Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Black people "should get over" slavery says legislator

It has to do with the State's giving up their first initial rights as to being self-governing.

And since they couldn't better organize themselves, they gave their initial rights up to an executive branch, which is what we suffer with so much today.

Shyeah, but what a patchwork of insanity the US would be if each state was self governing to a much larger degree.. there would be no cohesion at all.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

I totally agree with you on that. I think that I understand what you complain about so much, but I can't explain it right now. lol

Well the "average" black person is over it..it's THOSE OTHER ones..that aren't..but..I won't go and say what those people are...Who really cares slavery is over blah blah, there's still racism there always will be...can't we just move on get over it, and not use it as an excuse to be a piece of shit?
    Life will break you. Nobody can protect you from that, and living alone won't either, for solitude will also break you with its yearning. You have to love. You have to feel. Horrible isn't it? It makes you so vulnerable.

Quote Originally Posted by JamieElizabeth View Post
    It has to do with the State's giving up their first initial rights as to being self-governing.

And since they couldn't better organize themselves, they gave their initial rights up to an executive branch, which is what we suffer with so much today.
    Thank you. It's a little irritating when people water down the complexity of the civil war into a slavery-only issue. And btw, I grew up in the south & was never indoctrinated into learning all the generals & battles, etc. Spent a few weeks devoted to it in 8th grade history class & moved on. If you held a gun to my head & told me to name a single civil war general besides Lee, you'd have to pull the trigger.

About the topic at hand, I like crumpet's response, and I too hope that the guy doesn't cave & start bobbing & bowing & wearing hair shirts & flagellating himself because of the shame of being politically incorrect. Thank God for the US & right to speak up & be seen for the insensitive asshole you really are.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

... hair shirts?

*blink*
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    See, I'm of two minds about this.

1) Nobody alive today in the US from African stock has ever been subject to slavery in the formal sense. Many older examples did, however, live through a form of apartheid in the south.. riding the back of the bus and so on.

2) Blaming modern issues on past slavery has become something of a crutch... overused and played out. Everything now is a result of said oppression in the past, it's all whitey's fault (and to a degree racism does still exist in society, but that degree varies from place to place), and the race card is pulled out way too often.

so. How do you separate the official racism and resultant societal degeneration from past slavery from the trumped up, race-card, blame-everything-on-whitey nonsense?
    I couldn't agree more!!!!! I am so tired of some black people thinking we owe them something because of something white people did to black people years ago.
    Some black people act like they have it so bad and are still held back but look at all the black celebs, black sport stars, etc. They have just as much going for them as any other race.

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

I understand that people of any race cannot help being born poor. What chaps my ass is when they voluntarily do everything under the sun to make sure that they stay poor such as dropping out of school, getting knocked up at age 14 and ,of course, keeping the baby, then getting on welfare and continuing to have more children. I dare anyone to do that to themselves and blame anyone else.

^ Yeah, I agree. I think it should be mandatory that anyone receiving welfare should have to take a drug test and pass it. I am sure that would knock welfare payments down by more half!

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

Yeah....I didn't even mention drugs, lol!

Ok there have been some good points made here first of all slavery was over and done with long ago and we shouldn't have to appologize for something we didn't do. I am from the south but as far as I can tell my family never had money therefore we never had slaves, my family also has a lot of native american blood and quite frankly I don't want a damn apology from someone who wasn't alive while my family members where being slaughtered. I'm also a woman and I've worked in places where i made less money doing the same damn job as a man and training the men to do there jobs might I add and I don't bitch or throw a law suit. Now as to how us stupid southerners can't forget the civil war no we don't because we are proud of the fact we stood up and fought against big government slavery was not the only issue, and there were whites and blacks who fought for the Confederacy and we celebrate both. No we don't spend the entire school years of our lives learning about it we may have spent one six weeks session during junior high on the civil war. I'm not racist I never have been nor will I tolerate racism but just so you know judging someone by where they live is just as ignorant

NO. HE. DI-INT!!

I'm not black, but even I'm kind of offended by that. Unnecessarily insensitive to say the least. Crazy old coot.

Quote Originally Posted by greeneyedbeauty View Post
    I couldn't agree more!!!!! I am so tired of some black people thinking we owe them something because of something white people did to black people years ago.
    Some black people act like they have it so bad and are still held back but look at all the black celebs, black sport stars, etc. They have just as much going for them as any other race.
    Are you saying that The Struggle is over because we now have rich black celebrities like Oprah and Bill Cosby? Are you saying that racism no longer exists based on this fact? How asinine!

I don't see what The Big Deal is if a state wants to publicly apologize for its past transgressions. Anybody who is strongly anti-apology is, quite frankly, probably a racist themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy View Post
    The newspaper also quoted him as saying, "are we going to force the Jews to apologize for killing Christ?"
    Unless I am mistaken, it was the Romans that killed Jeebus, n'est ce pas?

Quote Originally Posted by crumpet View Post
    I don't see what the rest of us apologizing could possibly hurt.
    That's not the point. Why do people even want or value half assed apologies anyway?
    Nobody wants or values a half-assed apology. Are you suggesting that the state in question is only offering a half-assed apology?? Omniscience sure must be nice.

How do you feel about a GENUINE apology, crumpet? Would that be ok?

I'm glad you get it, cynic. I'm glad you recognize that all a public apology does is inform the world that you have sympathy and compassion for those that were oppressed and for those that may still be suffering the consequences this many years later. Cuz, guess what: THE RAMIFICATIONS OF THE SLAVE INDUSTRY (yes, goddammit, it was a fucking INDUSTRY, lest ye forget) ARE STILL FELT TO THIS DAY IN MANY, MANY PARTS OF THE US. Generations upon generations have been indoctrinated (Jim Crow laws sure didn't help), and it'll take many more generations to overcome that AS A NATION.

You know, its funny... has Africa gotten over slavery yet? Differing tribes would sell captured warriors and whole villages into bondage to european slavers.

Are they still feeling the effects?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information