Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Barack Obama's grandmother dies

That's a lovely speech. I'm sure his grandmother was so proud of him. I wish she could have made it to election day too, tomorrow will be bittersweet for him.

Comment from Reddit:
    " I've already seen some people calling for a death certificate to prove it's not a stunt for pity votes. I've given up looking for a bottom to how low they can go."

That is pretty low.
    "If you are not outraged, then you are not paying attention," Heather Heyer's facebook quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Belindagogo View Post
    In what was clearly a very difficult portion of his address Monday night in North Carolina, Barack Obama spoke for several minutes on this grandmother's death from cancer Sunday night.

At one point, it seemed, he was moved to tears.

Calling it a "bittersweet time" in his life, there were moments when one could detect the sadness in his voice and face. The crowd in Charlotte did its best to pull him along, screaming out words of support as he detailed Madelyn Dunham's life and drew from it threads that weaved into his candidacy and message. It was a poignant moment: the woman who helped raise him passing away just hours before the election.
    No matter what happens tomorrow, I'm going to feel good about how it has turned out because all of you have created this remarkable campaign. She is gone home. And she died peacefully in her sleep, with my sister at her side. And so, there is great joy as well as tears. I'm not going to talk about it too long because it is hard, a little, to talk about. I want everybody to know though a little bit about her. Her name was Madelyn Dunham. And she was born in Kansas in a small town in 1922. Which means she lived through the Great Depression, she lived through two world wars, she watched her husband go off to war, while she looked after her baby and worked on a bomber assembly line. When her husband came back they benefited from the GI bill, they moved west and eventually ended up in Hawaii.
    She was somebody who was a very humble person, a very plainspoken person. She is one of those quiet heroes we have all across America, who are not famous, their names are not in the newspapers, but each and every day they work hard. They look after their families. They sacrifice for their children, and their grandchildren. They aren't seeking the limelight. All they try to do is do the right thing. And in this crowd, there are a lot of quiet heroes like that, people like that, mothers and fathers and grandparents who have worked hard and sacrificed all their lives and the satisfaction that they get is in seeing their children or maybe their grandchildren or their great-grandchildren live a better life than they did. That is what America is about. That is what we are fighting for.
    Obama On Grandmother And Campaign: "Bittersweet"
    Beautiful, but very sad..him and his family are in my prayers..
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

RIP. You did an awesome job, honey! It's time to go on where there is no more suffering. You will have the best seat in the house to watch your legacy reach its pinnacle.

Someone said this about his grandmother passing,"A mother will sacrifice everything for her child. She won't be here on Earth to see him win, but she will be watching, and maybe the timing was her last effort to push her grandson to greatness."

Kinda made me wonder.

My deepest sympathy to the Obama and Dunham family at this bittersweet time. McCain plans on campaigning again tomorrow. IMO that shows true desperation. He's now on his own robocall mode repeating his same old story. Out of respect to this courageous man, Barack Obama, I hope people get up off their asses and stump tomorrow and most importantly VOTE. If McShame wins they stole it - AGAIN!
    as privileged as a whore...victims in demand for public show, swept out through the cracks beneath the door, holier than thou, how?

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Here's the video:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gD6KKNgeFfA[/YOUTUBE]
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

I heard about this earlier tonight and thought it's a shame that she couldn't live to see Barry become President (God willing). But at least he got to see her before she died. R.I.P Toot.

And all of the idiots that kept acting like he was 'faking' how sick she was and making such a big deal about him taking his campaign plane to see her should feel like shit. But of course they won't.

Quote Originally Posted by buttmunch View Post
    Here's the video:

[youtube]gD6KKNgeFfA[/youtube]

That was a good tribute to his grandmother.

that Video brought me to tears. RIP
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Wow, I have tears in my eyes right now. She did so many admirable things in her lifetime, its sad to see our elderly passing away. They've witnessed so much. I just wish she could have hung on a few more days, but maybe it was merciful if the pain was bad. God bless her and their family.
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

U.S. Democratic presidential nominee Senator Barack Obama (D-IL) wipes a tear from his eye as he speaks about his grandmother who died earlier on Monday, during a campaign rally in Charlotte, North Carolina November 3, 2008. On the eve of Tuesday's U.S. presidential election, Obama's grandmother Madelyn Dunham died after a battle with cancer.

^^Countdown to a Republican tries to say "Look Obama's crying, he's weak." 5..4...3...2..

A*O

This man is showing his true mettle. I can't imagine the stress and pressure he's under, let alone the personal grief he's coping with that most people can do in private. The more I see Obama and the dignity and integrity with which he conducts himself the more certain I am he's the right man for the job.

We are about to witness a watershed in American and world history. This man is going to be an outstanding President.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

I hope she died in her sleep dreaming of Obama being President.

This is a top news story here in Australia. We have a great affection for Obama - this morning on a morning news show there was a phone poll about who we would vote for if McCain or Obama was running for Prime Minister... I think it was 89% Obama!

Australia will be airing who the President is live, because not only is this a change for America... it changes the world. I have my fingers crossed they will announce it is Obama.
    ssabmud

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

This man is showing his true mettle. I can't imagine the stress and pressure he's under, let alone the personal grief he's coping with that most people can do in private. The more I see Obama and the dignity and integrity with which he conducts himself the more certain I am he's the right man for the job.

We are about to witness a watershed in American and world history. This man is going to be an outstanding President.

Couldn't have said it better myself. He's compassionate but still focused. He is a man of true mettle.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Eh, it was the evil, racist grandmother. No tears here.

p.s. I know that 99.9 % of the board disagrees. I don't care. And repugs, please don't agree with me. I hate you more.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information