although I live closer to the cape and trust me I've seen the blatant racial profiling. I'm not in Cambridge much and haven't really heard much about he police there but I have been in cars with friends who are not white and trust me we have been pulled over for no reason at all. The police pull out behind there car and follow them for several minutes before pulling them over...the best is when they told my friend that the light the illuminates his license plate was out as a reason for the pull over. When he as to check it out they told him to not worry about it now and just make sure that he has it taken care of the next....and surprise, surprise when he went to get it taken care of the next day it was working just fine...now mind you this was in a small town closer to the Cape but it happens everywhere. I couldn't believe how bad it can be....how much of a pain in the butt it must be.
    "My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable and I'm just ferocious. I want your heart. I want to eat your children. Praise be to Allah." TEAM MILEY!!

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information