Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Black lawmaker wants paid Confederate holiday

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie View Post
    Some of you need to read your history books again. The confederate soldiers did not fight solely for the ownership of slaves. Their main fight was to declare their independence and to remain Confederate States.

Slavery was just as big in the north as it was in the south. Hell, who do you think started selling them to the Hillbillies in the South....you got it....the yankee's from the north.

I don't see the problem with it being a holiday. People act like we need to learn from history, but the second you bring up something that hurt great, great, great, great, great grandpappy, that you never even knew, the argument gets changed.

What I think is a little over the top is Black History Month. Really, is a month needed? I get tired of my tv programs being interrupted by a big ass banner for a solid month.
    Are you serious? Maybe you should go back and reread a history book and put down that copy of Gone With The Wind. The primary reason why the South wanted to break free was because of the North's push to end slavery after the industrial revolution started. Southerners wanted to maintain that way of life and didn't like the North trying to tell them what to do.

And slavery wasn't as big in the North as it was in the South, primarly because there weren't dozens of gigantic plantations that needed to be worked. Now, that's not to say that the North were a bunch of saints, far from it. But slavery wasn't as big because there wasn't a need for the number of slaves that the South had. And the fact that the North wasn't fighting to maintain slavery while the South was stresses the point that the South needed slavery more.

And why should the Confederacy get a holiday? They lost the war. As for Black History Month, there wouldn't be a need for Black History Month, Women's History Month, etc if our educational system was more inclusive and balanced when talking about history.

and canada comes out smellin like a rose in that scenario

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCy-c4EQVWQ[/YOUTUBE]

*giggles*
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Some of you need to read your history books again. The confederate soldiers did not fight solely for the ownership of slaves. Their main fight was to declare their independence and to remain Confederate States.

Slavery was just as big in the north as it was in the south. Hell, who do you think started selling them to the Hillbillies in the South....you got it....the yankee's from the north.

I don't see the problem with it being a holiday. People act like we need to learn from history, but the second you bring up something that hurt great, great, great, great, great grandpappy, that you never even knew, the argument gets changed.

What I think is a little over the top is Black History Month. Really, is a month needed? I get tired of my tv programs being interrupted by a big ass banner for a solid month.
    Reality is always more entertaining that fiction. ^Funny stuff.

Someone needs to read history and find out why the Confederacy fought for more state control. The answer is seven letters, the first is S, the last is Y. After that guy was elected in 1860, oh what's his name, you know the log cabin dude from Illinois, the southern states were ticked because his party didn't want the the spread of, let's not call it slavery because that isn't what it was obviously, let's call it, use of a free involuntary labor force, to expand.

If you don't want to celebrate it, find something else to do. Campaign for March to be Negro History Recovery month. That should distract you from banners.

I don't hear you complaining about the two months that everyone advertises during Christmas, which isn't even a Christian holiday, but I doubt you would know that history considering your post.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    Are you serious? Maybe you should go back and reread a history book and put down that copy of Gone With The Wind. The primary reason why the South wanted to break free was because of the North's push to end slavery after the industrial revolution started. Southerners wanted to maintain that way of life and didn't like the North trying to tell them what to do.

And slavery wasn't as big in the North as it was in the South, primarly because there weren't dozens of gigantic plantations that needed to be worked. Now, that's not to say that the North were a bunch of saints, far from it. But slavery wasn't as big because there wasn't a need for the number of slaves that the South had. And the fact that the North wasn't fighting to maintain slavery while the South was stresses the point that the South needed slavery more.

And why should the Confederacy get a holiday? They lost the war. As for Black History Month, there wouldn't be a need for Black History Month, Women's History Month, etc if our educational system was more inclusive and balanced when talking about history.
    Slavery was not the only reason for the Civil war. It started out over political matters. The economy, states rights and slavery were other aspects, too.

Also, just because the north didn't use slaves after 1820, didn't mean they didn't still sale them to the south, which was just as bad as housing them

Black History isn't taught? King come on. It's all you hear about the month of February.

Oh and Revel, I see you want to stand up for the blacks, but God forbid someone mentions a gay. Oh and btw, if you haven't seen me bitch about the 2 months of Christmas celebrations, then you don't read my posts, because I HATE Christmas.

And try telling a kid in school not to celebrate it if they don't want too, they will receive an "F" on the weekly reports during Black History month. So, it's not just that simple.

Slavery was not the only reason for the Civil war. It started out over political matters. The economy, states rights and slavery were other aspects, too.

Also, just because the north didn't use slaves after 1820, didn't mean they didn't still sale them to the south, which was just as bad as housing them

Black History isn't taught? King come on. It's all you hear about the month of February.

Oh and Revel, I see you want to stand up for the blacks, but God forbid someone mentions a gay. Oh and btw, if you haven't seen me bitch about the 2 months of Christmas celebrations, then you don't read my posts, because I HATE Christmas.
    And why do you think that's all you hear about in February? If it was taught on a regular basis then you wouldn't need a Black History Month.

And slavery was a key issue for the South in the Civil War, which is why the South had to be dragged kicking and screaming into the 20th century during the Civil Rights era. The South had never gotten over losing it's 'way of life,' which is why you see some Southerners clinging to the glory of the Confederacy. As for the black lawmaker pushing for a holiday, he's got issues.

The South fucking lost. They don't deserve a holiday. The "states rights" shit was their excuse to continue slavery. What's next? A holiday to celebrate Jim Crow? Or segregation?

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    And why do you think that's all you hear about in February? If it was taught on a regular basis then you wouldn't need a Black History Month.

And slavery was a key issue for the South in the Civil War, which is why the South had to be dragged kicking and screaming into the 20th century during the Civil Rights era. The South had never gotten over losing it's 'way of life,' which is why you see some Southerners clinging to the glory of the Confederacy. As for the black lawmaker pushing for a holiday, he's got issues.
    King, I know slavery played a major part, but it wasn't the only reason.
    I just get tired of everyone forgetting all the other aspects of the war.

Don't remind them Confederacy supporters the south lost. You will kill the hopes of those who think the south shall rise again.

War is hardly ever about just one thing people. The Confederacy wasn't just about slavery. Sorry, but it wasn't.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

interesting how the cracker southerners (sorry texas, yer the south too) are all "it wasnt only about slavery" while the colored folk are all "yes it was"

*watches from the sidelines, pops popcorn*
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

King, I know slavery played a major part, but it wasn't the only reason.
    I just get tired of everyone forgetting all the other aspects of the war.
    I know slavery wasn't the only part. But it was a major reason why the South was willing to fight the Civil War.

Now, write an essay about 'What Black History Month means to You."

Quote Originally Posted by RevellingInSane View Post
    Don't remind them Confederacy supporters the south lost. You will kill the hopes of those who think the south shall rise again.
    It has ever fallen to me. I love the south. Fuck the north and their cold ass winters.
    King, can I write it about YOU?

I don't think even black people believe it was ALL about slavery. Was that a big/major factor? fuck yeah.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Oh the South fell like a little bitch and then peed its frilly panties. It never got back up after that, which is why they're all welfare states with high divorce rates

mwahahaaha!

It has ever fallen to me. I love the south. Fuck the north and their cold ass winters.
    King, can I write it about YOU?
    Yeah, you can call it 'Why King should be the 45th president.'

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information