Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is this the beginning of the end of America?

well another genesis of this issue that is that salaries have not kept pace with the price of anything.. salaries have stagnated since the late 70's and yet everything costs 300% more. It's ridiculous.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

^^True. But there's also a big disparity in salaries. Where the top 1% are making the highest salaries, and the rest of the population isn't making enough to keep up with the high cost of living.

^^I want to see statistics to back that one up.....prices have not been increasing...which is why there is little inflation....

don't make me find my other purse and get out receipts lol
    Silly bitches, twitchy links are NOT for kids!-Mel

U.S. consumer prices flat over past year

CPI rises 0.3% in January as energy prices tick higher

By Rex Nutting, MarketWatch
    Last update: 11:20 a.m. EST Feb. 20, 2009
    Comments: 66

WASHINGTON (MarketWatch) -- With energy prices tumbling 20%, U.S. consumer prices were unchanged over the past 12 months, the lowest inflation rate since 1955, the Labor Department reported Friday.

In January, the consumer price index rose a seasonally adjusted 0.3%, as expected by economists surveyed by MarketWatch. It was, the government said, the first increase since July.
    Energy prices rose 1.7% last month, also the first increase since July.
    The core CPI -- the measure of retail-level inflation that strips out food and energy prices to get a better handle on underlying inflationary trends -- increased 0.2% on a seasonally adjusted basis, higher than the 0.1% gain expected by economists for January. It's the largest gain in the CPI since August. See Economic Calendar.
    Over the past 12 months, the core CPI is up 1.7%, the lowest rate seen for core inflation since mid-2004. Read the full report.
    Most economists believe the annualized CPI rate will go negative in February even if energy prices continue to inch higher. The global recession is forcing producers to slash prices in the face of falling demand for many commodities.
    "We expect to see the headline CPI fall close to 2% on average this year," said Nigel Gault, chief U.S. economist for IHS Global Insight.
    "Disinflation pressure is still intense and will stay that way for some time," wrote Ian Shepherdson, chief domestic economist for High Frequency Economics.
    Some economists are beginning to worry about deflation -- a general decline in prices and wages. Even the Federal Reserve has signaled that deflation is now a greater immediate threat than inflation, although the U.S. central bank's policy makers recognize the risks of inflation bubbling up again in a few years if they do not slow down the growth of money supply. See related story.
    Other economists said fears of deflation are overblown.
    There's not "even a sliver of evidence" that shelter prices are falling, which would be required to get to deflation, said Stephen Stanley, chief economist for RBS Greenwich Capital.
    As long as the economy avoids the abyss of depression, "we believe that core inflation will accelerate as activity normalizes," he said.
    Details of the CPI
    With prices rising 0.3% for urban workers and average hourly earnings also up 0.3%, weekly earnings fell 0.1% in January on an inflation-adjusted, or real, basis.
    Real weekly earnings are up 3.4% in the past year. Over that time, 3.6 million jobs have been lost, many of them in low-paying occupations such as temp-help and retail.
    In January, housing prices were unchanged, with large declines in hotel rates and household fuel bills offsetting modest increases in rent and homeownership costs. Housing costs, which represent 43% of the CPI, have fallen 0.2% over the past six months but were up 2.2% in the past year.
    Food prices rose 0.1% in January, putting the annualized rate of increase at 5.3%. Prices of food purchased to consume at home fell 0.1% last month.
    Energy prices rose 1.7%, including a 6% increase in gasoline prices, while natural-gas and fuel-oil prices dropped. Energy prices are down 20.4% in the past year.
    Although they rose 0.3% for January, apparel prices are down 0.9% in the past year.
    Transportation prices increased 1.3% on the recent move higher in gasoline prices. Prices for new car prices rose 0.3%, while air fares fell 2.1%.
    January's medical-care prices rose 0.4%, the biggest gain in a year.
    Tobacco prices increased 0.8% on the month.
    Rex Nutting is Washington bureau chief of MarketWatch.

Print
    Disable Live Quotes
    Subscribe to RSS

Yahoo! Buzz

Recommend this story : 4

Save and tag this story

Comments: 66
    Consumer prices flat? It's been my experience that prices keep going up. Is there anyone out there who's actually seen prices for goods remain unchanged over the past 12 months? Just curious.
    - Boom2Bust.com
    Add Comment

(66) - View Comments on this story

**note that it says that salaries are increasing as well.....

^^ That's a 12 month study, do one for 20 years.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    well another genesis of this issue that is that salaries have not kept pace with the price of anything.. salaries have stagnated since the late 70's and yet everything costs 300% more. It's ridiculous.
    tell me about it

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    ^^ That's a 12 month study, do one for 20 years.

It states that the inflation rate is the lowest since 1955.....

um, as an example look at the housing market.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by cynic View Post
    It states that the inflation rate is the lowest since 1955.....

It states over the last 12 months.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

The housing market is a good example, when my parents were house shopping in the 60s, it was about a year's salary, give or take, for an average home. Now a year's salary for most people wouldn't buy a decent shack...
    Is it Happy Hour yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    um, as an example look at the housing market.
    ....which housing market?....North Carolina real estate did not take huge jumps and now it is not taking huge falls.....California and Florida are huge markets but are not typical for all of the U.S......

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    It states over the last 12 months.
    ...inflation today is the lowest since 1955, why would you not look at the past 12 months to compare?.....do you disagree that inflation is low today?..if you don't, argue with the Labor Department.....

Quote Originally Posted by eeyore0101 View Post
    The housing market is a good example, when my parents were house shopping in the 60s, it was about a year's salary, give or take, for an average home. Now a year's salary for most people wouldn't buy a decent shack...
    ...but only one parent was working, right?.....if both had been working, then double their salaries to compare with today.....
    Last edited by Tati; February 23rd, 2009 at 06:37 PM.

It doesn't matter if inflation was only 0.3% last year. Tell me what was inflation for a 20 year trend, then talk to me about how prices haven't gone up.

Quote Originally Posted by cynic View Post
    ...but only one parent was working, right?.....if both had been working, then double their salaries to compare with today.....

But then wouldn't the fact that it takes two people to now work to afford what one could afford before prove the point of huge housing market price jumps?

Plus 2 average salaries these days don't buy much house either. Especially not NY/NJ area.
    Is it Happy Hour yet?

Elite Member

Default re

The core CPI -- the measure of retail-level inflation that strips out food and energy prices to get a better handle on underlying inflationary trends -- increased 0.2% on a seasonally adjusted basis, higher than the 0.1% gain expected by economists for January. It's the largest gain in the CPI since August. See Economic Calendar.
    Over the past 12 months, the core CPI is up 1.7%, the lowest rate seen for core inflation since mid-2004. Read the full report.
    The CPI strips out food and energy prices. It does not accurately reflect the hit that people are taking in their pocket books.

When I read your quote, I knew that when I checked the article that I would find that food and energy prices weren't included. I am not an economist and I don't know if this stat is intentionally used for obfuscation, but I am a woman who buys groceries for my family and I know where our money goes.

PS. My daughter got accepted to college today. The college she was accepted to costs 5 times as much as the college I went to--a very good one--30 years ago. Yet, my husband and I together make just about 10-15% more than my father made on his own 30 years ago. Yes, 30 years ago. Yeah, let's see how we swing that.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information